Is this strange or is it just me?

mominabigtruck

Here's the situation: We live smack in between two major cities that are connected by a major highway that dh drives up and down twice a day, every day. So when I do craigslist not only do I look at both cities if I have something to post I post on both cities. When I post I always say that you must be willing to meet somewhere off of I-75. So I have a playpen for sale and I had a lady email me about it and I told her ahead of time that she has to meet somewhere where you can get a semi in and that was fine. Well she called me today to work out the particulars and when I told her that it was not going to be me in the semi, that it would be dh she acted like I was crazy. She said that she wouldn't meet some strange person like that and then she said she was going to flag my ad.:(

Now maybe its me because I'm really comfortable around men, but I guess the way I look at it is that men have kids too so what's the big deal. It's not like I was asking her to meet somewhere out in the boonies with no one else around or anything like that, I'm talking well lit, populated areas in broad daylight.

ADS

Kellyr2

Makes no sense to flag just because she personally isn't comfortable meeting strange men. Which, I can kinda understand - it wouldn't really be wise for a woman to go to meet a strange man alone... but at the same time, was she just taking your word for it that YOU were a woman?
Weird.

Last edited:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
She was willing to meet up with you, a complete stranger, but not your husband, also a complete stranger who just happens to have a Y chromosome? I think she's weird. I've sent Nathan, and I've met up with people's husbands. Whatever. If you were sending me to the rest area at mile marker 276 at 10 p.m. I'd be concerned. But if you say a shopping center just off of I-75 at 2 p.m.? Whatever. The lady is weird.

Wendy

mominabigtruck

That's the thing, I never said I was a woman. That's what bugs me, like I've sent my Dad to pick up stuff I've bought off of craigslist and I've never had anyone say it was a problem before. And normally its kids stuff, so what am I supposed to tell him he can't pick stuff up for me because its probably going to be a woman because apparently only women have kids stuff and he might in someway intimidate someone.

LuvBug

I dunno, if it were me Id probably think you were crazy too and flag your post lol! Id think you were looking for a third wheel, iykwim? :p
Unless I talked to you on the phone, then Id be ok with it lol!

Actually in all honesty Id probably never buy anything from craigslist(nor sell it, its not part of my comfort level at the moment)... so I dont know what Id do. I do assume most people selling baby items are women with kids... because MOST are- not all, but the majority.

TheRealMacGyver

Sounds like she just got weirded out for some reason. If she was willing, why couldn't she just drive to your house to purchase? I can kind of understand her concern, but like you said, she was assuming that you were a woman. I listed my wife's breastpump for sale, so if anyone called (which they did not!) they would have talked to me about it. All the crazy stuff that goes on has put a lot of people into fear mode unfortunately. sometimes I say hello to people at the store and they just ignore me, like they're afraid to say hello?

LuvBug

yup yup yup, people are all on edge because of how the world is turning out :(
Im all on edge because Im schitzo, but I have a doctor's excuse :p

Last edited:

R&J'sMom

My husband meets women all the time on his lunch break- I tell them to meet him across the street from his office, there's a 99 cents store and he meets in the parking lot. I haven't had anyone get weirded out by that yet. I don't allow anyone to come to my house when he's not home to pick up stuff because you never know, I have my 2 boys here with me during the day so I have to be extra careful. I resell a lot on craigslist & ebay, and so far no one has had a problem meeting a man.

Last edited:

broken4u05

If she didnt want ot meet him than that is fine some people do not like meeting men but no reason to flag i think. You did tell her before she just got there and saw him

beeman

A family of truckers. That's the problem with her. People have always been stereotypical about truckers. If you would have sent dh without the semi, there probably wouldn't have been a problem, but anything a trucker touches isn't good enough for her kids (even though most everything is transported by semi these days). People can get so wierd over stuff like this. I can see where she could be concerned, but most truckers are good, and wouldn't cause any trouble. And as long as CN keeps taking down rail lines, we're gonna need the truckers. If she's gonna act like this, just try and sell it to someone else. People can be so rude and paranoid.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC