kid fighting booster

Ali

DD's daycare providers son is 8 years old and under 4'9" tall. WA state law is changing and under 4'9" tall needs to be in a booster, so mom is making him ride in his booster again. He is fighting mom tooth and nail. After seeing the Five Step Test, mom definitely wants him in a booster.

Does anyone have any still photos showing the difference between a child in a booster vs just the seatbelt? Mom is OK with it scaring him. I know there are crash test videos around, but they have dial up Internet and it would take forever to load.

Thanks!

ADS

trailrunnermom

Would it be possible to find a fireman or EMT who is a CPS Tech, and maybe have them tell the 8 y.o. how much safer it is (and that it's the new law)? (Assuming that most 8 y.o. boys would look up to a "rescue hero" authority figure.) Also, he could use just a backless booster at this point, couldn't he? Just to help the seatbelt fit properly?

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
(the new law states to the 8th birthday OR 4'9", whichever comes first - not to discourage his mom from keeping him boostered, but he is legal to be out of a booster. I still look at the 5 step test and keep kids boostered until they pass that test. Not all WA state techs do though!)
I second the idea of taking him to a "professional" to talk to him about car safety and booster use. We had a 93 pound 8.5 year old at our last check who did not meet the 5 step test. She cried when I first told her that she was not tall enough to be out of her booster, but was OK with it by the end, after talking about safety, etc.

Renee

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC