Would you buy a MR if you will not RF to 40 lbs?

Splash

Sam needs a new seat. NO leg room in his Signo. He doesn't complain, I do.
He will only be RF until next June. He's smallish. He'll probably FF around 32-36 pounds. Would you still get a MR or something else? What? Price is no object.

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Sure, why not? I'm considering one for Anna and she'd only use it until March.

I gotta ask why you're planning on turning him in June though. (Curious, not demeaning... Yet :p)

arly1983

The more I am around it, the more I like it and I don't think we will be RFing to 40 lbs either. I will be thrilled to make it to age two.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
If price is no object, and he will fit into the seat for the length of time you need him to fit into it, then just get whatever you LIKE the best, period.

I have nothing against the MR as a RFing seat, except the shorter shell, which in your case won't matter a bit. Sure, why not?

3acorns4Christy

Yes!!

Then again, Joel is still RF in it because in our truck he can kick our seats and does all the time. It hurts, so RF it is!

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I gotta ask why you're planning on turning him in June though. (Curious, not demeaning... Yet :p)

She's said before that the summers are way too hot where she lives and her car doesn't blow air to the back or something? I remember because the thread got ugly, and she finally said something like she would allow people to come down and experience the Florida heat and humidity in the back seat of her car, rearfacing. And being the smartass that I am, I thought to myself "hmmm...I wanna go sit in Splash's car...I don't disagree with her, but maybe I should fake like I do so I can go down and play with Splash.:D " I'm a dork.

Splash

Heat. I've come very very very close to turning him this summer but I felt the risks were too great. At 31 months, though, I think he is better served FF than RF in this heat.

AtTheSouthDam

If money was not an issue, sure. They are comfortable and kids love the cup holders. And I FF DD2 at 4 years. She was only 34#. She still has RF room in nearly all 40+# seats (the new Scenera excluded ;)). Then I would keep it around for road trips. I totally plan on RF DD2 again when make that horrendous drive to Seattle next spring (24 hours in the car with kids, fun!)

lpperry

Yes! My stepdaughter is 6 and she's not 40 pounds yet! She outgrew the Myride by height over weight.

I think my son will never outgrow anything by weight either!

Mommy2Marcus

Yes, I would. I bought one to RF Marcus in for awhile longer, but did not make it to the weight limit before I turned him. I have been in FL in the middle of June & August. That heat & hummitdity together is terrible, awful & will sufficate you. We went to the zoo in Jacksonville in June this year, we drank tons & tons of fluids but we still all got dehydrated anyhow. It was terrible. I do not balme you one bit for turning him in June.

canadiangie

Do children actually make it to 40lbs rf in a MyRide? The shell is tall enough for that?

Anyway, yes, sure I would buy one if that's what I wanted.

And really Splash, you won't keep the seat for more then what? 6mos? maybe 12mos and be sick of it, so who cares. ;) Really. Just buy it. Easy peezy. They are pretty inexpensive up here, so I imagine even less a financial hit down there.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Yes. I have a RadianXTSL and have absolutely zero intentions of RF'ing to 45 pounds in it (because, well, if DD stays on her current growth curve, she will be 8.5 before she hits 45 lbs).

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Let's go over this:

1. you dislike Sam's current seat
  2. the MR is cushy
  3. the MR has cupholders which kids love
  4. the MR fits RF in most vehicles super easy
  5. the MR is inexpensive compared to fancy brands
  6. it will fit Sam for the length of time you need it to
  7. most kids :love: the MR
GET ONE!

Splash

I'm borrowing one for a bit. She brough it over tonight and Sam HATED it until I put something in the cupholder. Then he sold me into slavery to keep it. Now I must convince AJ that there is just NO room left in the signo and I could probably sell it for more than a MR would cost me.

skylinphoto

I just wanted to say that I feel you on the Signo. We have one and I love love love it. But, my tiny 21 lb 2.5 year old has no leg room anymore. Shes all legs and this seat is horrible for legroom. I knew that when buying it but thought we'd do fine since i have small kids..but yeesh.

My son lasted til 2.5 in it and i thought my dd would last longer rfing in it then him..but nope.

we're looking for another seat for her right now.

NannyMom

Do children actually make it to 40lbs rf in a MyRide? The shell is tall enough for that?

Anyway, yes, sure I would buy one if that's what I wanted.

And really Splash, you won't keep the seat for more then what? 6mos? maybe 12mos and be sick of it, so who cares. ;) Really. Just buy it. Easy peezy. They are pretty inexpensive up here, so I imagine even less a financial hit down there.
I had a 38 pound almost 4 year old RF in the My RIde. Some can make it to 40 pounds, but I don't think my 31 pound almost 4 year old will.

Let's go over this:

1. you dislike Sam's current seat
  2. the MR is cushy
  3. the MR has cupholders which kids love
  4. the MR fits RF in most vehicles super easy
  5. the MR is inexpensive compared to fancy brands
  6. it will fit Sam for the length of time you need it to
  7. most kids :love: the MR
GET ONE!
:yeahthat:

Get one.

armywife12

Heat. I've come very very very close to turning him this summer but I felt the risks were too great. At 31 months, though, I think he is better served FF than RF in this heat.

The heat here in Savannah, Ga is tempting me to turn Caleb around too. I grew up in Naples, Fl so I understand the heat. Caleb is almost 37 months old, is around 39 inches, and about 38ish lbs. He is RF in a CA and an XTSL and I've been debating on turning him around in the CA, which is in the vehicle I will be driving around the most (until Nov). I still have the "what if" hesitation so I haven't done it yet but it makes me feel a bit better that you are comfortable doing it with your child and I know how knowledgeable you are on the subject. Oh, I wanted to add that, in the vehicle I drive the most right now does not have rear air so it makes it even more tempting. When I start driving my Moutaineer in Nov, he'll be RF in an XTSL because there is great rear air back there.

Splash

Both of my vehicles now have rear air, but it's still something I feel is worth the risk. Charlie wasn't even two and it was a very different case with him, but I would have turned him before a year with no hesitation if I had to. For him, his health was at stake. For Sam, it's just comfort which is why I haven't done it now. At his age, I don't think the risk is worth it just for comfort, but by next year I think it will be.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC