Help~~ Where do I find CT laws

Shancouchon

The other insurance company is giving me a hard time!! Saying that they will only replace the occupied seats!~ I said I was told it was okay to buy new seats- now they are "reviewing" them UGHHH

Where do I find the State of CT guidelines on replacing seats after an accident???

ADS

Shancouchon

NHTSA

Not sure where my original post went to but came across some information I don't know what to do with?

NHTSA is basically saying they have reversed their decision on car seat replacement? Under their new advisement I do not have to replace any??? THe other car insurance co is seriously giving me the run around and I have been stuck at home for days. HELP what should I do?

Dillipop

Re: NHTSA

But what does your carseat manual say? If it says to replace after any crash, it needs to be replaced. Doesn't matter what NHTSA says. If insurance is giving a hard time, show them your manual. If that doesn't work, call the carseat manufacturer and get them to send you the policy in writing to hand into insurance.

Pixels

NHTSA has had the same advice for years.

What do the manufacturers of your carseats say? Most say in the owner's manual to replace after any crash. A few follow NHTSA guidelines.

There is an article in the Articles forum on getting insurance to play ball when it comes to replacing seats after a crash.

Pixels

As far as I know, only California and Illinois (?) have laws regarding insurance replacement after a crash.

The insurance company needs to make you whole. That means that any of your property which was destroyed by their insured (ie your carseats) needs to be compensated.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Members from CT could probably provide you more input on that, but I'm not aware of a specific CT law requiring insurance companies to replace a crashed carseat. Illinois and California have state laws for replacing occupied crashed carseats, and there are some general insurance replacement pointers in this article at http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=9575 that might help you out more in your situation. The tips in that linked article, plus the carseat manufacturer's replacement criteria for your specific carseats which do not differentiate between an occupied and unoccupied carseat involved in a crash, could be persuasive if you haven't already raised those points with the insurance company. Getting your own insurance company involved to go to bat for you with the other driver's company could also be helpful. :twocents:

Shancouchon

I am getting so frustrated. I already had the carseat manufactures generate a letter about replacing seats (Graco, Dorel, and Sunshine). They are still "reviewing" it and again tried to say they would only replace the 4 occupied instead of all of them. I was trying to research CT laws on replacement and stumbled upon that. I will head to the article section now. thanks!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member

Your other thread was moved to Carseat Chat. I merged this one with it for continuity's sake. :)

Shancouchon

Hi ladies, well a very nice and calm man called me from Safeco and we came to an agreement. They are going to replace all of my harnessed seats but they are not going to replace my graco turbo boosters. I was completely fine with this outcome and have since installed my new seats into the van.
To answer the question yes, my seats all would have passed the NHTSA requirements but they went by my graco and dorel manuals.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Well if you're satisfied with that then that's great! :thumbsup:

Now, the important question...are you going to replace them with the same seats? LOL :D

I am in CT and DH was in a fender bender with two seats in the car, a graco turbo booster and a britax marathon, The marathon did not need to be replaced as it passed the guidelines, and britax goes by that.. but the turbobooster did need to be replaced, what ended up happening though was that there was so little damage to our car and if we went ahead and fixed it and had them replace the turbobooster, we would have to pay the 500 dollar deductable, and honestly a few scratches on the fender and a turbo booster really were not worth that.. so we replaced the turbo out of pocket and wiped the scratches off with a mr clean magic eraser (which works btw) That was that.. the other driver was at fault I guess.. she was supposed to have been.:whistle:

I do not think there is a law, I think that they are supposed to replace the seat if the manufacturer says to weather they want to or not. you pay them:whistle: you are the customer, you need to get what you pay for IMO

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC