(Safer) Steering

ADS

scatterbunny

I haven't read them yet, but my instructors said we should not drive at the usual "10 and 2" position, instead we should be at a "4 and 8" position" or something like that. Basically we should place our hands lower on the steering wheel than we were originally taught.

southpawboston

great topic!

I haven't read them yet, but my instructors said we should not drive at the usual "10 and 2" position, instead we should be at a "4 and 8" position" or something like that. Basically we should place our hands lower on the steering wheel than we were originally taught.

why? for airbag reasons? because for emergency avoidance, it's been shown that 10 and 2 is best, it give you the most control over the wheel in an emergency response.

scatterbunny

Yes, for airbag reasons, like the OP was talking about. My instructors said there are increasing numbers of injuries to the hands from the airbag, and that placing the hands lower on the steering wheel is better.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I've also heard that having your hands at 10 and 2 like we were all taught in driver's ed causes the hands to fly up into your face when the airbags deploy.

Niea

I just read the links and it looks like that's what Bobby Ore teaches in his stunt driving school!

Very interesting reads! Thanks for posting them broxbourne! I was taught 9 and 3 when I learned to drive, for what it's worth.

beeman

We were taught 3 and 6 or 10 and 2. With one hand on top of the wheel you'll punch yourself in the face. I don't think I could stand my hands at 4 and 8, and on my steering wheel I can't stand 3 and 6, so that leaves 10 and 2 by default. My driver trainer said that 10 and 2 should be safe :) .

trailrunnermom

I just took a Defensive/Safe Driver Course, and the instructor said the new recommendation is the 8 and 4 position. I think mainly due to airbag deployment. He also said the old "hand over hand" turn should be replaced by the sliding hand turn (for example, as if you were drying a large round platter, and you turn the platter to dry it without actually letting go of it, just slide it through your hands.) I've been trying to practice these and become comfortable with them (woof - teaching an old dog new tricks) :)

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I'm with you Trailrunnermom. I'm still trying to "unlearn" the steering habits I learned in driver's ed. before front airbags were standard.

tl01

I would think that 4 and 8 would be a bit low on the steering wheel. Being that low might cause your reaction time to be a bit slower... you're pushing the steering wheel up vs. pulling down. I look at how race car drivers hold their hands. They don't put them that low and they need to be able to react very quickly. Seems that you might avoid the accident rather than avoid the thumb injury.

tl01

Also, on the www.koniaris.com site.. I was surprised to read about injuries from potholes etc. If your steering wheel kicks that much from a pothole then I think there might be something that needs to be checked such as a worn out steering shock. I can see some movement with a curb hitting a curb at speed is hopefully pretty rare:)

southpawboston

Yes, for airbag reasons, like the OP was talking about. My instructors said there are increasing numbers of injuries to the hands from the airbag, and that placing the hands lower on the steering wheel is better.

i can see the increased risk of injury to hands/fingers by airbag deployment, but i guess my reasoning would be, would you rather avoid getting into an accident, or get into an accident and risk major injury or death (but not injured fingers)???

so the basic question is, do you drive as safely as possible, or less safe for the sake of reducing finger/hand injury??? it seems like a kind of backward logic to me...

B

broxbourneDELETE

i can see the increased risk of injury to hands/fingers by airbag deployment, but i guess my reasoning would be, would you rather avoid getting into an accident, or get into an accident and risk major injury or death (but not injured fingers)???

I think the Bobby Ore camp would say there is no advantage to steering with your thumbs around the wheel [reasons: 1) risks from airbag deployment, 2)giant potholes physically jerking the wheel out of your thumbs, 3) disabling effect on shuffle-steering]

CrabbyBunchX3

I was taught 10 and 2 in driving school, but generally tend to drive one handed at about 4 1/2 or 6 1/2 :p because that is how I am comfortable. I don't use 10 and 2 b/c of the air bag-I always wonder to myself what would happen if it deployed and my hand/arm was there.

beeman

Also, on the www.koniaris.com site.. I was surprised to read about injuries from potholes etc. If your steering wheel kicks that much from a pothole then I think there might be something that needs to be checked such as a worn out steering shock. I can see some movement with a curb hitting a curb at speed is hopefully pretty rare:)

or the Saskatchewan highway needs to be fixed. We won Rick Mercers largest pothole contest last year with one up by P.A. And there is a bump when you cross the border into Alberta, because they're pavement is higher and better maintained.

Now as for thumb position. In drivers ed we learned to point our thumbs straight up the wheel rather than rapping them around. If you do that then there shouldn't be a risk of breaking your thumbs at 3 and 6 or 2 and 10.

scatterbunny

I just took a Defensive/Safe Driver Course, and the instructor said the new recommendation is the 8 and 4 position. I think mainly due to airbag deployment. He also said the old "hand over hand" turn should be replaced by the sliding hand turn (for example, as if you were drying a large round platter, and you turn the platter to dry it without actually letting go of it, just slide it through your hands.) I've been trying to practice these and become comfortable with them (woof - teaching an old dog new tricks) :)

Good to know my instructors aren't the only ones telling people this! :p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC