Riding on a fire truck

OddOneOut

Today the fire station in our (small) town sponsored a picnic and then gave rides on the fire truck to the kids. We didn't go, but we saw the fire truck go by a few times with the kids on it. They put kids as little as 3 or 4 on the TOP OF THE FIRE TRUCK! Am I crazy in thinking that that is NOT safe? Even if all they were doing was going slowly on side streets, no main roads that I could tell.

It is not uncommon for kids to be out of car seats by 3 or 4 around here, but it was the fire department. I guess I just would have expected a little more.

Do other fire departments do this, too. Just curious what you all think.

ADS

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Our department doesn't do it for picnics, but the firefighters children CAN ride on the engine (with the other parent) during parades.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
We do not allow that at our station (small, tiny town) or the next two towns over. That is very dangerous, and even our back woods hick fire fighter know that. Before I get flames, remember, I am one of the fire fighters.

mommy-medic

:eek:

OMG!!! That is NOT safe AT ALL!!! There was a firefighter death not too long ago from falling off the apparatus- while it was parked outside the bay! http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/fire/reports/face200727.html

The rules at my department clearly state that riding a moving apparatus from the outside is ONLY allowed when loading 5" hose (about 6-7" wide when flat, and heavy as all getout)- MUST be backing slowly AND have a spotter. Putting someone else's kids on it? Nuh-uh. No way. Heck the top of most trucks is a good 10' or better- and a fall from over 2x a child's height is potentially fatal. :thumbsdown:

emtb79

The only time I rode on the top was what mommy-medic said and I basically freaked out because it was a firefighter1 class and had never seen it before.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
My DH's dept requires people to be 14 to ride in the truck. (No one rides ON the truck.) He said he was appalled to see a bunch of little kids piled onto a San Diego truck for a ride, though, so it's not just little towns that do it, apparently.

OddOneOut

Good to know that I'm not the only one who thinks that's a little crazy. I'm sure I'm the only one in town, though who even thought about it.

I know my 3 year old ds would have loved to ride on the fire truck, but I just couldn't let him do it.

Mae

Our department doesn't do it for picnics, but the firefighters children CAN ride on the engine (with the other parent) during parades.

What she said. My niece and nephews all ride in the trucks for parades; my stepdad is a captain. Either way, the firemen's family members (ok, the kids) are allowed to ride during the parade. This is also inside the truck, not on top!

babyherder

My little brother and cousin were invited to sit inside a fire truck after a parade in my grandfather's small town. But the truck was parked in the station. It didn't move!

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
We do fire truck rides every year, but the kids are IN the truck, in properly installed seats.

Maedze

What a bunch of....unspeakably idiotic hicks. Not to mention dangerous and stupid, it's incredibly unprofessional.

Judi's DH

Senior Community Member
:eek:

OMG!!! That is NOT safe AT ALL!!! There was a firefighter death not too long ago from falling off the apparatus- while it was parked outside the bay! http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/fire/reports/face200727.html
:yeahthat:

The rules at my department clearly state that riding a moving apparatus from the outside is ONLY allowed when loading 5" hose (about 6-7" wide when flat, and heavy as all getout)- MUST be backing slowly AND have a spotter. Putting someone else's kids on it? Nuh-uh. No way. Heck the top of most trucks is a good 10' or better- and a fall from over 2x a child's height is potentially fatal. :thumbsdown:

Our department and most departments in Oregon-Washington-Northern California it is against SOP/SOG's to ride on a moving apparatus for any reason. I believe there is an OSHA guideline against this as well as strict NFPA Guidelines on riding in or on an apparatus. That being said my job requires me to load 1000's of feet of hose a day including the dreaded 5-inch LDH your department needs something like this > http://www.nhts.com/spinner/index.html

it's far safer than loading from a moving truck. :thumbsup:
Your department can build one much cheaper than buying one from us I'm not trying to sell this just recommending it as a safer way to do things.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Our fire trucks have harnesses for *all* the firefighters now (they used to be exempt like buses for the firefighters so some firefighters, loaded with equipment just sat in the seats, I think they are the RF seats) so there is no way they'd ever be able to take a child with them as the harnesses are designed for adult firefighters *with* equipment and no none is allowed to be in the truck unrestrained. That being said, even before they had the adult harnesses and still had the exemption like a bus, they never drove anywhere with kids.

NannyMom

Digging this up.

I was at a bday party for 1 of Sofi's friends. I was talking to the Mom of another of their friends. She said she was planning to have the kiddo's party at the fire station. Great idea :thumbsup: But then I cringed..... if it's a nice day, they'll take the kids out for a ride on the fire truck.

The carseat freak in me is freaking out :eek: TINY barely- 4 year olds..... riding on the truck. And her twins are smaller than Sofi! I'm thinking of calling the fire station. Maybe ask about doing a party.... and see what they actually do truck wise. I really doubt they have the kids properly restrained like Judi does ;) Or, just pray for bad weather? I think it's in Nov.

WWYD?

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Ask if they are ok with you installing the seat. I would doubt they would do it right also. I saw pics from our neighboring station. Scenera, child harnessed, seat belt over, like booster mode.

NannyMom

Ask if they are ok with you installing the seat. I would doubt they would do it right also. I saw pics from our neighboring station. Scenera, child harnessed, seat belt over, like booster mode.

Would her having a carseat even help if there are 4 year old "projectiles"?

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
True, you have a great point.

Ok, how about the new Britax Bubble? That should work.

NannyMom

True, you have a great point.

Ok, how about the new Britax Bubble? That should work.

I know someone that has a Roundabout sitting in front of her house. It has a moldy harness, and huge chunk of fray in the adjuster strap. I'm sure she'll let me borrow it, especially if I stop by while she's at work :whistle: Do you think I could fit the entire truck on a Roundabout? Or should I find a Marathon?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC