KIM 2010 Updates and News, Part 1 - Automated Feed from the Official Car-Seat.Org Blog!

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
The new slot on the Scenera is *three inches* taller? That makes it at least 18" in the harness??!! 40# RFing and an 18" harness for $50? Whoof.

momto3girls

Senior Community Member
Nevermind...this cold has really fried my brain. I think you're right, if so that's awesome. My 3yr old would make it to 4yrs rf in it.

canadiangie

Thank you so much Anne. What great info regarding the cross borderness of the Orbit. I'm going to call Orbit straight away and confirm that this applies only to 'current' seats and not those brought up to Canada say last year. I saw a few Orbits in use before Orbit came here and I had assumed they were illegal for use here. I need to clarify when the cross borderness took effect.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Even if the shell is 3" taller and the new slot is 1.5"-2" taller, that would still be an awesome seat for $50 -- it really would get kids to 40# RFing and 40# FFing. I would try very hard to have it be our new program seat.

christineka

The new scenera sounds like a great seat to put on the market. Finally, a low cost seat that would last many kids till minimum booster age!

Maedze

I was holding a 40 lb Scenera just a few hours ago. I might be wrong, but I didn't see any difference in the slot heights :shrug-shoulders:

lukensophie

Senior Community Member
We just bought one of the new Sceneras when Target had them on sale for $39 last week. I can't imagine that the harness is 3" taller than what it was on the previous model. I'll have to take pictures later, but DS is halfway between the 2nd and 3rd harness slot at only 14 months old. I'll do some measuring later. To be honest, I was a little disappointed with the height of the 4th (top) slot, but I think it is just because the last two convertibles I have owned are a MA and a MR65.

Thanks for the other information. :thumbsup: I would love to get to go to one of these conferences some day.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
We did not get to confirm but I wrote down EXACTLY what Dorel put up on the screen during the manufacturer panel updates. I also saw a prototype there and the shell looked the same but the top slot did look higher (I don't know that it looked 3 inches higher to me, and it was only there the first day.) I don't know if the prototype is what he was going by and the change didn't make it to actual seats or what-- that's why I did say we didn't get to measure ourselves, this number is from Dorel directly. (The Dorel rep was NEVER at the booth except to add a little more candy to the dish from what I saw, I don't know what that was about.)

lukensophie

Senior Community Member
Oh, I'm not disputing you, personally, I'm just saying that the older version of the Scenera would have to have a REALLY short harness height if they have increased it by 3 inches. I just ran out to the garage to get a quick measurement. I measured 14.5 inches from the bottom of the seat back to the top harness slot. My seat has a manufacture date of 7/1/2010.

I'll try to get pictures on this evening when DH is home.

ETA - I do like the seat. It will be used in DH's car for the rare occaisions we need it in there. I currently have it in my car because DS's diaper leaked all over the MR.

christineka

It's possible that the new scenera at kim is a different seat than the one currently found on store shelves. Perhaps they tested the avenue to 40 pounds rfing and are renaming it as "scenera" since that's already a very popular seat.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It is quite possible that this is an upcoming change. They didn't phrase it that way. Don't know what to tell you. Hopefully Darren can get more scoop. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC