Consignment store/car seats

mamamia

A new hole in the wall consignment store just opened up in my town. I went in, and was suprised to see car seats. One was a cosco booster from 1990, one was a Century Smart Move (age?) and the other was a century from 1989! I mentioned to the girl at the cash register that they shouldn't sell car seats. She responded "Yeah, we are aware of that, but we aren't asking much for them, and we plan on checking them for recalls." I explained why recalls aren't the only thing to be weary of and that it is recommended not to use seats over 5 years old. This was during a street festival in town, and the owner was outside handing out flyers. Of course being vocal I told her that it is not recommended to sell used car seats. She says "Yeah, almost every person who comes in the store has told me that." so I say "then why do you still have them on display" she says "because I am going to check them for recalls in the next few weeks." so I explain about accidents, etc, and why used seats should be destroyed. she says "yes a lot of people already told me this but I already paid people for those seats." Can you imagine? I am wondering if I can get a local tech to send this woman some information. Do any of you ever deal with stuff like that?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
"yeah, I know, but......"
Doesn't that just make you cringe?
Here's a used seat checklist that maybe you could print up and take her http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/usedseat.aspx

And here's a list of recalls you could print up for her (want to bet she has NO idea how to look them up and that's why she says it will take her a couple weeks?) http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/childseat.cfm

I'm sure she doesn't want kids to be in danger, but you know how totally clueless people are with anything related to car seats....

Robert

CPST Instructor
We have a rental place in town that was renting seats. I went in armed with a recall list and information on why not to use these seats (not knowing history, crashes ect). They gave me all the seats they had and discontinued renting seats. Of course I was in uniform. If you know of a technician in the area (police or fire) this would help with talking them. It shouldn't since your a technician, but something about an uniform does help
Robert

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC