The Boost Air...with a kid in it...

BabyKaykes

My local KMart finally took the Boost Air out of the box.

Eh...it's no TB, though it adjusts a million times higher. I was going to compare, but they ONLY had backless TB!!! :eek: The armrests fold up, but don't stay in place, so there's really no way to forget to lower them.

DS seemed to fit ok, but I think in the car, in a seatbelt, he'd be too narrow. He kept trying to sit to one side of the seat, leaving a big gap on the other side.
083010113857.jpg
083010114356.jpg

The head wings? Quite awesome!
083010113918.jpg

Depth is perfect now, but would be a problem later. In a few years, I'd think he'd be uncomfortable. DS's legs don't bend perfectly yet at the edge of his TB.
083010114419.jpg

Useless cup hoder. When you pull them out they come forward slightly. But the cover is made so that it doesn't go back in all the way...not easily at least.
083010114535.jpg

Headrest in highest position. Height guesstimate I would say is 24-25". I didn't have my tape measure. DS's torso is 13.5" and I could fit my Kindle (in it's case, 9") between his shoulder and the top of the belt guide with room to spare.
083010114235.jpg
083010114124.jpg

ADS

abigaylebelle

Your son is such a cutie!
Wow that adjusts really tall. I wonder if it needs a headrest behind it, and if so would it be usable to the full height.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Oh man, now I've really gotta go back to walmart and measure the pink one... maybe I didn't get it up that high, and I forgot my tape measure, but it looked like it might be good for my 11yo dd1 now that she's technically too heavy for her Recaro Start :whistle:
Aren't those headwings something? I mean, wow.

Shaunam

Ooh I have one too...care if I share?

boostair.jpg

Adrian is 42 lbs 45" tall with a ~16.5-17" torso (I think, based on how he fits in some seats). I counted 8 notches for the headrest to go in and this one is on the 4th. I don't know if he would use this one or the next one down in the car. Definitely lots of growing room though.

menfusse

No, like all dedicated two piece Dorel boosters it needs vehicle head rest support.

I figured as much, which of course begs the question...WTF? Why even bother making it all tall, if there is no way to use it at that height?

And yes, the head wings are very ODD.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I figured as much, which of course begs the question...WTF? Why even bother making it all tall, if there is no way to use it at that height?

And yes, the head wings are very ODD.

The headrests in my van go up to the tops of my kids' ears, even when they are raised up by a booster seat, so if it's not too wide in the headwings, it would be fine in my third row.

thepote

How much does it cost?

I wonder if the wings would be good for kiddos that like to lean forward? Or would it just make them want to lean forward more...

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
IT's $80. Of course, I think some kids might try to lean up out of the headwings, but I think most would not. The fact they are further out makes my dd say she feels less confined than in some that are closer to her neck, even if the closer to the neck ones are shallower. I like that it seems like they would help eliminate head slump in a boostered child. RIght now, there isn't enough depth to the TB headwing for dd to rest her head on when she nods off, so he head ends up on her chest...with these, she says it's like having a pillow at the side of her head to sleep on.
Belt placement seems like it would be good in most vehicles. The arm rests are weird...they move very easily and are sort of flimsy and low.
The other thing that bothers me about the seat, is the cover doesn't seem to fit very well?? IT's weird, it's like the cover is way too big..I would try to reach out and grab the seat to pick it up or insect it, etc, and end up wioth a handful of cover and no actual seat...so to some extent, the amount of sideways depth and cradling is an illusion.
I still think it has a lot of potential. MY vehicle has headrests that adjust all the way up, so the height would conitnue to be useful until the top height of the back of my sedan was reached, I suppose. It would be worthless in my grammas focus.

BabyKaykes

I went back this morning to pick something up. In the highest position, the top of the belt guide measures 23".

I also found the manual. According to this page, DS can't use it as a backless (not that I would anyway) since he's too short.
090110105751.jpg

THE PROOF: Same old headrest rule
090110105652.jpg

From the Onside Manual: How long has Dorel had this RF rule? This rule gives DS nearly 2" of RF grow room, though he's over 40lb. (I've rotated this, hopefully it will kick in soon)
090110110133.jpg

Last edited:

christineka

I'm glad they upped the weight minimum. I wish they'd change the minimum age to something more reasonable to at least 3 as a high back and 4 for backless. (Though 4 and 5 would be better.)

I contacted dorel a couple years ago regarding the height limit for the avenue. They told me the child's head could be even with the top of the seat. I think they have just been more clear on the height limit in more recent manuals than they used to.

Here's my old thread about it.
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=56920&highlight=dorel

Dear Christine:
You can go by the 36 inches. The child’s head can be all the way to the top of the seat. You do not want to use the seat if the child’s head is above the seat. You do not want the back of the back of the car seat any lower than midpoint on the child’s head. In other words if your child’s ears are above the back of the seat discontinue use.

Thank You,

Dorothy, CPST

Consumer Relations

Dorel Juvenile Group

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC