oops!

hunypooh77

I knew my DDs Marathon that was in DHs truck was expiring soon...so when the straps needed to go up to the top slots I figured I would check it. Well I searched all over the sides of the seat and found nothing, I thought maybe the sticker came off or something until DH lifted up the seat cover and there it was on the front of the bottom of the seat, with a date of....March 2003 :eek:
I almost had a heart attack! I know we want to get her a Frontier 85 to have in the truck, we just dont really have the extra funds right now. I tried her in our spare seat, Evenflo Titan, and she is too tall.
So...I had a Marathon shell in the garage with a date sometime in 2006. I stripped the expired seat of the crotch buckle and straps because I bought new ones 2 years ago and then put them in the seat from the garage. Only problem with that seat is that I bought it from someone because I wanted the cover, they did assure me it was never in an accident and they knew I was just buying it for the cover so I figure why would they lie. Other than being filthy the seat was in great shape.
Do you think this is a safe temporary seat for her? She primarily rides in my vehicle and is only in DHs truck a couple times a week, but she needs something until we can get her a Frontier.

PS...we dropped the expired seat off at the recycling center in town, with no straps or buckle so hopefully nobody thinks they can use it...

ADS

Maedze

No, it's not safe to use a seat with an unknown history, unless you actually know for yourself that seat was not involved in any accidents.

You don't need to spend 270 dollars to keep her safe in the car. How old is she and how much does she weigh?

Irishmama

I wouldn't be comfortable using a seat I didn't know 100% of the history. It's possible they got it from someone who was in an accident and didn't think it was a big deal, etc.

How old is DD and what is her height and weight?

hunypooh77

She is 3 1/2 and 36 pounds, 39 1/2 inches tall...and I just had her sit on the floor and measured from her crotch to her shoulders and she is almost 15 inches....I originally thought Nautilus but when she sits in one she is almost to the 2nd buckle slot and I know it shouldnt be under her. She fits great in the Frontier....

Jennifer mom to my 7

The buckle being there on the nautilus is fine. It is okay for the buckle slot to be under the child a little. They just can't be sitting on the actual buckle, if that makes sense.

There have been several threads on this issue here, and graco finally said that the crotch strap being on a bit of an angle out is fine.

What about getting a maestro for now? That is even cheaper than the nautilus, at only 70 dollars, and will last just as long for a lighter child like yours.

hunypooh77

The Maestro reminds me of the Chase, which my 9 year old had when he was younger. I hated the Evenflo seats though, stupid chest clip has never ever stayed in place on any Evenflo I have ever used for my kids, and it was very easy for DS to undo...so I am certain DH would never go for it...thats also why the Titan was our backup seat and has been used maybe 3 times.

DH is very decided on the Frontier, so I have been searching for a good deal on one. The Diapers.com deal that everyone has gotten wouldnt be so great for us because we have to pay sales tax in NJ with them. Is there possibly a sale thats better than the 20% one coming up soon?

Irishmama

Babies R Us is having their great trade-in event until September 19th. You could take one of the expired Marathons in and get a coupon for 25% off to use on the Frontier.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC