Big 5 year old in My Ride 65

Angela

Got a my new My Ride a few days ago and decided I'd try my DS in it, just for the fun of it. He actually fit (just barely)! Please excuse the comfort pads and head rest. I was just playing. :) His stats are in my siggie.
picture.php

The harness slot it just a little above where the whole in the cover is.
picture.php

ADS

cpstimedic

CPST Instructor
Wow, he is a big boy, I can't believe he fits in that seat. I have to say he does look like he would be awfully uncomfortable in it for any length of time. Cute boy!

Angela

Yeah, I would only ever use this in the next couple of months in an absolute emergency. Which would never happen since I have 3 other seats he could use. :whistle:

monstah

I can't believe he fits in there! LOL, what a cutie! I wonder if this means my DS would still fit too....

Shaunam

My 5 year old fits about the same way torso-wise, but when it's installed in the car, his shoulders go over the top slots. He's 45" and only about 41 lbs though. He loves the seat and thinks it's incredibly comfy. I wish he still fit. :(

ETA: I just wanted to say that I hear a lot that the higher weight limits on some seats, like the MR, the britax seats, the new efta with the 65 limit, are all overkill, but it's obvious here that SOME kids will need that extra allowance. Better to have a higher limit and include 99% of kids than to lower the weight limit and cause 5% or so to outgrow it by weight before height ya know?

Evolily

ETA: I just wanted to say that I hear a lot that the higher weight limits on some seats, like the MR, the britax seats, the new efta with the 65 limit, are all overkill, but it's obvious here that SOME kids will need that extra allowance. Better to have a higher limit and include 99% of kids than to lower the weight limit and cause 5% or so to outgrow it by weight before height ya know?

Agreed. There is no harm in testing seats way over the limit, as long as it is communicated clearly to parents that this doesn't mean they can cram their 39 lb, 17 inch torsoed 5 year old into a comfort sport ;) . In fact, I'd appreciate it if they would max out the weight limits to ridiculously high levels, so we can just focus on how the child fits in the restraint, not how much they weigh.

Shaunam

Agreed. There is no harm in testing seats way over the limit, as long as it is communicated clearly to parents that this doesn't mean they can cram their 39 lb, 17 inch torsoed 5 year old into a comfort sport ;) . In fact, I'd appreciate it if they would max out the weight limits to ridiculously high levels, so we can just focus on how the child fits in the restraint, not how much they weigh.

Yeah, no harm. It's only an issue when a parent buys a MR or britax *expecting* it to last till 65 lbs, and are disappointed when it doesn't. But that's more annoying for them than anything. As a whole, higher weight limits only benefit us.

monstah

It's only an issue when a parent buys a MR or britax *expecting* it to last till 65 lbs, and are disappointed when it doesn't.

Dude, the first car seat I bought was an Eddie Bauer Alpha Omega Elite because it harnessed to 100 pounds!!

Angela

I was actually thinking the same thing when I put him in it. There are days when I think it's unreal to have a seat that harnesses to 85 lbs (FR85), but looking at how my kiddo grows, he'll probably hit that weight limit pretty close to the time that he hits the height.
As a PP said... it may fit him differently installed. He said it wasn't comfy for him because his shoulders were squished.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC