If you've tried both, which Frontier would you recommend?

MoreLatte

I tried Claire out in the Frontier 80 yesterday and really liked it. Its the first time I've actually gotten to see one IRL. Now I'm considering getting her one but not sure if I should go with the 80 or 85. I think the cupholders on the 85 will be more useful, as soon we will have a KF30 right next to her in our vehicle.

I drive an eight passenger Yukon XL ('05) and will be keeping her either driver's side outboard or center of second row with the baby being in whichever spot her seat isn't in (one of those two spots). Any install issues I need to consider with the 80 vs the 85?

ADS

Laurette

I think the 85 is just a better overall seat than the 80. I own a 85 but I only seen the 80 a few times.

Mommy0608

I owned both at one time. I sold the 80 to fund the 85. DD loved the original, but once she saw the 85 she HAD to have it... cupholders! Priorities, you know. ;)

Really though, the reason we switched is because I wanted the extra harness height. DD is super tall for her age (just turned 4, 43" and a long torso). She only had 2 notches of height left on the 80. Installation wise, both were easy with LATCH in my '09 Grand Caravan and DH's '03 Civic. Long belt path is relatively easy with both as well. Overall, if you had the option to choose either one, I can't really see a reason NOT to get the 85. The extra harness height might be overkill for most kids, but then again, I like having a little extra just incase. My DD will need to be harnessed for quite a while yet, so for us, we need that extra. The short belt path route on the 85 has been slightly modified to make it easier in some vehicles, which is nice. It also has the folds in the harness to stop the buckles from getting lost, causing you to have to dig them out. The straps seem less twisty also. And, of course, the cupholders are nice. The ones on the 80 were unusable in my van because of the contour of the vehicle seat. DD doesn't have a drink in the car often, but she stores her treasures in the cupholders... pebbles, leaves, shells, etc. :p

Oh, I think the original is SLIGHTLY taller in booster mode than the 85. I didn't check this personally though, but I think I read that here somewhere. Both models make very tall boosters though. The armrests on the 80 can flip up, but they are fixed on the 85, if that matters.

skitle1802

The 80 installs well in both those positions. I'm waiting on Judi feeling better to find out if the 3rd row center works for the 85 (80 doesn't) Outboard gets a really nice LBP install (I don't have LATCH so can't comment)

Center, you will have to shove the seat to be able to flip the 40 seat. It will still be able to be done, just forcefully.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I like that the 85 goes in easy, easier than the 80. The cup holder actually, um, work!

tl01

I'm in the minority. I have both and like the 80 more. The higher top slot is nice but DS has finally sprouted legs so in think he'll be a fine booster age when he outgrows then 80. If not, we still have the 85. I'm having a bad time with our 85's cover. I think I'm going to request a new one from britax. The cup holders aren't a huge deal bc we don't drink much in then car.

essnce629

I've owned both and sold the 80 to fund the 85. I really liked the 80, but like the 85 even more since they improved pretty much everything that people complained about before-- harness height, cover, cupholders, belt path. I need the extra height for DS2 when the 85 finally gets passed down to him. He's only 15 months old now, but is 95th percentile for height with a very long torso. DS1 was even with the 80's top slots at 6 1/2 years old and I know DS2 will be taller than him.

MoreLatte

Thanks! It looks like the 85 is the way to go then. DD just turned 4 in June and is 43'' with a long torso-some of her shirts are size 6! I'd like to keep her harnessed til at least age 6. In the store, I thought she had maybe 2 or 3 more harness positions left in the 80 but that was with the seat just sitting on the floor.

My main concern is ease of installation, as I sometimes have to move seats around to make room for other kids, so if the 85 is easier to install, I'm all over it! Now I guess we'll just have to wait for the cowmoo to be released.

firemomof3

I've also owned both and would go with the 85 hands down :thumbsup: Its easier to install and cupholders really do make life just little bit easier :p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC