Better off in a booster?

greenmansions

I am getting new seats for my kids after a minor car accident. DD is 4 1/2, 42 inches tall, about 35 pounds. She has been in a Nautilus with harness, but we are erratic about tethering it. We'll get it done perfectly and then have to remove the seat for something and then not tether it in for weeks at a time.

I am wondering if she'd be better off in a booster seat with this being the situation, or if we should get another nauti for her. If a booster is a better route, what boosters should I consider for a smaller kid like she is?

Thanks.

ADS

Maedze

I would not put such a small and young child in a booster full time. I WOULD, however, resolve that you must install your child's seat correctly.

Hooking on a tether takes about 15 seconds, less once you've done it once or twice.

It's something that you can do, and need to choose to do, as part of your child traveling safely in the car.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
She's better off tethered and harnessed at that age and size. I mean no disrespect, but if you are "erratic" about tethering, would you be equally "erratic" about buckling properly?

greenmansions

No I don't think I would be erratic about buckling properly. I will say that I am not 100% sure that DD would sit properly as she is a wiggly kid. I currently install the seats very tightly so there is zero side to side motion, and ensure that the kids are in with no slack in the straps and the chest clip is properly placed. It's just that tethering the seats in takes us a good 10 minutes each time, to run the line under the headrests and pull everything tightly enough, and it doesn't always get done at the same time the seats are buckled in, sometimes the back of the car is full of stuff and I can't get at the anchors, blah blah blah = not valid excuses but the reality.

Maybe I am doing something wrong with it since it takes so long to get the seats tethered (the Britax I have is even worse than the Nauti)... Do the tethers need to be pulled really tightly? Can they run over the headrest instead of under? This is in a Volvo XC 70 and the headrests do not lift up so threading anything under them is a huge pain to do. Seems like every time the straps get twisted, I can't pull tightly, and I have to start over. Every single time.

That said we just got a new Odyssey today, so maybe it will be easier in there. I haven't tried it yet.

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
Volvo requires that the top tether be routed under the headrests. I know the headrests are quirky, but once I understood how to deal with them, it was fairly straightforward to get the tether attached and appropriately tightened. :) Do you flip your headrests forward before attempting to thread the tether through? I have a Volvo S80, and it can be a bit of a pain to deal with flipping the headrest forward (sometimes the headrest will flip up and lock, then I have to go back into the front seat to turn the key, then press the headrest button again), but it's definitely doable once I got the hang of it.

I haven't installed a Nautilus in my Volvo, but I have done a Frontier (so a combination seat). What I do is thread the top tether under the headrest first, before installing the seat. I loosely attach the tether to the top tether anchor and I make sure that the tether strap isn't twisted, then I install the seat. Once the seat is tightly installed, then I tighten the top tether.

I posted about the headrests in my Volvo here, so maybe the visual will help.

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
My trick for getting the tethers done up is to flip the seat back forward just enough to get your hand back there. It saves you from crawling in the back, and it makes no difference if you have stuff in the cargo area. :thumbsup:

Evolily

Well, firstly, why are you removing the nautilus so frequently? Maybe we can solve that for you so you don't have to deal with a tricky tether situation as frequently.

It's my understanding that harness seats, untethered, test as well or better than boosters for head excursion. However, you should still tether whenever possible.

brooklynsmommy

Another thing you could try is to hook the top tether loosened all the way before you install the seat. That way the seat isn't in the way when you're trying to do the top tether. Just make sure that none of the slack gets stuck behind the seat when you actually install it. Then just take out all the slack of the top tether once the seat is installed. I used to have to do this in my sister's Focus hatchback with the top tethers BEHIND the seats. So you literally had to fold the seats down first and hook the top tether (or make sure it was though the top part before putting the seat back upright and then go back and hook it) and then install it.

greenmansions

We remove the nautis frequently because DH is doing a lot of home reno for us, and often needs to fold down the back seat to bring drywall or 2x4s or whatever home from Home Depot, or to make a dump run. So out come the seats. Not much that can be done about it. As I noted we just got an Odyssey so I think things are going to change with regard to needing to remove the seats so often. We think we are going to sell the Volvo now.

Thanks for the tip to put on the tether first. I think that will make a huge difference. Once the seats are in, you can't tip the Volvo headrest forward to squeeze the tether through and I get tired of dealing with how hard it is to do.

(I say Nautis plural because both my kids currently use one, but DS is 6 1/2 and I am going to get him a booster now instead of another nauti, I think.)

Now another question, we also have a 95 Subaru Legacy wagon, no headrests in the backseat and no tether anchors that I can find. What is best practice in this case for my 4 1/2 yo? HBB or untethered harnessed seat?

gigi

Until a few months ago I had a 96 Legacy L wagon. There were tether points in the roof just behind the back seat...you had to remove a plastic cap.

a_js

For a 4 1/2 year old, harnessed is the way to go. You can usually have a dealer put tether anchors in for you. If that isn't possible, I would rather have my 4 1/2 year old in an untethered harnessed seat than a booster in any case.

mytwobugs

We remove the nautis frequently because DH is doing a lot of home reno for us, and often needs to fold down the back seat to bring drywall or 2x4s or whatever home from Home Depot, or to make a dump run. So out come the seats. Not much that can be done about it. As I noted we just got an Odyssey so I think things are going to change with regard to needing to remove the seats so often. We think we are going to sell the Volvo now.

Thanks for the tip to put on the tether first. I think that will make a huge difference. Once the seats are in, you can't tip the Volvo headrest forward to squeeze the tether through and I get tired of dealing with how hard it is to do.

(I say Nautis plural because both my kids currently use one, but DS is 6 1/2 and I am going to get him a booster now instead of another nauti, I think.)

Now another question, we also have a 95 Subaru Legacy wagon, no headrests in the backseat and no tether anchors that I can find. What is best practice in this case for my 4 1/2 yo? HBB or untethered harnessed seat?
We have a '94 Legacy wagon. There are predrilled holes in the ceiling of the cargo area near the back. You can easily order a tether anchor to install (they are not free from Subaru like from some manufacturers, but not too expensive). You just have to pop a little plastic plug/cover out and screw the bolt of the tether in.)

greenmansions

We have a '94 Legacy wagon. There are predrilled holes in the ceiling of the cargo area near the back. You can easily order a tether anchor to install (they are not free from Subaru like from some manufacturers, but not too expensive). You just have to pop a little plastic plug/cover out and screw the bolt of the tether in.)

thanks I will look into that. I have not noticed the holes but I will go take a look.

greenmansions

Thanks everyone for your help. I will be getting DD another Nautilus and will figure out the tethering issues for our cars. We have a number of techs nearby so worst case I will contact one of them.

mytwobugs

I'm sure you'll find the holes for the tether bolts now that you know where to look and that they are under the little caps. The outboard are under the caps farthest to the edges on the "soft" part of the ceiling and the middle is under a cap on the hard part in front of the upper brake light. If all else I can post pictures if you are having trouble - let me know.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC