seat for huge 2 year old

amelia222

My daycare provider's dd just turned 2, and is nearing 50lb. She's not overly tall, maybe 35"? Just...wide. She's in an EFTA so its pretty much outgrown by weight (47lb limit)

I need some reccomendations for her on seats that will last until she's ready for a booster. Her mom knows she needs to be harnessed even though she is over the legal minimum of 40lb, so at least I don't have to fight that battle, but she doesn't want to buy a new seat.

I was talking to her today and her hope is that dd will start to thin out soon and not keep gaining??? I do feel for her when she is having to buy size 7 clothes for her just turned 2 year old.

ADS

Jan06twinmom

I think the Britax Frontier 85 would be the best option. Even a Regent - if you can find one - would be better than most other harnessed seats with the 85lb limit.

Do you know if there is a medical condition causing the baby to be so heavy? It really sounds like the baby is overweight. My DS is at the top of the charts (97th percentile) and he's wearing size 6 clothing. If there is a medical condition causing the child to be so heavy, I'm wondering if a special needs seat with a higher weight limit might be necessary.

Melanie

Evolily

My guess is money is a concern?

Her options, in Canada, to harness above 50 lbs appear to be these seats-
Evenflo Symphony
Britax Frontier
Graco Nautilus
Cosco Apex
65 lb rated Britax Convertibles
Sunshine Kids Radian
First Years True Fit
Graco My Ride

The Apex probably stands out as the best affordable solution. She would have room width wise and it would turn into a booster should she go over 65 lbs. She would need headrests or a seat back behind the child's head.

If that isn't an option, I, personally, would go with the Evenflo Symphony or Britax Frontier. I would say the Graco Nautilus however I am afraid the child wouldn't fit width wise. With a child this heavy I would want her to have a seat that converts to a booster as it's possible the child will reach the weight limit soon, and I would rather the child be boostered than ride in an outgrown harness.

It may be that mom needs to look at a special needs seat or somehow getting permission to import from the US. It's a tough situation :( .

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
To be perfectly honest, I would go with the Britax Frontier 85, as well, but obviously the Britax Frontier XT in Canada. I would rather see SAFETY come before legality, and if that meant using the seat to 65.9999999lbs without clothing or shoes, considering the US weight limit...I wouldn't hesitate, were the child still under the age of 5.

-Nicole.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
It may be that mom needs to look at a special needs seat or somehow getting permission to import from the US. It's a tough situation :( .

BTW we DO have special needs seats in Canada. There's no need to import one.. But so long as the child fits in a non-special needs seat that is commonly available, this isn't a special needs issue.

-Nicole.

capeKO71

I had a 27 month old, 50lb+ child come in a few weeks ago. Poor thing... he could barely walk.

I didn't have a frontier, so I put him in a Radian XTSL. Mom didn't have a top tether (not that this is an issue in CA since it's required by law), but this made the most sense.

The child was also short, and wide... not tall.

He fit in the seat nicely. I think because it didn't have too much of a side wall, it worked well. I know he'll need a booster when he hits that height limit, but I'm not too worried that he'll hit the weight limit before he hits an appropriate booster age. And honestly, we might want to get him into something like a SK Monterey since it's wide.

I do like the option of the Apex for mom if she's on a budget. It is a great seat for a wider child. I don't carry them because many of my parents have older cars without head rests. I do have the Evenflo Generations, but for this situation, I felt the extra weight limit made sense.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC