OMG! Another one!! How can people think this is safe?

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Look what I found when searching for information about installing carseats in the center of a Subaru...

We recently tried to install a Britax Marathon rear-facing in a 2001 Subaru Outback, and could not get it secure in the middle. We had to resort to the outboard position using the LATCHes, but I would prefer the seat be in the middle. Per Subaru, you must use the lap belts (not LATCH) in the middle. But the plastic ''clamps'' on the carseat that are supposed to hold the belt tightly in place do not hold it. I called Britax, and they do not keep records of their seats' fit into certain car models. Subaru refused to opine. Two Berkeley police ''seat checkers'' were as puzzled as I was. Were any of you out there with my seat and my car able to get the seat installed in the middle and pass a ''seat checker's'' inspection? If so, I'd like to discuss how you did it. Thanks! kate
We have a Roundabout, not the Marathon, but we have had the same problem in our Subaru, with the seatbelt not staying tight in the middle of the back seat. Our solution was to use those big metal binder clips from office supply stores to hold the belt tight - two of them for extra security. I don't know if that would pass with the carseat checkers, but it definitely keeps the carseat really securely in there. Jen

BINDER CLIPS?!?!?!?!? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Are you kidding?

ADS

lovinwaves

ROFLMAO!! :rolleyes: I would LOVE to see a picture of that. I am having a hard time visualizing it. Can you get a photo from that lady?

I love how she says I'm not sure if that would pass with the "carseat Checkers" (LOL!), but gee....OH WELL, who cares...those "carseat Checkers" dont' know anything.

beebear23

Senior Community Member
Around here the techs use large binder clips to TEMPORARILY hold the shoulder belt when working w/switchable retractors, so they don't tighten up before they want them to. Maybe that is where they got the idea? We always take them off and make sure the parents realize that we don't leave it on there..

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
Around here the techs use large binder clips to TEMPORARILY hold the shoulder belt when working w/switchable retractors, so they don't tighten up before they want them to. Maybe that is where they got the idea? We always take them off and make sure the parents realize that we don't leave it on there..

Ohhh! I should get them for that! That sounds handy! I hate when the belts tighten up before you want them to! But, yeah, using them to install a car seat? Why, oh why would anyone think that is safe!

Amaris

I use a locking clip to keep the seatbelt from tightening before I want it to. I had to do that with the regent because the belt kept coming all the way out and it would go back in and lock before I was done. I put the locking clip all the way at the top of the shoulder belt to keep it in place......but definately removed it when I was done!!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC