did I suggest the right thing?

mommyfrog

My SIL asked me a kid in the car question. I'm pretty sure I gave the right answer, but want to double check. They have a 1992 Ford Taurus SW with the third row seat. Front row is driver, lap belt, l/s. Middle seat is l/s, lap, l/s. Back row is two lap belts. She has an almost 9 year old about 80 pounds and maybe 4'4" or 5", a 7 year old about 90 pounds and and inch or so taller than his brother, an 18 month old ff in convertible (working on that one soon) about 25 pounds and 32-33 inches, and a 1 month old in Graco 22(no problems there). So she asked me when they all go somewhere together, where should she have the other boy ride who isn't in the middle row. I told her the third row because between the front middle with a lap belt or the third row rf with a lap belt, that would be safer. Right answer? I didn't think to ask her where he rides when her dh is not with them. I know neither of the older boys has a booster. My dh told me after he helped her get the kids in the car. I don't think she can fit a booster with the other two seats and also I don't think there are headrests in the back seats. I'll check belt fit. I'm going to be going by her house sometime this week to give her some baby clothes and I'll be talking to her about turning her 18 month old rf again. He kicks the baby when they are in the car and of course it will be much, much safer for him. Anyway, should I suggest she have one of the older boys ride in the front passenger with a booster when her dh isn't with them? That would be safer than the lap belt in the third row, right?

ADS

Maedze

No. LOL.

No one should be riding in a lap belt only.

The 8 and 9 year olds should be outboard in the second row (in boosters, obviously).

The 18 month old baby should be rear facing between the two.

Because the car has no airbags, then the 2 month old baby should go in the front seat, middle position, in the lap belt (in a rear facing restraint, obviously).

Last edited:

mommyfrog

Thanks so much. I had a loss recently so I'm not thinking too clearly!! I'll go see her ASAP or maybe just call her and suggest it and check it all later.

MomToEliEm

In the situation you gave, the two boys would have to go outboard in that second row as there are no other lap/shoulder seatbelts available. Does the vehicle have tether anchors? If not, hopefully a few can be retrofitted so she can use the tether for any forward facing carseat.

The 8 and 9 year olds should be outboard in the third row (in boosters, obviously).

Did you mean third row or second row (pretty sure you meant second row since there isn't a middle seat in the 3rd row for the 18 month old.

Maggie

No. LOL.

No one should be riding in a lap belt only.

The 8 and 9 year olds should be outboard in the third row (in boosters, obviously).

Because the car has no airbags, then the 2 month old baby should go in the front seat, middle position, in the lap belt (in a rear facing restraint, obviously).

Pretty sure the '92 Taurus wagon's 3rd row is one of those flip up seats in the trunk, rear facing with lapbelts only.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
So not only would a booster in the 3rd row be a bad idea b/c it can be used on a RF seat, but there are only lap belts, which can not be used with a booster.

Maedze must have just accidentally said third row, unless she meant to not put anyone in the second row. ;)

Maedze

Yes, Maedze made a typo. ;) That should have said second row. I would not recommend putting anyone in the third row for a variety of reasons.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I would not recommend putting anyone in the third row for a variety of reasons.

I agree with Maedze here. The only time I would consider putting someone in this type of rear-facing third row is if there were lap/shoulder belts available, the child passes the 5-step test, and there was adequate head support. In this situation, there are no lap/shoulder belts in this seat, and since there are no head rests, any child big enough to pass the 5-step test is not going to have adequate head support.

Maedze

Whoa, good catch.

Okeydokey, plan B.

9 year old front seat, all the way back, with a booster.

8 year old boostered outboard, newborn middle seat rear facing, 1 year old outboard, rear facing (don't forget you'll likely need a locking clip for that outboard side)

And honestly, they shouldn't travel *all* in that vehicle. If Dad is along for the ride, someone's going to be at significant risk.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC