Roundabout 55 vs the old 40 lb version (pic heavy)

crunchierthanthou

In another thread, someone said the new one was essentially the size of the old one, and only had a higher weight limit. I just happened to have both in my possession yesterday. I was borrowing the old style from a friend after our car was crashed until my diapers.com pre-order came. I didn't have a tape measure handy, but here are some pictures.

And no installed pictures, but the new RA55 takes up even less space rf than the old RA40. :thumbsup: I didn't move the seat at all, and there's at least a two inch gap behind dh's seat where the shell was just touching before.

Also, no pics off dd, for whom it was purchased. She was napping.

Here they are from the front. I can't remember if they were upright or reclined. :eek: You can see that not only does the RA55 have a taller shell, the seating area is lower.

front.jpg

side view upright -

sidesupright-1.jpg

side view reclined -

sidesreclined-1.jpg

ds, 5y9m, 44" and 40 lbs in RA55 (the groucho glasses sticker wasn't showing up. now it'll probably show both...)

55height-1.jpg

he was right at the top slot - probably would have been over in the car.

slotheight.jpg

the RA40 was way, way, way outgrown

40height-1.jpg

and others of the RA55:

naked -

naked.jpg

the cover that won't stay on -

coverslip1.jpg

This is the closest I can get to fitting around that lip, even after I removed the cover and tried to fit it from the top down and keep it in place.

coverslip2.jpg

ADS

Qarin

In another thread, someone said the new one was essentially the size of the old one, and only had a higher weight limit.

You can see that not only does the RA55 have a taller shell, the seating area is lower

I thought the "size of the old one" was in comparison to the "old" RA50, not the older RA40... :confused: Wasn't the RA50 Marathon-sized?

I probably didn't see the specific thread you're referring to, though, so maybe someone did say that, comparing RA55 with RA40.

NVMBR02

Thanks for the pictures. The Marathon 70 doesn't excite me at all but I like the looks of the RA55. I :love: that cover. I hadn't seen that one until today, but it is very nice.

crunchierthanthou

I thought the "size of the old one" was in comparison to the "old" RA50, not the older RA40... :confused: Wasn't the RA50 Marathon-sized?

I probably didn't see the specific thread you're referring to, though, so maybe someone did say that, comparing RA55 with RA40.

this thread - http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=138192

this post:

But I thought the stats on the roundabout 55 were shorter than the marathon and boulevard 70.

I had thought the conclusion was that the roundabout 55 would be the 40 pound roundabout with a 55 pound limit?

The roundabout 50 was based on the decathlon shell, so 3 crotch strap positions and no latch bars.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Can you tether rf'ing w/the RA55? IIRC, it doesn't say on their website and I haven't bothered to read the manual. The RA always has been my favorite Britax seat, ever. Maybe I should look at the 55 if we should need a new seat. ;)

mydogteaser

The RA always has been my favorite Britax seat, ever.

The RA is my favorite car seat ever period. I know it is outgrown way before kids are ready for boosters (but aren't all 40 pound seats?), but it's a great seat for babies and toddlers. The ease of install and the harness adjuster that just slides rather than the tug,tug, tug of the other Britax seats...oh how I loved that seat. (Ours expired. I actually cried when I destroyed that seat.) May it RIP.

Athena

And no installed pictures, but the new RA55 takes up even less space rf than the old RA40. :thumbsup: I didn't move the seat at all, and there's at least a two inch gap behind dh's seat where the shell was just touching before.

Wow! This surprised me. That is interesting. So it seems like this is an improvement over the old RA 40. It fits better, yet has higher limits, latch bars, and non handed latch connectors. Thanks!

Jennifer mom to my 7

Hey, I didn't say it was, I said I thought it was;), but we didn't have seats in hand back when the speculation was going on about all the new seats.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Cool! Can you believe it's been at our BRU for over a week, but still in the box :eek: I'm a bad baby gear girl, bad bad bad (but there is NO space on the floor, billions of old Britaxes are still all over the place!)

sb518

Ohhh you just sparked my interest. I *REALLY* like the looks of that. Do we know how it compares to the classic Marathon? I need to do some searching it looks like.

cpsaddict

Um, it looks exactly the same as the MA70, minus the adjustable strap/headrest thing. I mean, naked, the shell is identical. My MA70 is currently naked, due to an unfortunate incident today.

crunchierthanthou

Ohhh you just sparked my interest. I *REALLY* like the looks of that. Do we know how it compares to the classic Marathon? I need to do some searching it looks like.

well, you could come compare your seat to mine. :) I was in your city last night. I should have called you so you could check it out.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC