Toyota 2008 Rav4 & 2010 Scion XB

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
In late model year RAV 4s, because of the overlapping belt that buckles in the other seating position's center, making it offset, and the design of said belt, I've gotten a few high-based seats in forward-facing, but never put one in successfully rear-facing. I've put a Chicco Keyfit outboard which fit well and even left the passenger seat usable, so probably a more compact convertible would also work, as would other more compact infant seats that allow the handle up.

marjen

I have a 2008 RAV4. I've successfully installed (outboard RF with LATCH) a Chicco Keyfit30, Britax Marathon 65, Boulevard 65, Recaro Signo, and a Britax Roundabout 55. I haven't really had problems with any of these. Center installation is a no-go due to the ridiculous seat belt setup.

Last edited:

marjen

I'm assuming the convertibles were all at a more upright angle than a newborn needs, though. :)

Oh, I guess it wasn't clear that it was for a newborn. My husband and I have shorter legs, so that plays into it I'm sure. But the RA55 in particular has several inches between it and the drivers seat.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I am betting a Coccoro would fit really nicely, or an Evenflo Tribute. Both are pretty short but could last long enough to get to where you can have a more upright, 30 degree angle on something like a Britax seat or a Complete Air. I'd put the RA55 in that category-- seats that are compact, but will need to be replaced later for longer-term rear-facing.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
DH has a 2008 Scion xB. :) While I haven't installed rear facing carseats in the center, I have installed a Recaro Signo/Como and Britax Marathon and Boulevard convertibles (original models not the newer Britax or Recaro versions) successfully behind the front passenger seat using LATCH or the seatbelt for my then 1 or 2 year old toddler to use. Those aren't convertible carseats that would be appropriate for use from birth, though, as their lowest shoulder harness slots/positions are too tall for most newborns. The front passenger seat had to be moved up a couple of notches to avoid having the rear facing Britax convertibles touch the front seatback, but the Signo/Como didn't need to have the front seat moved ahead at all to avoid touching. I would expect it to be possible to do a center seatbelt install rear facing in the xB for those same convertibles or their newer variations, particularly the newer Britax MA70/Blvd70 convertibles which seem take up slightly less room rear facing than the original Britax models based on some install comparisons done for carseatblog.com and in the c-s.org Articles and Reviews forum. Getting back to the subject of touching the front seatbacks, unless it has changed in the owner's manuals for 2010 models, Toyota and Scions equipped with advanced frontal airbags have a warning against allowing carseats to touch the front seatbacks in the airbag section of the vehicle's owner's manuals, and it's seatbacks plural, indicating not to touch either the front passenger or driver's seatbacks. When another member and Toyota owner called Toyota within approx. the past year to clarify if the warning against touching the front seatbacks applied to both the front passenger seat and the driver's seat or only to the front passenger seat, they were told the warning against touching did apply to both front seats. :eek:

malagovno83

I never would have even thought that these car would pose such issues. CRAZY. i guess we'll be learning all sorts of stuff as first time parents. Thank you!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC