Question Found this on pediatrician's website, what do you think? (spin off of "I'm still amazed" thread)

Athena

I got the idea from reading the "I'm still amazed" thread to I look on my pediatrician's website for car seat info. In general, I am very happy with them, but they have never brought up the topic with me so I was curious if it said anything on the topic. I found nothing about rear facing and this about boosters in the ask the doctor section:

"My son is 3 years 10 months, 41 pounds and 37 inches. Is it the right time to put him in a booster seat?

Not quite! He should remain in a car seat until he is officially four years old. The reason for the combined milestones of four years and forty pounds is that size and development are both important in terms of neck strength and head control.

Beyond four years and forty pounds, a booster seat with a five point harness that can convert into use with a seat belt with shoulder belt is strongly recommended. Boosters are recommended until a child is four feet nine (57 inches) and while the older children in this group do fine with the lap and shoulder belts, the four through at least six year olds need the protection of the five point harness. By 57 inches, most children can be safely protected by a lap and shoulder belt, in the back seat."

What do you all think? I was disappointed. Even though they mention harnessing 4-6 year olds, it is after they have emphasized waiting until 4 to booster. And 4 year olds are allowed to still be in convertible seats too or even ERF (if they have not hit the limits). Also, it would be nice if they mention why to harness longer (lack of impulse control) and the 5 step test. Would you say anything or add a comment? It looks like their website allows commenting on the questions.

Would you consider submitting a question setting them up to promote ERF? Anyone done that? Unfortunately, I suspect that could backfire so I am reluctant to do it.

ADS

jjordan

Actually, I think it's a good answer. Basically they're saying to wait until at least age 4 and 40 pounds, preferably keep them harnessed ages 4-6, keep them boostered through 4'9", and keep them in a lap/shoulder belt in the back seat after that. The wording is a little awkward, but the information is solid. Sure, they could have had more there about why they're recommending a harness, and they could have talked about the 5 step test, but I imagine they're trying to keep the answers short so that people will read them. :)

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Personally, I think that's great. Yeah you and I and everyone here will harness longer, but for the general public, waiting until 4 to booster is phenomenal.

As far as ERF, I would say something like, "I have heard that it's safer to keep kids rear-facing past the normal 1 year and 20 pounds mark. Can you elaborate on this?" or something that will open the door for them to spend 10 minutes googling and come up with some info ;)

Athena

Thank you both! I'm glad I asked. Now that I'm converted (lol:D), it can be easy to lose sight of the norm.

As far as ERF, I would say something like, "I have heard that it's safer to keep kids rear-facing past the normal 1 year and 20 pounds mark. Can you elaborate on this?" or something that will open the door for them to spend 10 minutes googling and come up with some info ;)

I like that. Do you think that'll be enough to lead them to the "right answer" if you know what I mean? ;) Thanks.

babyherder

I like that answer. I just wish they had included some info on HWH seats, other than the general booster with a 5 point harness. Some seats only go up to 40 lbs so when a parent with a child that is 39 to 41lbs asks about car seats its always the first thing I mention. I don't want parents to think that its safer to keep kids in outgrown seats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC