Dangers to sitting with legs crossed?

AtTheSouthDam

So I want to be prepared if my girls want to ride in G'ma's new convertible :) My mother just got a 2002 Jaguar XK8 for her birthday. It has a back seat with full lap shoulder belts but there is little if any leg room. Maybe 3" between the end of the seat to the seat in front of it. We joked it was so groceries can ride comfortably and not fall to the floor. Is there any danger to sitting in a booster with legs crossed? ("criss cross apple sauce" as the girl put it.) It would probably be a rare occasion they ride in at but, as I said, I want to be prepared with an answer and/or plan. Thanks!

If you want to see the back seat it is in one of the photos here:
http://usedcars.kbb.com/detail/cars...zM/cnk9MjAwMg==&v_user=a2JidWNp&kbb_zip=80233

ADS

canadiangie

Specifically with a booster seat, having the legs crossed might cause the lap belt to shift higher up towards the tummy. This is something only you could verify next time she's in her seat. I don't think there are any studies telling us much about legs being crossed. I assume it might count as being 'out of position' to a certain degree (in terms of needing to be proper pre-crash position when using an adult seatbelt; booster or not), but again I don't know if anyone can really tell you it's 100% fine, or 100% dangerous. If she were mine I'd encourage her to keep her feet flat on the floor (or as close to flat as possible) but that's just sort of how I roll.

Sorry for babbling, btw. :eek: It's late...

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Like Angie, I'm inclined to think that crossing the legs would put the child out of position, and make the seat belt fit incorrectly.

However, in a back seat that shallow, I'd also be very concerned about the child's head hitting the front vehicle seat in the event of a crash. The seat belt WILL stretch, and there is not much room in that back seat. :twocents:

Lea_Ontario

I don't know that I'd be comfortable putting a child back there at all after looking at those photos.

That's not a backseat - it's a low package shelf.

I can't imagine that a child would be comfortable back there - they'll have so little room, and with a booster that moves them forward a few inches, it is even less space.

683747313948463087_22

emtb79

Are both kids in boosters, perhaps the older one could sit on the passenger side in the back with the seat scooted forward a bit. The younger beehind driver with a harnessed seat that way the legs could be crosssed.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Are both kids in boosters, perhaps the older one could sit on the passenger side in the back with the seat scooted forward a bit. The younger beehind driver with a harnessed seat that way the legs could be crosssed.

I would still be concerned about the child's head hitting the front seat, even in a harnessed seat. :twocents:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
What about RSTVs? The child would be as low and back as possible, and the head excursion numbers are great. Plus it gets their heads out of the wind, or at least helps. I've used our RSTV with great success in convertibles.

Wendy

AtTheSouthDam

Thanks for all the input! I was concerned as well. We were over there today. DD1 cannot sit in that back seat with a booster. Her ears are over the top headrest over the vehicle. So even if she crossed her legs it is out.
What about sitting in the front with the seat all the way back? We did once around the neighborhood today. For DD2 we put the YS in and just moved the passenger seat forward. It may be te only time they ever ride in it but DD1 is more likely as G'ma is emergency pick up for school (though she is more likely to take the Durango to fetch her).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC