Buying new vehicle: Known install problems for these cars?

T4K

Hi everyone...I'm in the market to buy a new vehicle. It will be to my main "commuter" car. Main people in it will be me, DH, and new LO (EDD Nov). We travel once a month to see my DSDs but usually we rent a car. But this car may need to work potential 3-across sometimes (extended holidays, summer) but we also have 7 passeger SUV so I'm not TOO worried about it. I mainly need this car to work for ERFing the LO eventually so DH won't be itching to turn LO FF due to knees in the dashboard. He's 6'0" so not abnormally tall.

DSD1: 7 yo, backless booster
DSD2: 3 yo, FF MA
(those wouldn't be my choices for these children but DH and I can't fight their mom anymore on it)

New LO: Infant bucket to get through winter, then convertible (maybe radian?)

Cars we are considering:

1. 2010-2011 Nissan Altima: I checked the 3 across thread, and successful radian installation thread and both checked out :thumbsup:

2. 2010-2011 Honda CRV: didn't turn up search results on either thread, input appreciated :)

3. 2008-2009 VW Passat: Had some older models on both the 3 across and radian threads but nothing about later models...should work.

4. 2007-2008 BMW 328i: Nothing found on either thread, input appreciated :)

If anyone has any added input about these cars and carseat installs or just your general thoughts, I would much appreciate them! TIA!

ADS

Melanie

The prior body style Altimas were great for car seats. The photos look like the back seat is the same, but I'd double check. I could easily fit a Frontier,MA, adult. RF Radian fit outboard no problem.

Another member here was unable to get RF Radian in a CRV. It would install, but only with the seat too far forward.

SavsMom

I know that the Altimas and CRV are generally pretty car seat friendly. I don't know much about how easy the Passat would be, but considering it a nice sized car it wouldn't surprise me if it would be okay as well.

The BMW 328 has as small back seat - we have a 2007 on the lot (I work at a dealer) and while 2 seats would work, three across would be tough, if not impossible.

T4K

I know that the Altimas and CRV are generally pretty car seat friendly. I don't know much about how easy the Passat would be, but considering it a nice sized car it wouldn't surprise me if it would be okay as well.

The BMW 328 has as small back seat - we have a 2007 on the lot (I work at a dealer) and while 2 seats would work, three across would be tough, if not impossible.

Interesting about BMW...there are a crap ton of 2007s here because I think they were all leases that just expired. Seems like decent prices too. This was DH's pick. I SOOOO hope he doesn't like it.

firemomof3

I would focus on the Altima, the others your going to have issues. Have you considered some of the full-size cars; Malibu, Impala, Taurus, Elantra, etc?

T4K

I would focus on the Altima, the others your going to have issues. Have you considered some of the full-size cars; Malibu, Impala, Taurus, Elantra, etc?

I know they are out there...I have had the worst luck with cars made by GM and Ford. My last vehicle before my Corolla was a Taurus which I affectionately named my TaurASS. I had so many issues with that car. Makes me Grr just thinking about it. Our SUV is a Ford product (Lincoln) and while it's nice, I'm just not satisfied. I will consider a Sonata (I think the Elantra is in the same class as my Corolla). Maybe I should look into those....thanks for the ideas!

I WANT so badly to just buy the blasted Altima but DH has different plans.

SavsMom

Interesting about BMW...there are a crap ton of 2007s here because I think they were all leases that just expired. Seems like decent prices too. This was DH's pick. I SOOOO hope he doesn't like it.

In my area most of the BMW's, Mercedes, Lexus are leased. Many BMW owners will also trade in after about 3 years due to the end of the maintenance coverage as well as possibly getting close to the mileage limit for the warranty. While they are fun cars to drive they can be quite expensive to maintain, and heaven forbid something break the cost of repair us not pretty.

An Altima on the other hand is relatively inexpensive to maintain and repair should something happen to it - its also just a little bit larger than the 3 series.

dhardawa

I know they are out there...I have had the worst luck with cars made by GM and Ford. My last vehicle before my Corolla was a Taurus which I affectionately named my TaurASS. I had so many issues with that car. Makes me Grr just thinking about it. Our SUV is a Ford product (Lincoln) and while it's nice, I'm just not satisfied. I will consider a Sonata (I think the Elantra is in the same class as my Corolla). Maybe I should look into those....thanks for the ideas!

I WANT so badly to just buy the blasted Altima but DH has different plans.

I have a 2006 Malibu and haven't had a bit of trouble out of it. It has been a great car. I would recommend it to anyone.

The BMW is gonna be TIGHT!

I had to trade in my 3 series cuz it was a coupe and the infant seat wouldn't fit in it. Friend had the sedan (just sold it for a C-class mercedes) and while it'll fit, I really don't see 3 across in it. Possibly with 3 radians, but I really doubt it with a MA, the booster, and a RN. If you're talking MA, booster, and an infant seat, no way.

I'd prolly concentrate on the Altima or Passat.

And do NOT let your DH test drive the BMW. He's gonna fall in love.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC