EPS/EPP Foam.

purplemama

How much does it matter to you? I *REALLY* like how the Safety 1st Onside Air "looks" (I've yet to try it). But it has no foam. Just silly air pillow thingys. It's on sale this week for $80 at Meijer and I really am tempted to buy it to see if it'll fit center in my vehicle. It looks very narrow. But I'm just bothered but the lack of foam. And the fact that when I did a search on here to find out more I found that it's a Scenera shell with air pillow thingys and a different looking cover. So maybe I should just buy a Scenera. But I like the way the Onside Air looks. Silly me, I actually like black and grey seats.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Well, those air cushions test as well or better than EPP foam, according to Dorel. And the Scenera has NO foam. So, it's a step up from that, even though the air cushions obviously won't be at the right place for EVERY child. :)

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Well...the air pillow things act the same way as foam would, reducing force by absorbing/dispersing the impact forces.
So...I sort of agree and disagree with you.
I agree that EPS/EPP/air pilows *ARE* an important part of a seat..I think the reduction in impact forces, especially for the head, is quite important. However - I include the air pillows in the same category as EPS/EPP foam, so the whole premise of your quandary is moot, in my opinion.

If you truly don't believe the pillows do anything, then get a scenera.. But I personally think the pillows are worth something, so I would absolutely get the OA over a scenera, unless the cost were absolutely prohibitive.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Well...the air pillow things act the same way as foam would, reducing force by absorbing/dispersing the impact forces.
So...I sort of agree and disagree with you.
I agree that EPS/EPP/air pilows *ARE* an important part of a seat..I think the reduction in impact forces, especially for the head, is quite important. However - I include the air pillows in the same category as EPS/EPP foam, so the whole premise of your quandary is moot, in my opinion.

If you truly don't believe the pillows do anything, then get a scenera.. But I personally think the pillows are worth something, so I would absolutely get the OA over a scenera, unless the cost were absolutely prohibitive.

It's so nice, I thought it should be said twice. :thumbsup:

In short, EPP=EPS=Pillow thingies. They all do the same thing, they are equal at protecting the head. Pillow thingies may even be superior at absorbing energy. It's a plastic bag with some foam in it, so I don't know why the OA is so much more expensive than the Scenera (ok, I do, it's to pay for the research that went into it, pretty soon it should be cheaper). But I'd trust it as much as EPS or EPP with my own kid's head :twocents::)

monstah

What bugs me is that the air pillows in the OA are really thin. IMO, the OA pillows are more about markup for the company. But that's my opinion, I obviously wasn't present during testing. ;)

I *REALLY* like how the Safety 1st Onside Air "looks" (I've yet to try it).
Have you ever tried a Scenera? They are identical. The cover just extends over the "feet" and it has the pillows. Otherwise identical so if you like the Scenera, you'd like the OA. :D

Onside Air vs. Rumi pics

Last edited:

purplemama

Well I had my enabler of a DH pick one up yesterday. It's going right back. :( I just like the "look" of it but I hated it just playing with it. My itty bitty 2 year old was really squished in it. I just didn't like it and it doesn't fit where I wanted it to. It looks very skinny but really isn't. So much for that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC