Church Van Question

mamom

Legally, can children under 8 ride in a church van without booster/car seats. I know that this is DEFINATELY not safe. I am attempting to get them to change to a school bus based soley on the legalities.

ADS

MomToEliEm

Here is the exceptions to the law for Indiana:

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/2010/title9/ar19/ch11.html
Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to a person who operates any of the following vehicles:
(1) A school bus.
(2) A taxicab.
(3) An ambulance.
(4) A public passenger bus.
(5) A motor vehicle having a seating capacity greater than nine (9) individuals that is owned or leased and operated by a religious or not-for-profit youth organization.
(6) An antique motor vehicle.
(7) A motorcycle.
(8) A motor vehicle that is owned or leased by a governmental unit and is being used in the performance of official law enforcement duties.
(9) A motor vehicle that is being used in an emergency.
(10) A motor vehicle that is funeral equipment used in the operation of funeral services when used in:
(A) a funeral procession;
(B) the return trip to a funeral home (as defined in IC 25-15-2-15); or
(C) both the funeral procession and return trip.

Pixels

Also:
IC 9-19-11-3.7
Exception; child over 40 pounds; lap safety belt
Sec. 3.7. Notwithstanding sections 2 and 3.6 of this chapter, a person may operate a motor vehicle in which there is a child who weighs more than forty (40) pounds and who is properly restrained and fastened by a lap safety belt if:
(1) the motor vehicle is not equipped with lap and shoulder safety belts; or
(2) not including the operator's seat and the front passenger seat:
(A) the motor vehicle is equipped with one (1) or more lap and shoulder safety belts; and
(B) all the lap and shoulder safety belts are being used to properly restrain other children who are less than sixteen (16) years of age.

mamom

So, correct me if I am wrong, legally they can use the van :( to transport the children but my 36# 5 year old would still need restraints?

Pixels

If the van has more than 9 seats, no child restraints are legally required.

If the van has 9 or fewer seats, your 36 pounder must be properly restrained in any case. Children over 40 pounds are allowed to use just the lap belt if all available lap-shoulder belts are being used for children under 16 years of age.

mamom

Thanks for all of your quick replys (I hate being wrong :) I did call them and tell them that they yes could legally use the vans, but that for safety reasons my child could not attend, it is an after school activity and the children would be taken directly from the school (she rides a bus to school) and I have another child that rides a different bus to get off, so I could not drive her myself.

Athena

Good for you for doing what you could to make a difference. It is possible that with time, the fact that you said something and withdrew your child from the field trip will make them think twice about this. After all, it's the laws of physics that really matter.

R

Regina

What would these same questions be for Kentucky car seat requirements? Thanks...

MelodyoftheForest

In case you or someone else would like help interpreting, it looks like appropriate car seats or boosters are required in passenger vehicles meant to carry 15 or fewer passengers. Seats/boosters are not required for children who are at least 8 years old or 57 inches tall. Children must be harnessed until at least 40 inches tall.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC