News Accident Details and pics Radian XTSL ERF

cmraven

I heard my post from another board was posted here on a different forum that I can not access yet so I thought Id post it here as well so I can see responses and questions.

Yesterday evening my 2.75 year old son were in a car accident. The car in front of me came to a stop in the middle of an intersection. At the same time I applied my brakes and struck her from behind, I saw a police officer pulling into the intersection from the cross street with his lights on. I was going between 35-40 mph. My son was RF in a Radian XTSL that was tethered in the center of the backseat. The seatbelt securing his carseat, failed. His seat moved forward as far as the tether allowed and wedged itself between the two front seats. Neither of us were seriously injured. He is perfect and laughed as we came to a stop saying "Dat was a big bump, can we twy it again?". I have a sore wrist, back and neck. The paramedics said that if he would have been FF he would have received injuries. Here are some of the pictures.

46815_459970596498_636151498_6407507_6398781_n.jpg

that was him still secured in his seat before the paramedics arrived.

0901001727-1.jpg

Different pic of the seat, after my son was removed and you can definitely see stress marks at the RF belt path.

0901001727a.jpg

This is the seat wedged between the front seats, It puzzled so well on a normal basis.

0901001841.jpg

the only damage I appear to have

downsized_0901001841a.jpg

Besides the seat belt failure, I was very pleased at how the Jeep held up in the accident. I am calling Jeep today and reporting the seat belt failure

Last edited by a moderator:
ADS

jjordan

Wow! I'm glad you're all okay, for the most part. It sounds like your son came through with flying colors!

amyd

I can't see your pics here either but saw them on BC. I'm so glad you and your DS are alright. I'm sure that was very scary for you. Glad your little guy wasn't scared. So cute what they come out with, eh?? LOL

Did you speak with someone at Jeep yet? I'm curious about what their response was. You may want to consider filing a report with the NHTSA as well. Oh and welcome to car-seat.org!:)

Maedze

My guess is that your son stepped on the buckle, or kicked it when he was strapped in, partially engaging the release mechanism. This would cause stress marks in the boot before the buckle gave up and let go.

I really, really, really doubt you had seatbelt failure.

Mae

I'm glad you are both ok!

How do I post pictures on here? I just copied and pasted them from another site.

You can right click the picture, hit "properties", copy the URL address, then add
after the URL.

Or, you could just upload the photos in to photobucket (or a similar photo sharing site) and copy the code. :)

Edited to Add:

Oh, I see that you already have the images uploaded into photobucket. From photobucket, copy the code that starts with
. Next to that code, it says "IMG code" -- that is the one you want.

Evolily

I'm glad your son is OK!

You're sure that it wasn't accidentally unlatched? I know I've done that before, only to find out later that the seat was unlatched :eek: . In any event, I'm glad you both are well. I'd imagine it would be terrifying.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
One of the regular posters here has a child that thinks it's fun to unhook the seat belt holding in her seat by swinging her leg over and hitting the button with her foot. Is there any chance that could have happened?

Mae

Can anyone link to the photobucket? I still can't see pics.

I hope this is ok. If it's not, feel free to remove them or ask me to remove them. I am not claiming these pictures. I did not upload these into my photobucket, just simply copied the URL's from her post on the other board. If the OP puts the pictures in her original post, I will take these out of mine. :)

I see the pictures are in the OP now, so I'm taking them out of my post. :)

Last edited:

cmraven

My son has no idea that he can even unlatch the seatbelts, so I don't think that was the case. My mom sometimes sits back there with him and will undo the seatbelt for his carseat BUT we just took a road trip with her this last weekend and everytime she got out of the car, I checked to make sure she didnt undo his. I checked one final time on Monday morning and nobody was in the backseat with him after that. Usually I lift my son into his seat because if I do not he takes too long, dawdling so I doubt that he stepped on it.

Somebody asked where it was tethered. It was tethered to the frame of the passenger seat using the Swedish tether method and a tether strap to create the anchor point. I do not believe you can use the Australian method with Radians?

I do know how to install a seat. I installed his Radian 80 in a rental car, on the spot, then out of curiosity took it to the car seat check at the Children's Hospital being sponsored by Safe Kids. The CPST said he had never seen one installed so well and gave me the info to attend the training. It wasnt my error.

cmraven

Also, I spoke with Jeep today and they put me in contact with a different department who should be contacting me back within 2 business days (so maybe not until next TUesday). I will let you all know what they say.

natysr

Glad to hear that you are all okay.

Were you going 35-40 mph before you applied the brakes, or on impact? Did your airbags deploy? It is incredible how little damage was done to your vehicle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC