Dh aske me to please Turn Fiona in his car

DH has the radian xt sl in his car, and I keep it rear facing for Fiona, just because it puzzles better with the my ride for Nolan, she is well with in the limits even though she is nearing 5 years old. She has a good 3 inches of shell above her head and weighs about 33 lbs still.

Anyways she probably is the largest child I have seen rear facing ever lol.. for the most part, just cause she is leggy.

So today he asks me every so sincerly "hun could we maybe please turn Fiona forward facing in my car?" I asked why and he said that it was because yesterday he took her to the store and he was at a traffic light and he was getting all kinds of weird looks from people, and he was embarassed.. he then said he is afraid he is going to end up having problems with a cop over it, and not know what to say, I told him to just tell the cop that she is well with in the rear facing limits of her seat, and is safer that way, and if the cop wishes to write him a ticket he will fight it at court and win.

He does not want to deal with it. grr I wish I could just take the xt for my car but I really need it for his.. she is in a nautilus in my car.

Ok just a dumb story.. finding out he gets weird looks just makes me want her rear facing even more lol maybe someone will ask and learn something. (she is fine ffing imo though, she is only rear facing cause of fit.)

ETA: cause I am tired and this came out all wrong.. the point of it is besides being bummed that the weird looks get to him, and that he gets weird looks at all, I would like to find a way to help him out and turn her ffing in his car, with the seats I have... ideas please!!! ORRR do I tell him too bad and rear face her to booster age like the original plan was?? lol

Last edited:
ADS

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
(she is fine ffing imo though, she is only rear facing cause of fit.)

If that's the case, then at some point you would need to find a seat that fits the car with her ff'ing because she will eventually hit the limits of the seat rf'ing. So I would just figure out what that solution will be now, and turn her for your dh's sake. It's a reasonable request that he's making. :)

(If the seat required for puzzling ff'ing isn't in your budget right now, then let him know what the solution is, and how much it costs, and then start working on a plan for it to happen ASAP.)

If that's the case, then at some point you would need to find a seat that fits the car with her ff'ing because she will eventually hit the limits of the seat rf'ing. So I would just figure out what that solution will be now, and turn her for your dh's sake. It's a reasonable request that he's making. :)

(If the seat required for puzzling ff'ing isn't in your budget right now, then let him know what the solution is, and how much it costs, and then start working on a plan for it to happen ASAP.)
my plan was to just keep her rear facing in it for another year, then get a turbobooster or something similar for his car.. for her rare car rides with him.. I told him we could easily turn her ffing, if he wants to get another radian to make it all fit lol.. you know me though, I am an addict. lol
I don't think it was unreasonable either, I think he was a riot all worried to ask me.
(we actually might in the next few months be getting rid of the passat and getting Keith a station car, something with a much larger back seat would be a definite must)

CTPDMom

You said the Radian puzzles 'better' rf'ing...so it CAN be ff'ing?

What's in the Passat now?

You said the Radian puzzles 'better' rf'ing...so it CAN be ff'ing?

What's in the Passat now?
rfing radian passenger side, rfing my ride center, and a turbo booster behind the driver. :)

it installs fine ffing (actually WAY easier than rear facing) but it is hard to puzzle with the my ride. only other seats I have are a true fit, efta, and GN (oh and my 18 buck avenue find!) but none of them puzzle.. and Nolan is too young to be ffing, cause the my ride puzzles ffing if the radian is ffing)

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
It's no sillier for him to want her FFing because of what others may think than it is for you to want her RFing because of what others may think.

A 5yo (or almost 5yo) is fine FFing. This is not a battle I'd pick with my spouse, assuming I could make seats work without buying new ones.

It's no sillier for him to want her FFing because of what others may think than it is for you to want her RFing because of what others may think.

A 5yo (or almost 5yo) is fine FFing. This is not a battle I'd pick with my spouse, assuming I could make seats work without buying new ones.
I don't want her rear facing cause of what others think, I have her rear facing cause that is the only way I know how to make the 3 across work with the seats I have. I understand how he feels. really I just need to figure out how to make a 3 across work with her ffing in his car with the seats I have unless I can get a radian trade.. I guess the thread came across the wrong way.;) (the weird looks thing just kind of makes my blood boil.. is all.) I was debating between sticking with rear facing till I booster her OR trying to fix it for him.

babyherder

Tell him its his job to keep his kid safe no matter what other people think. I would be very unimpressed with the weird looks complaint. I think telling your DH that you need a different seat to ff in his car is completely reasonable. You and he will have to decide if that's in your budget or not. Its true, so what else is there to say? :shrug-shoulders:

CTPDMom

Do you think she would be ready for a booster now in his car?

That's what I was thinking last night before I fell asleep. She's only a couple months younger than B...and I've put him in a TB, belt locked, for short trips when needed. He did fine.

I think that might be the easiest, least expensive solution.

Carrie_R

Booster at 33lbs and not yet five? She sounds tiny, I'd be quite worried about submarining with neither weight nor bone structure on her side.

What if you put the Radian RF in the center, can you fit a FF seat next to it then? Maybe the Avenue? Sounds like you'd have space for the MR in your van, if you still wanted to use it.

The other option would be to install seats for the kids who ride with Dad the most, and then on the rare occasions they all need to ride, reinstall the three-across and she can ride RFing.

It doesn't sound to me like she's going to come anywhere near the RFing limits of that seat before Nolan turns three, when (at least IMO) it would be a reasonable choice to FF him in the secondary vehicle.

ETA: Would it help if your ODD went backless? Or is she already backless?

That's what I was thinking last night before I fell asleep. She's only a couple months younger than B...and I've put him in a TB, belt locked, for short trips when needed. He did fine.

I think that might be the easiest, least expensive solution.

She would sit very well, she is easy like that.. BUT.... she is a light weight, she is only like 33 lbs or so. Also there have been the trips where we have to take the passat (Rare trips but they happen) that are not short, like a 3 hrs to NH or into the City to see his parents ect, in those cases I would not be ok with it.. I think if I can get a radian trade it would work best If I could hold out till her 5th birthday in Dec.. I would maybe feel better about the booster for her.

I am like ALMOST ok with it.. I wonder......... what are two good high back narrow profile boosters? I would do the xt rfing on the passenger side, Fiona center in a hbb, locked belt, and Julianna passanger side hbb... maybe I can make Keith wait it out another 3.5 months and then just do it when she is 5

Booster at 33lbs and not yet five? She sounds tiny, I'd be quite worried about submarining with neither weight nor bone structure on her side.

What if you put the Radian RF in the center, can you fit a FF seat next to it then? Maybe the Avenue? Sounds like you'd have space for the MR in your van, if you still wanted to use it.

The other option would be to install seats for the kids who ride with Dad the most, and then on the rare occasions they all need to ride, reinstall the three-across and she can ride RFing.

It doesn't sound to me like she's going to come anywhere near the RFing limits of that seat before Nolan turns three, when (at least IMO) it would be a reasonable choice to FF him in the secondary vehicle.

ETA: Would it help if your ODD went backless? Or is she already backless?
see that is where I am like she is just not quite heavy enough for my comfort with it.. Julianna is still in a high back BUT, the back of the turbo booster broke the other day and she had to ride backless, the belt fit was not good at her shoulder when we did it backless, so really she is kind of stuck with the hbb, when I can afford to replace it.. (we are out of warrenty on the TB)

No way she is going ot max out the rear facing limits of the radian xt sl before 6 lol.. not unless she has a massive growth spurt. she is all legs and skinny mini

sunnymw

Yeah, I was gonna say can Nolah fit into the Avenue? And have it RF next to the FF Radian? I know the uptown/avenue was always a narrow seat that I loved using in 3-across. :) And the Radian is a GREAT ff seat too!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC