Recycling and the BRU trade in

Dillipop

I just called to see if the seats are recycled or thrown in the trash and was told that everything gets sent back to the manufacturer. What is the likelihood of this? I have a century seat that I'd like to recycle, but my area doesn't accept them. I'm guessing it would go back to Graco, but in all likelihood, I'm guessing the dumpster. Anyone who works there know what really goes on?

ADS

tracee877

I have no idea but when I was there today they had an Eddie Bauer 3in1 that someone had traded in on display next to a Momentum. There was a sign between them that said something like "Trade in this (arrow pointing to 3in1) and get 25% off this (arrow pointing to Momentum). I thought it was strange. The 3in1 was all nasty and stained with crumbs everywhere.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It varies by BRU what they do with them. I doubt most of them go to the manufacturer (Chicco has a recycling program I heard, but I don't know much about it...) Some compact them and send them to a dump; in my area they have a contract with the recycle center and send as much as possible there (the unrecyclable parts will be compacted and sent to the dump.)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I have no idea but when I was there today they had an Eddie Bauer 3in1 that someone had traded in on display next to a Momentum. There was a sign between them that said something like "Trade in this (arrow pointing to 3in1) and get 25% off this (arrow pointing to Momentum). I thought it was strange. The 3in1 was all nasty and stained with crumbs everywhere.

We had an old Evenflo Medallion next to a new BV70... then someone noticed the Medallion was SO MOLDY it smelled! So I found a less-disgusting Century seat to put on the display, lol.

AFAIK, they just plastic wrap them to pallets and take them to the dump, OP, if they said they sent them back to the mfr, they were just making something up, there is NO way to sort those funky things out and do that, it's just a tangled mess of strollers and crib parts and carseats, most of them beyond gross and missing parts and stuff. It's possible, I suppose, they could be taking some to local recycling, but my bet is straight to the landfill.

Dillipop

We had an old Evenflo Medallion next to a new BV70... then someone noticed the Medallion was SO MOLDY it smelled! So I found a less-disgusting Century seat to put on the display, lol.

AFAIK, they just plastic wrap them to pallets and take them to the dump, OP, if they said they sent them back to the mfr, they were just making something up, there is NO way to sort those funky things out and do that, it's just a tangled mess of strollers and crib parts and carseats, most of them beyond gross and missing parts and stuff. It's possible, I suppose, they could be taking some to local recycling, but my bet is straight to the landfill.

Well, that sucks. I might as well just destroy the seat and send it to the dump on my own. I was really hoping this trade in would be a way to get the seat recycled, as we have nothing else.

Angela

I'm not sure if TRU would be any different than BRU, but I was told that they all get shipped back to corporate and they weren't sure what they did with them there. Wouldn't it be nice if they could all agree on a 'story'?

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
My TRU said they get sent to California. They had a BRAND NEW seat traded in, and it had to be destroyed.

sunnymw

My TRU said they get sent to California. They had a BRAND NEW seat traded in, and it had to be destroyed.

Yeah I was the idiot that traded two good seats because I forgot about the crashed/expired seats in my barn :whistle: (Uptown/Scenera... and I had a crashed Comfortsport and rotting Snugride22 in the barn)

pj2rc

Well, that sucks. I might as well just destroy the seat and send it to the dump on my own. I was really hoping this trade in would be a way to get the seat recycled, as we have nothing else.

Well - I would also like to see them recycled but I understand wht a nightmare th would be for them. But if it's a difference between me taking them to the landfill and paing for it, or TRU taking it to the landfill .. I might as well take it to TRU to do it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC