More Mazda 5 Questions...

Chely7425

Ok, I have a few questions about the Mazda 5, I know there are a bunch of threads about it but I didn't see my exact questions.

1. How is it with Radian installs? Both RF and FF in both rows..
2. How big is the trunk really... are there any double strollers out there that would fit in it?
3. If you were putting 3 RF seats or 2 RF and 1 FF how would you arrange them?

ADS

LuvMyCharlie

1. Can go RF or FF in second row. Incompatible with third row.

2. My baby jogger city mini double fits lying down if the third row is folded. It will also stand up behind the third row with wheels off.

3. RF'ers in third row, FF in second. Or 1 RF in third and 1 RF and one FF in second. Easy to load RF from hatch.

chay

1. RF and FF 2nd row are great. I thought I had a successful RF 3rd row install but it's been a while so maybe I'm remembering wrong - FF was a for sure no 3rd row

2. My only double is a Chariot (it's ginormous and needs the whole 3rd row down) so no help there

3. option 1 - If your oldest is cooperative and will climb back there on their own and not put up a huge fight then I'd put the FF in the back, bucket and RF Radian 2nd row (but that would require a new FF seat based on your siggy).

option 2 - Radians 2nd row, bucket third - load from the hatch. Not sure how much space your passenger would have with the seats moved up enough for the RF Radian and RF bucket behind that though.... I'd try it but my bucket is on loan. Otherwise a FF Radian in front of the bucket (with the parental decision to not have the 2nd row seat all the way back - I think you've read that thread already so that will make sense - if not I can elaborate).

Chely7425

We are planning on buying a new FF seat for my oldest... Probably a nautilus or a frontier... more likely a nauti since it is cheaper! Would it be possible to put 2 RF seats in the 2nd row and then a FF seat in the 3rd row and fold half the 3rd row down so he could climb in that way?

chay

I occasionally have my nephew in a Nautilus in the 3rd row (and my 2 are both 2nd row RF in a RN and MA - I don't bother moving my seats if its only for a day). My kids almost always go under their seat and then climb in from the middle regardless of which side I load from (it's a big game for them and heaven forbid I try to help or -gasp- lift them into their seat directly). There is lots of room under a Radian to limbo ;) My nephew just does the same thing and goes to the back and does his own harness (he's almost 4) and then I tighten from the door. I've also loaded him (and even my 2) from the back with 1/2 of it down and it works great as well. I'm short so I have to climb in the back to tighten him (or go around to the side which I have to do for my 2 anyways). With a bucket you could also let them in before snapping in the bucket (I used to do that when DD was little - at least that way DS was contained).

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
1. 2nd row is great both RF and FF; 3rd row is fine RF but incompatible FF.

2. Can't answer because I've never tried putting any kind of stroller in there, but I have a pic for you that demonstrates the amount of depth you get:

IMG_1060.jpg

The interior is black, so I know it's kind of hard to see, but that booster on the left is a Graco Air backless. It's nearly the same dimensions as the backless Graco Turbo. The bottom of the cargo area is deeper than the top, and both types of booster fit perfectly in the cargo area if I set them in just like the one in the pic, because they get the depth at the bottom and the narrower part of the booster is in the narrowest part of the cargo area.

It's a really, really small cargo area.

ETA: Also, my laptop fits back there perfectly laying down horizontally, if that helps you picture it any better.

bairnns

I'm considering this car also but I have a big concern. I have a large stroller; it will fit with the third row down, and probably in a pinch with just one of the third row seats down.

But there are no cargo hooks (other than plastic ones) to restrain anything. I have a Sienna now; I stand the stroller upright behind the third row. Most of the stroller's weight is at the level of a passenger's feet, and vertical there is no way it could fit over the seats to harm a passenger. I have lots of stuff jammed in the other side (mostly sacks of canvas shopping bags, diaper bag, bags with extra jackets, etc.- harmless) so the stroller is highly unlikely to end up hurting a passenger.

However, if I lie it down flat as I would in a Mazda5, it'll end up in some baby's lap in a crash, or on the back of my teenager's head. As will anything I buy on a trip to Costco or the grocery store.

Has anyone found an effective way to restrain cargo in this vehicle?

Lori

Last edited:

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Has anyone found an effective way to restrain cargo in this vehicle?

No, I haven't. You've definitely hit on a problem with this vehicle. I think I've carried cargo AND kids in may car maybe once the entire time I've had it - my kids are older and I can just leave them at home if I need to haul stuff.

In fact, I just finished a tech class and the new techs were helping me load all the training seats I brought into my vehicle, and one of them called them "Debbie's Projectiles." :eek: The entire back of my vehicle is crammed with carseats, and all I can do is hope I don't get in a wreck! I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable having my kids ride with me like this.

jewlsvern

One of our 5's had a cargo cover that went across the 3rd row. It was retractable and could only be used if the entire 3rd row was flat but it's an option.

bairnns

That's an anti-theft cargo cover. It's used so that your possessions aren't visible from outside the car; reduces the likelihood that someone will break in to steal your laptop or whatever. Unfortunately, it isn't crash-safe.

I need to carry my stroller at minimum. Even if I took it in and out every day, I need it at the same time I need to carry a baby! Plus I just carry lots of junk in my van. Most is soft stuff (diaper bag, picnic blanket, extra jackets, and my cloth shopping bags); some not so soft (a sack of sand toys). But sometimes I need to reconfigure my car on the run- yesterday maybe I had three kids with two carseats and a booster; today I pick up my teen and two of her friends need a ride. Carseat comes out and goes in the back.

And then of course there's grocery shopping and Costco...which I often do with a toddler in tow.

Looking at the Subaru Outback and VW Jetta Wagon now...

Lori

skipspin

A Maclaren Quest type stroller fits great folded behind the third row. With the headrests up I don't think it could fly anywhere. I also put my Phil and Teds double in the back with all seats in use- I just pop the back wheels off.

If I put it in the back with one seat down I put the seatbelt around it so it wouldn't be able to hit anyone back there in a crash.

For someone with 2-3 kids there is an option for some stuff hauling- depending on what it is. For someone with 4 you're going to be more limited.

I usually have my DS2 Rfing in the second row drivers side, DS1 FFing 3rd row, and DD switches from the 2nd to 3rd row depending- she's in a booster. I carry another person or two (one adult in front) somewhat regularly and it's not bad. I put the diaper bag and other light stuff all behind DS2s Rfing seat- there is tons of room there. In fact, my SIL's Graco umbrella stroller fits in the floor behind two rfing seats great when I take her and the baby with me to the zoo/etc. When we do that I take my Phil and Teds in the back- so we are full.

luckyclov

My 5 was a 2008, so my answers are based on that (I know there's been changes, specifically to the 3rd row seatbelts since then).

1. How is it with Radian installs? Both RF and FF in both rows..
-Solid install both FF and RF, SB and LATCH in either 2nd row seat. No go in the 3rd row, either way.

2. How big is the trunk really... are there any double strollers out there that would fit in it?
-With the 3rd row folded flat, there's space galore. It was awesome, awesome, awesome when we were a family of 4. The 3rd row is a 50/50 split (folds flat), but anything there, is *right next* to the other person riding in the 3rd row. With the 3rd row up, the space is reallllllllllly tight. I could fit a Chicco Capri in there just fine, laying down. And an Aria upright. Any joggers I had didn't fit with the 3rd row up. I never had a double in there. They have cargo thingies, but as someone else mentioned, with the 3rd row up, and the headrests up (locked), I'd feel pretty comfortable. There really isn't a reallllllllly good securing stuff method to this car.

3. If you were putting 3 RF seats or 2 RF and 1 FF how would you arrange them?
I've only installed FF seats in the 3rd row. Pretty much anything works in the 2nd row.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC