Clarification re: washing straps, etc.

arly1983

So only the shoulder straps are replacable on the TFP.

The crotch, adjuster, and latch strap are not.

Susan call First Years and told them about all the mold on the straps of the TFP and they called her back after talking to an engineer and recommended that I could wash the straps that were not replacable with soap and water and see if that helped.

I was under the impression that that was a big NO-NO! :thumbsdown:

Obviously I would rather not trash a $200+ seat but REALLY wouldn't use an unsafe one either so I just want some clarification.

Hopefully Susan will chime in as well with exactly what she was told and will set me right if I don't remember everything correctly.

ADS

Dillipop

I was always under the impression that a mild soap and water solution was ok to use on straps, if hand washing. For liability reasons, companies say not to wash with anything because someone is going to read soap and see the word bleach, which would be a huge no no.

Honestly, I'd be fine trying a little soap and water. In fact, I usually dilute a little soap in water, then use a soaking wet wash cloth to wipe down the straps, then do a quick rinse under running water and lay out to dry. IMO, vomit or urine sitting on the straps are going to do a lot more harm than a little mild soap, kwim?

ETA- I think this falls under parental choice. You've gotten the go ahead from the company who makes the seat you own.

susanx4

yes the lady at learning curve talked to the engineers and called me back and said that you could wipe down the straps with warm soapy water to clean them off and then vinegar to kill the mold and make sure it doesn't come back.
and they are sending out replacement harness straps

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
As far as I know, only soaking them in bleach will weaken them (and obviously, they will get frayed, you'd clearly not use them again), but yeah, they just say *no washing!* to keep an overzealous mom from doing that (if you say 'mild soap', someone will still think that means put them in the dishwasher or soak them in powerful cleaning chemicals or iron them or starch them... easier to cut them off at the pass.... and plus, their other goal is to have the straps meet the anti-flammability standard that all car interior parts have to meet... that same mom will also soak them in downy and ruin THAT...probably even water will ruin that, but hopefully we aren't flicking hot ashes onto our kids from cigarettes and putting them in fire danger).

So, um, yeah, I've been known to rinse my straps in lots of water and sometimes scrub the seams with a toothbrush and dishwashing detergent (clothes washing detergent might be even more gentle, since it's made to not destroy your clothes, which straps essentially are).

In other words, I'm glad they can send a new harness, and approve of washing the parts that can't be replaced :thumbsup:

mommyfrog

yes the lady at learning curve talked to the engineers and called me back and said that you could wipe down the straps with warm soapy water to clean them off and then vinegar to kill the mold and make sure it doesn't come back.
and they are sending out replacement harness straps

Hmmm...vinegar. I was told vinegar is acidic and shouldn't be used on straps. That's very interesting info from the engineers.

pj2rc

arghh --- why couldn't this thread have been 3 weeks ago ... I just trashed 2 seats that th harnesses got mold on in basement and couldn;t figour out what to do with them because I couldn't "clean" the straps!!!! :hitselfonhead:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC