Even the most well intentioned parents can make mistakes

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
This morning, as we were rushing out the door to head to daycare/work, one of my twins walked around to the other side of the car, opened his door and climbed in, shut the door behind him as he always does and sat in his seat. I got the other 2 kids buckled in on the other side, when I realized I had forgotten to grab the kids backpacks. I ran back in to get them, and then ran back to my car, jumped in and headed down the road. About 1mi down the road, I got a sinking feeling. I turned around to see my 3yr old sitting in his seat, unbuckled. :eek: I immediately pulled off the road and buckled him up and told him that he needed to tell mommy if he wasn't buckled.

Fortunately, nothing happened. I don't care how much of a hurry I'm in, or if I'll be late for work...I will always make a point of double checking everybody before leaving again.

ADS

aeormsby

Glad nothing happens. I know I've started backing out of the driveway/parking spot before when DD starts yelling that she's not buckled or tightened. Thankfully she's pretty vocal about it or I'd wouldn't notice until we got to our destination.

skitle1802

Sometimes my LOs cry because they aren't buckled and sometimes they could care less, glad nothing happened and you realized it before going 45+ miles (like most of our drives)

NannyMom

I've forgotten to buckle Sofi a few times. Luckily it's been a long time since I've driven w/o her buckled. I taught her to tell me when she's not buckled, and she does! I also got into the habit of asking "Is everyone ready?" before shifting into drive, that way I know the older kids in the back are buckled too.

glockchick

I did that once when my oldest was a baby. :( I put him in his seat, put the newborn in, and drove off without buckling him. I didn't know it until I got them out. We'd only driven a couple of miles, but it still freaked me out.

Amaris

I've done that once, too. Isaiah also takes a long time to buckle and we have backed out of the driveway without knowing he wasn't buckled. Now the driver says "seatbelt check" before we put the car in gear, and everyone has to answer! The driver (or passenger, if there is one) also checks Kaitlin to make sure she's buckled and tight. It took a while to get in the habit of doing it every time, but I'm glad we did.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I've done it too. Thankfully, now my 3yo tells me and the older kids in the back seat will tell me if either of my 2 RFers are not buckled.

We just have to be thankful we are all okay. We all make mistakes sometimes. A great reminder for all of us to do that one last "seatbelt check"

mykidsmylife

I have done this. Seth would climb in on the same side as Johnathon and River. He would climb over to his seat and buckle his chest clip. I got in the van and drove 5 miles down the autobahn at 85mph when he started yelling "help me"... I had a bad feeling and had my mom look and see if he was buckled. I had forgotten to buckle him. I had to drive a 1/2 mile longer before getting to a parking area. I was scared but I got over it and it has never happened since.

myliljunebugs

I've done it hun. You need to meet Connor ;) I did that a couple times when he was about 5-6 years old and both times he yelled "Are you trying to KILL me?!" :lol: he's a bit dramatic sometimes ;) Glad you noticed and everyone is safe! Is your other twin a bit more safety conscious? Maybe you could make him the "seat belt police" and tell him to make extra doubly sure mommy has everyone buckled? :D

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
They are in separate rows, so the other twin wouldn't be able to help. Now, maybe I could train one or the other to say 'is everyone buckled?' or something like that....gonna have to work on that one!

I'm glad I'm not alone in stupid parent mistakes. It just goes to show how easy human errors can happen. Time to go get ready for work, so I'm not running late again. ;) LOL

mommykat116

My dd has yelled help or mom I'm not ready! She usually climbs in and starts buckling then I buckle her brother in, then fold the stroller load up in the trunk. Then I've jumped in and started driving. But she'll protest and yell that she wasn't buckled in yet and id pull over or go into another parking spot. She now announces I am ready! Are you? Is baby brother? Etc when we have more people in the car... its so adorable. She's even taught her cousins to be responsible for their belts since they don't like getting buckled in.

Jenny

I did that just on sunday. we were waiting in the car for dh and DD got out of her Vivo. When DH got in the car, I pulled out.

Now Dd would usually tell me -- but she snuck herself into the integrated booster (which puts the lap belt around her abdomen -- but she really wishes she could sit in it) while she sat next to the unrestrained vivo.

good thing I noticed before we turned onto the highway!

chloebeansmom

Ugh, did that once when DD was about 7 months old. We went to Babies r us and I had her in the travel system. I went in the mother's room to feed her and then just put her in the bucket and clipped only the chest clip while we were in the store. When we left I just threw her blanket on her lap and left without even thinking about it. When we got to our next stop (luckily only about a mile away) I realized it. I was nauseous for hours.

skylinphoto

I've done this more times than I'd like to admit!
My ds is now wonderful at telling me in his whiniest horrible little boy voice, "mooommmmy, you didn't buckle me innnn...". lol. Usually before I even put the key in.
If grandma buckles him in wrong, he says "I'm not safe..you need to do it the right way."

My 2.5 year old, does not say a word. Nor do I ever think I could get her to. She's one of 'those' kids who think it's hilarious to tick you and everyone one else off for fun. :)

EmmasMom

I've done this more times than I'd like to admit!
My ds is now wonderful at telling me in his whiniest horrible little boy voice, "mooommmmy, you didn't buckle me innnn...". lol. Usually before I even put the key in.
If grandma buckles him in wrong, he says "I'm not safe..you need to do it the right way."

My 2.5 year old, does not say a word. Nor do I ever think I could get her to. She's one of 'those' kids who think it's hilarious to tick you and everyone one else off for fun. :)

NO WAY… She looks too cute and innocent!:ROTFLMAO:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC