New here and a few questions!

mrswh

Hi, I'm new here but so happy to have found a group where I won't be seen as the neurotic crazy carseat lady. (Well, I guess that's yet to be seen.) :)

I have two kiddos, both stayed RF until age 3.5. DD(6, 1st grade) is 41 lbs. and in a Britax Marathon (still with LATCH). DS (4) is 32 lbs. and also in a Marathon with LATCH.

Two questions:

(1) What do you all do with your car seats when you travel and need them at your destination? Until now I have had both kids in them on the plane, but now that DD is over 40 lbs. she is (theoretically) OK to be in the plane's lap belt. It sure would be nice to not have to lug her car seat through the airport, but I am afraid to check it - I have seen what they do to checked bags! Has anyone found a carseat bag that actually protects the seat? All the reviews seem to focus on keeping the seat clean rather than keeping the seat intact and undamaged.

(2) What do you do about school field trips, play dates, etc.? I can't have anyone else pick up my kids because everyone I know has even their 3-4 year olds in regular boosters. Last year (when DD was in Kindergarten) I drove her on every single field trip, and couldn't bring another child b/c I have DS's seat installed (and can't get it tight enough for my liking - need DH for that) and don't have a 3rd row. She really wants to go with other kids. This week she has a field trip where they are going on the school bus (ack!). How do you balance the social issues with the safety issues?

Thanks for any insight, advice, or suggestions!! :)

ADS

firemomof3

Hi and welcome :)
I would start booster training your 6y/o. As long as she is developmentally "normal" and of average height then I would pick up a Graco Turbobooster (or something else if you don't care for the TB, there are several nice boosters we routinely recommend :)) As for traveling; I would bring a TB along with you and never check a car seat...ever. Car seat bags are gimics and don't work. Airline personnel routinely just toss car seats around because they simply don't understand.

NVMBR02

First off, Welcome!!

My first grader is also 6 (41 pounds too!) and has recently moved to a booster seat full time. I bring the bottom half of a turbobooster with me and I pack the high back portion in a suitcase and surround it with clothing. DD started booster training when she was 5. If she is not ready for a booster seat you may wish to invest in a ride safer travel vest.

DD rides a school bus to and from school. She also does on field trips. I have no issues with this. I don't let her ride with many other people but when she does I simple move her booster (or harnessed seat last year) to the other parent's car.

Most of dd's friends ride in no back booster seats and dd would prefer to as well. I am not comfortable with that so a high backed booster is our compromise. As long as she continues to behave and sit correctly she is allowed the booster seat. If I have to give too many reminders I have no issue with switching out her booster for her old seat though. :thumbsup:

I am not worried about the bus. School buses are very safe. I did talk to dd about the importance of sitting correctly and following all of the rules on the bus. DD by nature is a rule follower so I don't feel I have to worry to much about her.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
What vehicle do you drive? Some vehicles have a LATCH limit of 40# (or less in a couple of cases) and if you have one of those you would need to switch your DD to a seatbelt install if you want to continue using the MA.

mrswh

Thanks for all the responses! :)

First, I wish it was a full size, yellow school bus. Nope. She goes to a private school so it's just a little white one. There isn't a whole lot I can do about it, I don't think I can refuse to allow her to ride the bus with her whole class, so I guess I just have to worry silently on this one.

Techno: I drive a 2008 BMW X5. I had in my head that the LATCH limit is 47 lbs., but I think that's what Britax says - I will have to check my owner's manual. Thanks for pointing that out.

As far as a booster goes, I really want to keep her in a 5-point harness at least . . . would love to hear any recommendations on those. I don't care about price. (Not that we are fabulously wealthy, but in this area we're not looking for a bargain.) She is 44.5", which is short for her age, but not miniscule.

Mommy2two, what is a ride safer travel vest?

Thanks again!! :)

DahliaRW

I agree, the RSTV is great for carpools, rides with friends, and travel. You could get 2 and avoid lugging car seats through the airport all together. If you're worried about your 4yo on the plane, you could rent or purchase a CARES harness for that. I LOVE my RSTV! We're probably going to get a 2nd for travel for ds2 now that he's 3 to avoid having to lug 2 seats through the airport (we travel pretty frequently).

My3Ls

So is it a bus or a passenger van? If its a van they have to follow state laws regarding car seats.
Thanks for all the responses! :)

First, I wish it was a full size, yellow school bus. Nope. She goes to a private school so it's just a little white one. There isn't a whole lot I can do about it, I don't think I can refuse to allow her to ride the bus with her whole class, so I guess I just have to worry silently on this one.

Techno: I drive a 2008 BMW X5. I had in my head that the LATCH limit is 47 lbs., but I think that's what Britax says - I will have to check my owner's manual. Thanks for pointing that out.

As far as a booster goes, I really want to keep her in a 5-point harness at least . . . would love to hear any recommendations on those. I don't care about price. (Not that we are fabulously wealthy, but in this area we're not looking for a bargain.) She is 44.5", which is short for her age, but not miniscule.

Mommy2two, what is a ride safer travel vest?

Thanks again!! :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC