Is the Evenflo - Big Kid Deluxe Booster any good?

todzwife

I'm sure there's a reason it's not recommended here all the time...but what is it? It looks a lot like a turbo booster...

please share!

ADS

ericarizo

I got mine at a carseat check and it seems to work for us. They told me that it is one of the few that you do not need a seat headrest behind it so that makes me happy because DH's car does not have headrests.

babyherder

I like the TB better than the evenflo. The TB feels sturdier overall and has larger headwings. It also tends to position the lap belt better than the Evenflo big kid. The Big Kid Deluxe has EPS foam but the regular Big Kid does not. But if you like the big kid deluxe and it fits your kid, there's not really a reason not to use it.

I think most boosters did not need head rests behind them. I know some made by Dorel do but I've never heard of any others. Might be time to do some more research.

firemomof3

We don't recommend the Big Kid booster because it traditionally does not place the lap belt correctly, its usually too high up on the abdomen. The Graco TB is about the same price but it almost always a much better fit :)

Maedze

I got mine at a carseat check and it seems to work for us. They told me that it is one of the few that you do not need a seat headrest behind it so that makes me happy because DH's car does not have headrests.

That's actually not true at all. Most high back boosters do not require support behind the head. THe only exception are Dorel-branded boosters.

We use Evenflo Big Kids at check points too...because they're cheap :cool: I wouldn't recommend that seat to anyone on purpose, though. Overall, it tends to position the lap belt a little high for my comfort. It also has very shallow head wings.

The Turbobooster is a much sturdier product, has deeper headwings for side impact protection, and usually positions the belt perfectly, so for two seats in the same price bracket it's got the upper hand.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I have the BKDeluxe. I would NOT recommend the regular Big Kid but the deluxe version with the EPS plus larger headwings is fine. I never had problems with the positioning of the belt. It does feel more flimsy than my TB but that never bothered me. Honestly, my ds says it is more padded in the bottom than the TB, he prefers it.
I like when I need it in a tight 3 across that the armrests flip up. That has helped a lot in buckling in that situation.

dmpmercury

I was wondering the same thing. I don't need a booster yet but when my dd needs one it is going to be a tight 3 across and I heard it is narrow and is good for tight situations. I obviously won't get something that doesn't fit right but I am hoping that I could get a good fit with it. Does it not work for petite kids? Can you get a good lap belt fit in some cars?

Maedze

I was wondering the same thing. I don't need a booster yet but when my dd needs one it is going to be a tight 3 across and I heard it is narrow and is good for tight situations. I obviously won't get something that doesn't fit right but I am hoping that I could get a good fit with it. Does it not work for petite kids? Can you get a good lap belt fit in some cars?

I've noticed that the shoulder belt fit isn't optimal with really tiny kids, but it's not a safety concern, more a comfort one. The only way you'll know about the lap belt fit is to try it.

todzwife

Thanks for your input everyone :) DS will be 7 1/2 or so before we need a booster full time for him (he's in a RNXT in my car and a turbo in Dad's)...I'll probably just get another turbo unless we find it hard to buckle. I just ordered a coccoro for our littlest though and my other kiddo is in a RN so there SHOULD be room for a turbo.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC