What would you pick here-RA or MA

a_js

I have an opportunity for a great deal on either one but I have to pick one.

I would rather get the RA since we have a small backseat. However. We had a RA for ds, who was an absolute moose of a baby. 90th %tile for height and weight and 24M clothes by a year. We have a picture of him at his second Christmas RF'ing in the RA (so about 18 months old) and he was nearly out of it by both height and weight. He outgrew the MA RF'ing by weight at 20 months (33 lb) but would have still fit by height. He outgrew it FF'ing by height at 3.5 IIRC.

Given that my first was giganto-baby (he has since slowed to 50th% height, 40th% weight) I feel like I should err on the side of caution and go with the MA. However, if they both have a 35lb RF'ing limit, and the second one won't necessarily be quite so huge, I would love the extra room in the backseat that the RA would afford us. It also costs less, although not that much. Is there any chance of a kid RF'ing till at least 3 in the RA?

Thoughts welcome :)

ADS

all together ooky

Are you talking new RA 50 and MA classic? I thought they were the same size shell. The RA 50 just didn't have the lock-offs and the LATCH bars.

The old RA was smaller but they haven't made that in a while.

Now they have the new line with the RA 55 and MA 70 too.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
They only retired the regular Roundabout last month. Since she mentions very different sizes for when each seat was outgrown, and her DS is older, I'd wager it was a Roundabout 40 and a classic Marathon.

I'd get a Marathon. It doesn't take up that much more space once a child can sit more upright.

Wendy

a_js

You're right, Wendy. He never used the RA ff'ing, but it wouldn't have lasted long as such anyway, lol.

I think the Marathon is probably a better bet (and I wouldn't use it for a newbie so it could be more upright) but oh, that push button harness adjuster on the RA. How I miss it.

abigaylebelle

Is there any chance of a kid RF'ing till at least 3 in the RA?

My ds, who is 3.5, fits rf in a ra (35lb rf/40lb ff). He isn't unusually small in general although he is fairly short in the torso (almost 12"). It has been lovely for us but if I were buying a seat for a child of unknown size I would hedge my bets and get a marathon. If I absolutely loved the ra I would plan ahead to purchase another, larger rf seat and relegate the ra to back up status.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
My kids would've never made it to 3yo rfing in the RA, that includes Evan who was below the height chart from 6 mos to just recently. He has a long torso for his height though.

cookie123

Is it for the Newborn? If so, neither the old Ma or Ra will fit. How about a True Fit. You can use it with the headrest part off for quite awhile and it fits a newborn.

Sceason1972

I had a RA for DS and a MA for DD. DD was not huge by any means but would have outgrown the RA way too soon.Altogether you will get a lot more use out of the MA (RF and FF.) The MA does not take up much more space. I also preferred installing the MA - esp. with LATCH.

jujumum

My son is not tall and does not have a long torso. He outgrew the old RA style at exactly 24 months. We LOVED that seat and needed the space at the time, so I don't regret it. I'd only recommend an RA if you plan on buying a different convertible down the road. Otherwise, regardless of the deal, I'd skip both and get an MR. The MR just takes a tad more space rf than the old RA. :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC