Help Picking out a New Convertable Seat, please!

mkbdvm

So, we currently have old-ish about 4 years old britax roundabouts that my almost 11 month old daughter (not sure of her current stats but she is BIG..at least 23 lbs) is riding in. THey will expire soon and we need 2 new carseats for her. One for DH's F150 (tiny back seat-bench style) and one for my mazda 5.

Any suggestions?

I loved my britax roundabout for ease of install, ease of strap adjustment (loosening and tightening).

Thanks!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
If they're four years old then they have two more years on them. If you love them, I'd continue to use them until your daughter either outgrows them or they do expire.

Wendy

mkbdvm

Well, one of them was in DH's car when he was rear ended. Also, I think the manufacture year on them is 2005, DD was born in 2006.

One def. needs to be replaced (as does our frontier that was also in the vehicle when he was rear ended)

:)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
If the crash meets the NHTSA minor collision standards, Britax is ok with you continuing to use the seat.

Minor crashes are those that meet ALL of the following criteria:

◦The vehicle was able to be driven away from the crash site;

◦The vehicle door nearest the safety seat was undamaged;

◦There were no injuries to any of the vehicle occupants;

◦The air bags (if present) did not deploy; AND

◦There is no visible damage to the safety seat

And they expire next year, so you do have time.

For her next convertibles, though, unless you wait until next year, I'd look at the Sunshine Kids Radian, Safety 1st Complete Air, Evenflo Triumph 65, Graco My Ride, and Learning Curve True Fits (these are the only ones with a 35 pound rear facing weight limit. The others are 40-45 pounds).

Wendy

mkbdvm

Thanks! It was a minor fender bender and meets all the requirements, but our insurance sent us a letter saying they'd replace the seats, so why not, right?

OF those you mentioned, which one is smallest front to back? We have a hard time getting comfy in the F150 with the RF car seat.
:scratcheshead:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Complete Air and Triumph 65 are probably the two smallest, the True Fit is right there with them. Remember at her age, though, she doesn't need a 45 degree angle. With that tiny backseat, though, you may have issues. BRU has the Complete Air and Triumph 65, so you can try them in your car before you buy.

Wendy

arly1983

Also depends on the car. Out of the seats Wendy mentioned, in my van, the MR is the smallest installed from front to back. Its pretty wide though.

Really trying them out in your cars before buying if its at all possible is best.

ETA: Also the new britax convertables are pretty small, you can also see if you can find them in a Toyrus/BabiesRus.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC