Need a second opinion on booster fit (w/ pics)

Ahzryn

I need a second opinion, keep going back and forth :eek:.

A is about 70 pounds and 4'10". She rides in a Monterey in our van, and no issues there, but my car is becoming an issue.

She was in a Recaro Start in there, and while the fit was great, it was getting uncomfortable for her and she asked to have the Parkway we had as a spare full time. Ok, no problem, swapped them out. Things were good for about a year, but I just had to move the Parkway to the top notch and I am not liking the fit anymore, especially in seat depth. She has maybe an inch of torso, but I think it's outgrown by leg length. In the pics below, her feet are pretty much flat on the floor of the car.

4942579690_1d97e42eab_m.jpg
4941995701_ac50da3b21_m.jpg

So, I humored her, and tried no booster. Close, but no cigar. She needs another few inches of leg, and the lap belt is a little bit high.

4941996189_bd596d8df3_m.jpg
4941996385_c37d35689a_m.jpg

I went digging in the garage and dug up one of the backlesses I got on sale, and I am not liking the fit on it AT ALL. Seat depth is good, although maybe too deep, but the lap belt is actually too LOW and she sits up too high.

4941996889_79b043909f_m.jpg
4942581772_06335e7337_m.jpg

So.... what would you do? Keep using the Parkway, it's not that bad? Try a different backless? I hate to get a second Monterey, because it isn't going to be long at this point. Pretty sure I have a Turbo laying around I could try backless, dunno why I didn't think of it when I was playing with seats.

ADS

Qarin

Is she comfortable in the Parkway? I'm not sure I understand your concern with the seat depth if she is comfortable.

Without a booster... her feet are solidly on the floor, right? Are you concerned she'll slouch to get her leg fully bent? I'm thinking that because her feet are on the floor that slouching is less likely. If a kid left my seat check in the belt like that, I don't think I'd have night sweats over it. Does the middle seat position have a slightly shorter seat portion, such that her legs would bend completely at the edge there?

The backless definitely lifts her up too high, ears over the seatback. I don't the lap belt "too low" is a problem- it would hold her down and back- but she does not have adequate whiplash protection.

Ahzryn

Dunno if Mom is ready to let the booster go :( If I had SAB, I'd say it's time, but...

My concern with the Parkway is she's actually tending to scoot forward to get her legs comfortable, which actually rides the lap belt up and leaves a gap behind her butt. Almost like a no-boostered kid to get their legs to bend over the seat edge.

Oh, and the too low lapbelt in the backless? It's really hard to tell in the pic, but the belt was actually almost two inches forward of the crease between her pelvis and her thighs, so completely on her thighs and not touching her pelvis at all. Between trying it and taking the pic it looks like she slouched her butt forward because it felt so weird. Width wise it was actually good, so I am having a hard time picturing what body shape would fit this backless in my car. Think it and it's twin are headed for swap, haven't used it in 6 months and doesn't look like it will ever be a good fit for us.

Wish I could lay hands on a Right Fit. They add so little height and just help position the lap belt :(.

Maedze

I'm actually perfectly comfortable with the no-booster fit. Just remind her not to slouch :twocents:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Footrest for the PW, maybe? Just some low thing like a plastic shoe box to keep her sitting up better, might help?

Pixels

I think she's fine without a booster as long as she doesn't slouch. The Parkway still looks fine, as long as she's not complaining. The backless is a horrible fit.

If you're okay with her being backless, why the concern over lack of SAB?

tracee877

Another vote for the Harmony! We have 3 of them. It's my most favorite backless ever. Fits both my older kids perfect.

Ahzryn

The harmony literider is similar. You can find it at walmart for $13.50. It might be worth trying it out.

I agree :thumbsup: I think the harmony would be perfect for her.

Me three.

The backless is a horrible fit.

Another vote for the Harmony! We have 3 of them. It's my most favorite backless ever. Fits both my older kids perfect.

Lol, the backless IS a Harmony! :ROTFLMAO: It's this one though, not the Walmart version: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3472171. Is the Walmart smaller/thinner?

If you're okay with her being backless, why the concern over lack of SAB?

Actually, I'm not OK with it. I picked up those two backless Harmonys last fall on mega sale to have as spares for carpooling, etc. But, since I've picked them up, I've never needed them. I just tried it to see, really. Now I'm curious to try the Turbo and the Monterey backless just to see how their fit is.

Given a choice, I'd rather have some SIP. I was hoping I'd have a new car before she outgrew boosters, but looks like she is going to beat me to it. We keep small plastic stools in the van, but as small as it is it's too tall for my car. I really only need something like 2" tall at most.

Tonight was too busy, will have to play seats some other night. It's been long enough I might have her try the Recaro again. Never did get around to selling them.

Thanks for all the input!

tiggercat

As long as she can sit like that the whole trip, I think she passes the 5 step test. It's a little hard to tell, but are her calves pushing against the vehicle seat or is there space?
I know exactly what you mean about her slouching forward in the parkway, we had the same problem with Greg, and if he shifted enough, he ended up with the lapbelt way up on his tummy. The clek Olli fits him super, but that would be pricey and probably have the same lack of head support issue in your vehicle.

christineka

The harmony literider is smaller than the deluxe comfort. The deluxe comfort actually scored on the iihs' "not recommended" list. I don't know where the literider scored, but I've only seen good fit on all the pictures of kids I've seen in it.

Jennifer mom to my 7

Lol, the backless IS a Harmony! Given a choice, I'd rather have some SIP. I was hoping I'd have a new car before she outgrew boosters, but looks like she is going to beat me to it. We keep small plastic stools in the van, but as small as it is it's too tall for my car. I really only need something like 2" tall at most.

Thanks for all the input!

Do you mean the stool for under her feet? If so, what about a phone book?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC