Need seat ideas for J

fyrfightermomma

Joey just keeps on a growing! He has now outgrown his SS1 by height right before he turned 6 months. Crazy! He only has about 1-2 inches left in his CCO

We have a RA50 that will go in DH's car. Right now DH has the SS1 and I have the CCO. I'm thinking ahead to when I need to replace the CCO probably in another month or two. But I have a BRU coupon so I want to get one now

I know J is huge now but I think he'll follow Sophia's footsteps. She was HUGE(not on the chart) until 18 months. Then she just kinda stopped. At 18 months she was 35" and 32 pounds. Now at 3 1/2 she is 34ish pounds and 38". She still fits in the old Britax seats rear facing if it weren't for her weight.

So I think J will be the same way. Huge now, but will slow down so I don't anticipate needing a 40 lb seat or a super duper tall seat. He's following S's growth exactly and she's pretty small for her age now. None of my kids ever needed a 40 lb rear facing seat or even a really tall seat

So I have a few ideas I need help sorting out and the pros/cons

1. Evenflo Momentum 65. Is it as tall as the EFTA? Does it fit younger ones well? How "tight" are those side wings? Anyone have pics of a smaller child in it? Does it have the continuous harness? It is sans knobs though right?

2. Evenflo Symphony 65. How does this fit littles? Continuous harness? Easy to install? (I have an 06 Grand Caravan...or an 05...or something....lol) Decently tall? Remember, even though he's huge now, none of my kids ends up particularly tall past age 2.

3. Just get another RA50 or a cheap older Marathon somewhere. I know my kids fit in them and I don't need past a 35 lb limit. I'm thinking they will start getting cheaper soon

4. Try a new Britax but that scares me. While I don't need a tall seat, they seem super short.

I don't care too much about shell height as by the time he outgrows it (if he even does get too tall before I turn him FFing) S and E will probably be well out of harnessed seats and I'd have two Radians I can use for him if need be. I really don't like the Radians though so I want to avoid using them as long as possible.

Any other ideas? I know I already hate the Complete Air and My Ride. I couldn't stand lifting my kids over the sides. If I think getting him into the CCO is annoying I don't even want to imagine the My Ride. I just hated the CA overall.

I have a 20% coupon for BRU so I'd really like a seat I can get there.

ADS

NVMBR02

You can't get it at BRU (well, you can online, not in store though) but what about a True Fit? Nice tall shell, not super high sides, fits young babies and older kids well...

fyrfightermomma

You can't get it at BRU (well, you can online, not in store though) but what about a True Fit? Nice tall shell, not super high sides, fits young babies and older kids well...

Am I bad that I hated that one too? :eek: I had one for E and S for a long time actually. They constantly tipped to the side (the kid not the seat) and the straps were always slipping off their shoulders. Neither kid could rest their head on the side when resting or anything.
:eek::eek::eek:

I'm so picky. I hate this! The worst was trying to find a RFing seat everyone liked. I like when they are FFing much better. :) Too bad I have about 3 years LOL

babyherder

If you have radians with higher shells and higher rf weight limits I would get whatever you want for J now. Get something that you like and use it as long as you can. If he outgrows it before 4 (or whatever age you choose) then use the radian to rf longer. That leaves you with as little time as possible using a seat you don't like.

NVMBR02

Eh, it's not a bad thing to be picky.

I haven't had much time to play with the evenflo seats but I do think they are worth looking at. You don't hear much about them but in your situation they might be the best fit.

I don't like the way the new Britax seats look in pictures but I haven't gotten to look at the in person yet. I am actually planning to do that tomorrow. I do like the polka dot cover on the Roundabout55 though. :D

Recaro ProRide? Another seat I haven't yet seen in person. It looks nice although it may be too high up for you.

emtb79

What about taking the SS1 into BRU for the trae in event that way you get 25% off but it has to be in store. They have the old models of the CA and all Britax on clearance and then with the 25% as well quite a deal.

melniemi

I would probably use a radian in the second car for J and get S a ffing seat - ProSport maybe?

I'm in the same boat - need another rfing seat and can't seem to find what I want. Might end up with a RA50 - wish I had gotten a clearanced one.

fyrfightermomma

What about taking the SS1 into BRU for the trae in event that way you get 25% off but it has to be in store. They have the old models of the CA and all Britax on clearance and then with the 25% as well quite a deal.

. A member here gave it to me to use when we had zero money and no seat for J so I wouldn't feel right trading it in. I'd rather give it to someone who is in need and pay it forward, KWIM?

Too bad I have nothing else to trade in though!

fyrfightermomma

I would probably use a radian in the second car for J and get S a ffing seat - ProSport maybe?

I'm in the same boat - need another rfing seat and can't seem to find what I want. Might end up with a RA50 - wish I had gotten a clearanced one.

My master plan was that I just needed to last 8 more months. LOL

Right now Evelyn has a GN and a ProSport. Sophia has two Radians. Joey has the SS1 and CCO (with a RA50 waiting to replace the SS1).

So my plan was next spring, E gets two boosters (which we already own), Sophia inherits the GN and ProSport and J uses whatever convertible I buy until he outgrows it RFing and then goes in the Radians. I hate how the Radians fit in my car and DH's car so I want to avoid using them as long as possible :p

Honestly, the one seat I really had no complaint about was my old Marathon's which I no longer have. Both kids really used those the longest. It wasn't until around age 2 that I hated the cramped leg room and got them Radians. So maybe my best bet is to just get one of those (the old ones) or another RA50 if I can find it (that's the same seat right?). Honestly, I think it was the only seat I really had no complaints about. I think I'll just do that.

Maybe I can stalk CL to find a seat to trade in :)

Mommy0608

I didn't read through all the responses, but from what I've gathered, you don't need something tall, and it doesn't need to last forever, right? In that case, I'd go with the Momentum 65 LX (not DLX) or Symphony 65. I personally love both of those seats! Tyler is in the Symphony 65, and it fits him very well. Even with his cloth butt and average to long torso, he's still on the lowest headrest setting (the lowest two settings can be used rear-facing) so he has plenty of growing room. It's super easy to use and adjust. The only thing I don't like is SureLatch, because it doesn't work (fit) in my Civic, so I had to use the seatbelt to install. Not an issue in my '09 Grand Caravan though. Oh, and I think it has a continuous harness, but I honestly don't really know (I think it does though). We never have an issue with the sides becoming uneven. When I loosen, I unbuckle the crotch buckle, push the release lever and pull on the chest clip. This makes it so that both sides loosen evenly. When I tighten, I buckle him up, then grab the harness at the hips and pull outward to pull all the slack to the hip area, then tighten with the adjuster strap.

I also really like the Momentum 65 LX. My friend just bought it for her 6 month old, 18lb son. It installed beautifully and easily, and fits her child really well! I haven't used it myself, but from what I could tell when I helped her install the seat and fit her child, it looked great. If Tyler hits 35lbs before age 3, this is probably what he'll get next. :)

I know the Symphony 65 is not a popular seat here, probably because of the price and the fact that there are longer lasting seats out there. However, for us, it's a really great seat! My husband even likes it, and that's saying a lot! He doesn't like any seat that's even slightly tricky to use or adjust.

ETA: Just read that you're probably going with the RA50. Definitely not a bad idea to get something you know and love! :)

fyrfightermomma

I didn't read through all the responses, but from what I've gathered, you don't need something tall, and it doesn't need to last forever, right? In that case, I'd go with the Momentum 65 LX (not DLX) or Symphony 65. I personally love both of those seats! Tyler is in the Symphony 65, and it fits him very well. Even with his cloth butt and average to long torso, he's still on the lowest headrest setting (the lowest two settings can be used rear-facing) so he has plenty of growing room. It's super easy to use and adjust. The only thing I don't like is SureLatch, because it doesn't work (fit) in my Civic, so I had to use the seatbelt to install. Not an issue in my '09 Grand Caravan though. Oh, and I think it has a continuous harness, but I honestly don't really know (I think it does though). We never have an issue with the sides becoming uneven. When I loosen, I unbuckle the crotch buckle, push the release lever and pull on the chest clip. This makes it so that both sides loosen evenly. When I tighten, I buckle him up, then grab the harness at the hips and pull outward to pull all the slack to the hip area, then tighten with the adjuster strap.

I also really like the Momentum 65 LX. My friend just bought it for her 6 month old, 18lb son. It installed beautifully and easily, and fits her child really well! I haven't used it myself, but from what I could tell when I helped her install the seat and fit her child, it looked great. If Tyler hits 35lbs before age 3, this is probably what he'll get next. :)

I know the Symphony 65 is not a popular seat here, probably because of the price and the fact that there are longer lasting seats out there. However, for us, it's a really great seat! My husband even likes it, and that's saying a lot! He doesn't like any seat that's even slightly tricky to use or adjust.

ETA: Just read that you're probably going with the RA50. Definitely not a bad idea to get something you know and love! :)

Do you have any pics of Tyler in the Symphony? ( you could PM me or send it on FB if you'd like).

Also why not the DLX Momentum? If I get it, I don't want to screw up :p Will I know the difference?

I just need to see a pic of a kid in the Momentum! I actually think I might go with an Evenflo. With a trade in, it'll save me a good chunk of change vs what the Marathons are at BRU.

cookie123

Check CL. I've seen them on ours a few times. NIB.

featherhead

Do you have any pics of Tyler in the Symphony? ( you could PM me or send it on FB if you'd like).

Also why not the DLX Momentum? If I get it, I don't want to screw up :p Will I know the difference?

I just need to see a pic of a kid in the Momentum! I actually think I might go with an Evenflo. With a trade in, it'll save me a good chunk of change vs what the Marathons are at BRU.

The DLX has the SureLatch connectors, which don't work in many vehicles. The LX has the regular alligator connectors I believe. I would love to get a Momentum, but right now it's a little bit too pricey ($249 in Canada), so I'm sticking with the Triumph 65.

Mommy0608

I have a few in my Car Seats album on Facebook... some are just in the house trying it out (both Jessica and Tyler), but there's one of him in the car in it. I'll try to take some more pics of him tomorrow and post them for ya. :)

I prefer the LX because it has the nice push-on LATCH connectors rather than the SureLatch, which can be incompatible in some cars. Also, the LX doesn't have the weird "bubble" in the cover like the DLX does (up by the head area... it squishes down with pressure, but looks pretty silly). The LX is also $20 cheaper, which is nice. I think the only real (intended) difference is the SureLatch. The LX style name is Black Rock, and the DLX is Olympic.

I'm not sure which has a taller shell, the Momentum 65 or the Symphony 65 with the headrest on the 2nd lowest position (which is the highest position allowed for RF use). Not sure if booster mode is a perk for you or not (Momentum doesn't turn into a booster of course).

ETA: I just sent the pic of Tyler in the Symphony 65 to you on FB. I think I sent it as a message... hope you get it, I haven't tried sending pics that way before. :p

ETA (again): I think the Momentum only has one crotch buckle position... not sure if that matters to you. I honestly can't remember if the Symphony has more than one... even with his CD butt, the crotch strap isn't an issue for Tyler at this point.

Cryssy Jane

Here's amare in the momentum. He was 11 months, 30lbs, 14.5 inch torso.
IMG_3776.jpg
IMG_3773.jpg
IMG_3774.jpg

ETA: My BRU sucks... no test bench sorry.

Last edited:

NannyMom

ummm, can you share a pic of the SS1 outgrown? THAT I have to see ;)

I like the Momentum. I agree with getting the non-surelatch one ;) It's shell height is about the same as the EFTA I believe, and no knobs.

I measured the Marathon 70 at 23.5 inches shell height, and the old ones I believe are 24. Have we had them installed side by side for "room to grow" comparisons? I think the Titan is 23ish, and the EFTA measures just slightly higher (not 24), but Sofi is over the top of the Titan shell, and has a couple inches to go in the EFTA.

If you know you loved the Marathon65, go for it.

fyrfightermomma

i can snap one tomorrow. If you search you can find the post with pics when I got it. It has pics of him in his outgrown KF at 2 months old and him in the SS1 with only like two inches to grow at 2 months old lol. Its nuts! I put away his 12m clothes tonight :-/ He now wears 18m. :-o

ETA: Here's him in the KF when it was pretty much outgrown at just about 3 months (got the age wrong) There are pics of him in the SS1 then when we got it about 3 months ago. He's pretty much doubled in size since then :p I think that outfit he was wearing was a 6-9 and he now is 18m.
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=128515

melniemi

I'm in the same boat as you with needing a seat for just a few months. I'll turn dd2 ffing in the spring and put dd1 in a booster in the summer. But I need a rfing convertible since baby is getting close to the limits on his kf (that your baby outgrew months ago, lol)

I think J might officially be bigger than A. Maybe similar height, but A's 18.8#s as of tonight when he hopped on my scale(could be off, who knows? lol)

fyrfightermomma

I'm in the same boat as you with needing a seat for just a few months. I'll turn dd2 ffing in the spring and put dd1 in a booster in the summer. But I need a rfing convertible since baby is getting close to the limits on his kf (that your baby outgrew months ago, lol)

I think J might officially be bigger than A. Maybe similar height, but A's 18.8#s as of tonight when he hopped on my scale(could be off, who knows? lol)

EEK! I wanna say J is about 29" now and 22 lbs LOL

Meg

4. Try a new Britax but that scares me. While I don't need a tall seat, they seem super short.

My youngest has the same stats as your son and I really like the way he fits in the new Britax seats. Here's a pic of him in a BLVD 70:
0828101440b.jpg

(The harness wasn't buckled, so he was leaning a bit foward.) I wouldn't dismiss the seat just yet on account of your son being big, he might fit great. :thumbsup: I preferred the way my son fit in the BLVD over his Radian.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC