babysitter~how much??

momof2kiddos

Me and Dh haven't been out without the kids in well ummmmmmm since our last anniversry last june.So almost a year:eek: .I just get really scared about leaving my babies with other people I feel like they won't take care of them right even though they probably would,plus we like doing things with our kids more then without.

Anyways so one of my husband's Petty Officer's daughter baby-sits.She is only 15 but her mom watches the kids with her and I trust her mom she is a good person.So here is my question.We are going to be out on friday night from 5:30-11:30pm.How much do I pay her?:confused: Our kids are 21 months and 2 1/2 months.They both go to bed before 8pm,and yes she will need to feed them supper(I will provide my 21 month old's food and of course my baby's formula).

ADS

broken4u05

It really depends on the area i think. I get 12 an hour for the twins sleeping or not. I would say that if your 2 month old is fussy to give a little more than the normal rate. What state to you live in? so i can know more. DC area it is more than others.

Splash

So... your house or her house? And the mom will be there?
For a fifteen year old, I think it's fair to give her $40 plus provide some pizza money. That's a bit over $6/hour, which I think is fair for two children for her age, especially since they'll be sleeping most of the time. If it's at your house, it's a nice touch to tell her she can order a pay per view movie or even have a girlfriend over after the kids are asleep.

Alicia-N-2SafeBugs

Senior Community Member
It's all about the area you live. When we lived in Idaho, I paid $5-$6 an hour for 2 sleeping kids (our kids go to bed at 6:30pm, so we just put them to bed and then go out), but I paid more than most in that area. We live in the Phoenix, Arizona area now and the "going rate" is $5-$9/hour. I pay $6/hour here. I tip for good sitters.

broken4u05

well i know it is less there but not sure by how much. I think for that amount of time give about $40-50. the higher end if they do not sleep and really miss you. Also a know that many babysitters have rates that they want to get so you could ask her what amount she is looking at getting. Nothing is worse to a babysitter to have a hard night and the mom hand you far less than what you were hoping for. I am just saying that being a babysitter in the past and even now.

Michi

The 'going rate' here is $5/hour for the first child, and $1/hour more for every additional child.....( So I pay $8/hr. for 4 kids, and we usually 'round-up' the hour is we go over.) It's hard to find/keep a good sitter!

broken4u05

The rate here is alot more. Like i said for 2 i get 12 an hour. Any other family i go to i get at least 10-13 an hour for 2 kids. I guess it also helps i am not a teen in high school but my job is to care for kids. But even in high school for 2 kids i got 9 an hour

Suzibeck

I pay $6 an hour for my 3. That is a good rate, and I've offered more, but my regular sitter won't take more. She is a 17 yo highschool student. I also use her older and younger sisters on occasion and pay them the same or a bit more for the college student, when I can get away with it. $6-$9 an hour seems to be normal around here for 2 or 3 kids.

ETA: This same family has sat for us since my middle was a toddler, so we are very close.

momof2kiddos

well I just got off the phone with her and she was only going to charge me $30....Well $15 each for 6 hrs doesn't seem like a lot to me.So I said I would give her $40...so she is making $20 each child,so $6 an hr. :)....Thanks ladies for your help I needed it.....ummmmmmmmm now what do I wear??LOL.....

southpawboston

jeesh... you guys (gals) have it good... going rate in my area is $13/hour for one and $2 additional for each additional child. no difference if it is day or night. but that will get you a college student or college grad, and even someone with lots of experience and CPR training. an inexperienced babysitter (how could you trust one?) would get less... maybe $8-10/hr for one child.

gwenvet

Geeesh! At home (central Indiana) we pay college students $8-10/hr since they are older, but I was just visiting Delray Beach FL (near Boca Raton) and had an adult who is someone's nanny baby sit for 4 hours. She carged $16/hr!!!! I was floored and almost didn't have enough to pay her. Needless to say we didn't do that again on that trip!!

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Wow. I haven't baby-sat in several years, but I guess I always made good money doing it. :)

Six years ago, I made $15/hour for a family of two, neither of whom was in diapers. The one family for whom I did sit who had children in diapers paid me $15-$17/hour.

When I was in high school, I believe I made $5-$10/hour. That would have been in the mid 1990s.

jmm3

Wow, those are some good rates (for the payer). We have two kids and usually pay $14 an hour. That is for a college grad/masters in education student. Our dd has special needs and health issues, so I have a hard time finding someone I trust.

We called a place that only watches special needs kids, and it was $33 an hour!! :eek: And, I had to bring someone else in to watch my son. Luckily we have family around, so we don't need babysitters much.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
WOW I can't believe these prices? Where we live babysitting is about $5/hr for the 1st one and $1-2 more for each extra child (that is canadian :eek:) but good for the parents. FYI we have never had a paid babysitter so this is just going by what my friends say and pay :rolleyes:

What is daycare prices like? Here they are roughly $30/day for infants under 2 and $20/day for toddlers and up. I do home daycare, my prices are higher then licensed centres but not nearly as high (per hour) as what most of you are giving your teenage babysitters :eek: Really I should come work for your all :D

southpawboston

What is daycare prices like? Here they are roughly $30/day for infants under 2 and $20/day for toddlers and up. I do home daycare, my prices are higher then licensed centres but not nearly as high (per hour) as what most of you are giving your teenage babysitters :eek: Really I should come work for your all :D

in this urban area, it's about $1000/month per child for daycare, that's for infants, and about $900 for toddlers and and up. part-time pre-school (3-4 hours/day, 3 days/week) is about $4000-6000 per year. 5 days/week pushes 10,000 buckaroos per year! :eek:

but at least it's tax deductible... :rolleyes:

canadianmom2three

Lol that sounds more like it...when all 3 of my kids were in care one year we got our tax slips, and calculated that we had paid out more than $25000 in daycare fees that year...just crazy. Really it was almost not worth it for me to work aside from the benefits that my employer pays, and the stability that my job provides while DH gets his buisness up and running (and turning a profit:rolleyes: ) Now it is just my youngest DS who is in daycare, and his fees are $40/day. We pay our after school sitter $5/hour, but that is just one hour each day, and the kids are permitted to watch tv for that hour, so really not too hard. For evening sitting we pay more, and last summer we had a university student who also had lifeguard training babysit all 3 kids 3 days a week, I thought she was a great bargain at $10 per hour. I am fully prepared to pay more than that this summer - it is worth it to find someone I can trust with all 3 for the full day, and with the pool even more important as it would be a shame to have to keep it locked up.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
I refuse to hire a sitter. Ds2 is still nursing, and I don't want to express.

When I did daycare, I charged between $85-100 per kid for the week.

And I charged hourly depending on the parent. If I liked the kid, I would do for as little as $3. If I didn't so much, I would charge $10.

Late fees: $5 a minute.

And I was strict.

I also got food money from the government, which for full time, added nearly $20 a week.

I worked as a nanny for awhile. I made 7.50 an hour to watch 2 infants, and occasionally, their older siblings, but was allowed to bring my own child to work with me, which saved me more than $600 a month (effectively making my wage $15 an hour), and got free lunch and dinner. I got $17 an hour for overtime, plus vacation time.

Being able to "stay home" with your own child = priceless.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC