Fender-bender this morning

jb5416

My daughter rear-ended a pickup this morning as we were headed down to school. Everyone is ok, but the front bumper of our Prius was pretty seriously punched in by the trailer hitch on the truck. Damage is confined to the bumper alond. Our insurance pays for replacement seats, but do we need them? My 3 y.o. was in his RNXTSL and my 8 y.o. was in his Monarch. Are these seats not usable now? There were no injuries whatsoever.
Thanks,
Jessie

ADS

jjordan

The Radian manuals say that they need to be replaced after any collision. However some people have been calling Sunshine Kids lately and are being told that Radians do not need to be replaced if the crash meets all the NHTSA "minor crash" criteria:
1.The vehicle was able to be driven away from the crash site;
2. The vehicle door nearest the safety seat was undamaged;
3. There were no injuries to any of the vehicle occupants;
4. The air bags (if present) did not deploy; AND
5. There is no visible damage to the safety seat

If it were me, I'd be hesitant to follow Sunshine Kids' phone recommendations over what the manual says.

The Monarch is a britax seat and they follow the NHTSA criteria for replacement - so the Monarch definitely does NOT need to be replaced if the crash meets all the criteria listed above.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Sunshine Kids says to replace after any collision. Britax is ok with resuse after a minor crash, which is a crash that meets all of these criteria.

◦The vehicle was able to be driven away from the crash site;

◦The vehicle door nearest the safety seat was undamaged;

◦There were no injuries to any of the vehicle occupants;

◦The air bags (if present) did not deploy; AND

◦There is no visible damage to the safety seat

Wendy

jb5416

Thanks so very much! I'm happy to hear that we don't have to trash the Monarch because I love that seat so much and it's not replaceable. The Radian I will get rid of, after I skin off the cover to use on our XT.

I appreciate your help.
Jessie

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC