A couple Radian XT questions

callaroz

I just purchased a Radian XT for my 5 year old son. However, I have a few questions. The manual says for forward facing the harness slot should be at or above their shoulders. If I put the straps on the 2nd from the top slot they are JUST below his shoulders. However, if I put them on the top slot it seems almost too high. I'm really unsure of which is better...so I've taken some pics in the hopes I can get an answer. Also, in the manual it says that the limit of the seat is 65 lbs...but then says not to use the latch system with children who weight over 65 lbs? And then right below that it states that the seat isn't to be used for children over 65 lbs. I'm just a little confused as to why they would put contradicting information in the manual.

Thank you :)
2nd from top slot
IMG_7853-1.jpg

top slot
IMG_7854-1.jpg

A picture of both
IMG_7855-1.jpg

ADS

Danielliia

I would have to guess the top slot is the correct way.

I noticed the 65lb LATCH thing too... My only guess is that IF someone chooses to use the car seat above 65lb (even though that is the limit for the seat) that at least they should use the seat belt rather than LATCH.

I'd love to hear if someone knew the actual reason for that!

amyd

Yes, that wording is awkward and rather American, unfortunately. The seat's limit is 80lbs in the US. As far as UAS/LATCH limits go, you must follow the lower of the two between the vehicle and the restraint. For example, if you drive a car with a 48lb UAS/LATCH limit but have a restraint with a 40lb limit, you need to switch to the seatbelt when the child reaches 40lbs. Or if the restraint's limit is 48, but the car's is 40, you must switch to the seatbelt at 40. That section of the manual is telling you the limit for the restraint but if your vehicle's limit is lower, you must defer to that limit. What do you drive? Someone with a LATCH manual can look up the limit for you.

callaroz

Thank you very much for the reponses. So is it the same seat in the US? Why is the seat not used to 80 pounds in Canada?

We have a 2005 Honda Civic and a 2010 Subaru Impreza WRX. I believe I read that the Subaru has a 60 pound latch limit and that Honda is 40 pounds. Now does this include the weight of the carseat and the weight of the child? I'm a little confused about that! And a confirmation of the latch limits would be great :)

amyd

They do have the Radian XT in the States. Generally, the seats are the same between the 2 countries, but Canada has some different regulations about how much foam needs to be in the head portion of the restraint so sometimes the US seats are not identical to the Canadian ones. No seats in Canada (with the exception of special needs seats) harness past 65lbs because that is the current limit allowed by the Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (CMVSS 213, specifically).

You are correct that the UAS limit on the Honda is 40lbs. That's the weight of the child alone. The Subaru is 60lbs, which includes the weight of the child AND the weight of the restraint.

dragonfly8

You might find that the second from the top slot height is actually okay, once you drive he might sink down a bit. I very recently had this issue, the straps were just below my son's shoulders on the second from the top, but when we were driving, he sunk down quite below and that's where we left them.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'd definitely go for the upper slots. The way the straps are wrapping over his shoulders he's not going to sink enough to end up below the slots unless you gain growing room once the seat is installed.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC