Question Which Crossover has the SAFEST Third Row seat?

U

Unregistered

Hello,
I need to buy a new vehicle with a third row to seat 4 children, ages 3,4,5 & 6. Thus, four carseats.

I unfortunately can not buy a minivan because of the rugged terrain where we live. So, I need a car with higher ground clearance. From your other posts it seems that Crossovers are much safer than larger SUV's.

So, I am desperate for your recommendation. Which Crossover has the safest third row seat? (Obviously, safety is our top priority. If the car also had easy third row access with all four seats installed and decent reliability, I would be in heaven!)

The three I have been considering are: The Highlander Hybrid, the Acura MDX and the Mazada CX9. (Although I have heard that they aren't the best for reliability.)

Thank you in advance for your help!

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
There is no comparison of third row seats in terms of safety.

The IIHS has a rear safety rating, but it is not a crash test and may not apply to the third row at all. It is a subjective rating of the design of the head restraints and vehicle seats only.

For kids, being seated in the third row is usually not an issue of vehicle safety, but one of making sure that all your child restraints fit correctly. With properly installed and used child safety seats, they will be very safe in any rear seating position.

I think all those you mentioned are fine. You might add Honda Pilot, Volvo XC90, Ford Flex and probably a few others.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
What about the Sienna AWD? The clearance isn't much different from the SUVs listed, AFAIK. My XC90 and my Odyssey, even, don't differ significantly.

One thing I look at with rear row safety is the clearance from the rear window/bumper and the rear seat. Just how much crumple zone is there before your child...?

-Nicole.

surfermama

Thank you for your replies.

1. Darren: Which car would you choose as the one with the safest third row? I am very concerned about the distance from the rear hatch to the third row. (I know the Highlander has reinforced steel, but it is so close to the window. However, in your research, perhaps you have found that the reinforced body is strong enough to compensate for the lack of distance?)

2. Nicole: Yes, I love the Sienna, but unfortunately it is a little too low. I live in the country/mountains and when I test drove the Sienna up to my house, the bottom of the Sienna scraped against the the "speedbump" water deflectors in the road.

Melanie

Something else to check is if that third row has top tether anchors. It's highly recommended that forward facing car seats use top latch tethers. Some SUVs and Crossovers don't have them. The Mazda 9 doesn't (at least not in 2009/2010).

I love the Flex and it does come in AWD, but it doesn't have much ground clearance. It's closer to a mini-van or car on that front.

I'd add the Pilot to your list. The 2009 and newer gained a little more cargo room, so third row is a little farther forward from the back.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Thank you for your replies.

1. Darren: Which car would you choose as the one with the safest third row? I am very concerned about the distance from the rear hatch to the third row. (I know the Highlander has reinforced steel, but it is so close to the window. However, in your research, perhaps you have found that the reinforced body is strong enough to compensate for the lack of distance?)

I have no way to know. Really, rear impacts are not a big concern for kids because severe ones are relatively rare. Side impacts are more deadly, more frequent and more severe.

If I thought it was a key safety issue, I'd go with Nicole and pick a vehicle with more crush space between the rear hatch/bumper and the third row seat. I'm still eyeing the Highlander Hybrid to replace my Odyssey, so obviously it isn't a big factor to me.

Reinforced steel is meaningless without any testing. Usually, what it means is that they spend a little more on a stronger alloy, such that they can use a little less of it to reduce weight and put it in their marketing materials.

surfermama

Thank you all for your replies. I have checked out all of the mentioned cars, and they all have definite high points.

(At this moment) I am leaning towards the 2011 Acura MDX. (Although, like Darren, like the fuel economy of the Highlander Hyrbid and easy access to the thrid row.)

My reason for choosing the Acura MDX is heavily influenced by having a helpful and knowledgeable sales rep. He pointed out to me that the 2010 MDX met the strict new requirements for NHTSA's FMVSS 301 fuel system integrity standard which now includes a more severe rear crash test.

"In the current test, a 3,015 pound deformable barrier sled strikes 70-percent of the vehicle's width at 50 mph. In contrast, the prior version of FMVSS 301 used a 4,000 pound flat rigid moving barrier that struck the full width of the vehicle at 30 mph. The new test requires that the vehicle absorb more crash energy than before."

If anyone wants to weigh in on this, I'd be interested in your comments before I finalize the deal.

Thanks again for all of your help in the important decision making process!

kathysr98

I would look at the new 2011 Ford Explorer. It's new design is headed more in the crossover direction, but it's suv roots may be exactly what you need. I haven't looked at a new one with the third row up, but since the previous style seems to have some room and car companies don't seem to be into making stuff smaller, I'd bet the new one would, too.

Pixels

Good salesman. He pretty much sold you on a vehicle, based on the fact that it is legal to sell.

Every vehicle with a GVWR 0f 4536 kg (10,000 lbs) or less and manufactured September 1, 2006 or later must pass the same rear moving barrier test he described to you.

It's kinda like trying to sell you on the fact that the car has seatbelts, or a driver's front airbag. Yeah, so? They all do. Tell me something that is unique about this vehicle.

surfermama

The fact is that the Acura salesman was the ONLY helpful and knowledgeable salesperson out there! I have been looking at just about every Crossover and Minivan on the market, of all makes.

You have no idea what poor quality sale people I have encountered....For example, the Honda salesman told me (and insisted when I questioned him) that the Odyssey's rear hatch window has curtain airbags!

So, when I made it to Acura, and had a helpful salesperson, I suppose I was an easy sell.

At the same time, from my understanding the Acura MDX is one of the few cars that has passed the NEW NHTSA's FMVSS 301 test. However, I can not find a published list on-line of cars who have passed it to confirm this information. If you know, then please let me know!

Thanks!

jeno

Senior Community Member
I own a 2007 MDX and was involved in a collision where I was rear ended at highway speeds. I'm quite sure I posted pictures here way back when. I'll see if I can dig them up with a search.

Damage to my vehicle was minimal to the visible eye. Fortunately it was actually not my vehicle but a loaner from the dealership. So in that respect I'm not sure about structural damage, but what I do know is that none of us had major injuries. LOVE my MDX. There are tether anchors in all 5 seating positions. Full LATCH in all 3 positions of the 2nd row. I'm not sure if they've added more lower anchors to the latest model?

Pixels

The newest version of FMVSS 301 test is the one that went into effect September 1, 2006. There is nothing newer. If the vehicle is newer than 9/1/06, in order to be legally sold, it has to pass that test.

Check the ground clearance in both height and approach/descent angles. Crossovers sometimes aren't any better than minivans in that regard. Shoot, straight up SUVs sometimes aren't.

I typically use caranddriver.com to look up those specs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC