RSTV Questions

mrswh

Looking into the RSTV and had a few questions. How easy is it to install? Would someone who isn't familiar with it be able to install it properly? Can it stay in the car or do you have to re-thread and re-tether it every time? Also, I saw one review where the person said it was made for larger children - would I be able to get my slim DD snug enough in it? (She is 44.5", 41 lbs.)

Thanks for any insight! :)

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
There are two sizes, so I'm sure your daughter would fit wonderfully in the small.

You need to rethread it every time. The seatbelt goes in front of the child after they're buckled into the vest. They can't get out without undoing the seatbelt. You can leave it tethered, but it needs to be rethreaded every time.

I'll trust Piper in other people's cars with it because she knows how it goes, but I wouldn't trust someone else to just know how to do it. At least not the old style. It's not like a carseat where you buckle through the beltpath and you're basically done.

How old is your DD?

Wendy

littleangelfire

I left one side of ours threaded, it slides through two clips - you can leave the shoulder one threaded and leave it in the car, and just rethread the other portion (the lap portion) each time.

mrswh

Wendy, thanks for the info. It's more the tethering that sounded like a pain to re-do every time. Is the seat belt threading pretty easy to do?

My DD just turned 6. I wouldn't trust her to do it herself, she can't even get in and out of her Marathon on her own. :eek:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
At six and 41 pounds I'd be absolutely comfortable with a high back booster. That would be easier for most people to figure out.

Piper can't really do up her own RSTV, but she knows what's right and what's not and she directs people on it. She can get the lap, but not the shoulder.

She must be all legs if she still fits into the Marathon by height. Wow. Lucky. Short torsoed kids are the envy of the carseat world.

Wendy

mrswh

At six and 41 pounds I'd be absolutely comfortable with a high back booster. That would be easier for most people to figure out.

Piper can't really do up her own RSTV, but she knows what's right and what's not and she directs people on it. She can get the lap, but not the shoulder.

She must be all legs if she still fits into the Marathon by height. Wow. Lucky. Short torsoed kids are the envy of the carseat world.

Wendy

Her seated shoulder height is 14" so she has another 2" (or 4.5 inches total height) before she grows out of the Marathon by height. Great to be short-torsoed now, but I can attest that it will be difficult to find proper fitting shirts when she grows up! :)

The reason I am looking at the vest is mainly for travel, so we don't have to lug or check car seats - but will need something to use at our destination. I was curious as a side note whether the vest is something that would work for play dates or say, my Mom's car.

Thanks!!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Ah, gotchya.

The RSTV is ok for playdates as long as your daughter knows how to buckle it up. She likely won't be able to do it herself, but she can guide the adult to do it properly. It's not a traditional seat, nor a booster. It's not difficult, just different.

Same for your mom, or you can show your mom.

It's also great for carpooling when three traditional seats won't fit across your backseat.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC