A Vehicle For My Radians?

Chely7425

So, I just had to buy 2 Radians to make 3 across work in my Liberty. We are looking at a new vehicle in a few months and since I just spent 400+ dollars on 2 car seats the new vehicle needs to fit them! I know some vehicles aren't good with Radians. When we purchase this vehicle we will have an almost 3 year old, an almost 2 year old and a 4-6 month old. All 3 will be in RF seats until the baby outgrows the infant seat at which point the oldest will most likely go FF (probably close to 4). Anyway... here is my list of needs:

1. Fits 2 RF seats (1 SR35 and 2 Radians)
2. Will eventually fit 2 FF seats, boosters, etc.
3. Storage space (3 littles means a double stroller is a must)
4. 15-18K price range
5. 2008 or newer

So... hit me with vehicle ideas! I have heard good things about the newer Sedonas.. do they work well with Radians? I am thinking taking out a captains seat if we get a van and putting 2 seats 3rd row and 1 2nd row. What about the grand caravan?

ADS

Chely7425

Forgot to mention.. I would prefer not to do a 3 across but if it is a really wide backseat that will fit 2 or 3 boosters that is fine! I would like decent gas mileage and an SUV would be a plus, but I realize a van might just be a fact of life at this point :D

mommy-medic

Know you said 08 or newer- and I haven't checked out the 08's- but when my 07 sienna was totaled thanks to a text messaging 16 year old, I got an 05 toyota Sequoia. I can't say enough great things about it!!! It drives beautifully, has had ZERO maintinence issues (Got mine used at carmax within that price range with under 50k miles on it).

The middle row is a 60/40 split (seats 3- lap shoulder all positions), both sides can tumble for access to rear. Middle row seats three (with latch in center and driver side).

Back row is a 50/50 split (Seats three, lap shoulder all positions)- seats are removable if you need extra room for little's gear. Seats can also be folded down and slid forward- for extra room if you are somewhere where you can't take the seat out and leave it. I/m not positive on latch in rear- know for sure it is in passenger position but haven't played with driver side. Pretty sure it's not in center with the split.

Even with all 8 seats occupied, there is a LOT of room in the back behind the rear row for storage- more than the typical 2" a mid-size SUV offers- yet you aren't driving a land yacht! (I know the newer sequoias look a lot bigger, and i personally can't stand the look of them- but to each his own.)

Here is what I have- http://media.carbook.com/autoBuilderData/stockPhotos/5492.jpg

My girls are 11 (adult belt), 9 (Monterey), and 3 (RFing radian). I frequently carry extra kids, and 3 across (or two car seats and an adult) is no problem!

Oh- it does successfully install radians in center and drivers side (without forcing driver to scoot forward), middle row! (RFing and FFing) :thumbsup:

ETA interior pics- a RFing radian, and a regent and blvd side by side, middle row, with room to still tumble the passenger seat freely!!! :O

RFing-3yo.png

myseats.png

luckyclov

1. Fits 2 RF seats (1 SR35 and 2 Radians)
2. Will eventually fit 2 FF seats, boosters, etc.
3. Storage space (3 littles means a double stroller is a must)
4. 15-18K price range
5. 2008 or newer
I have a 2009 Grand Caravan.
I have 3 kids - 1 in a Britax Regent (captains chair), 1 in a Radian80SL (the other captain's chair - RF and tethered), and a Britax Parkway in the 3rd row, outboard spot of the 40 part of the 40/60 seat.
The GC is super compatible with the Radian, using LATCH. One of the easiest installs I have done. One of the reasons I chose the GC was for the compatibility with the Radian.:p

There is only one set of lower anchors in the 3rd row - off center in the middle spot. If you use the LATCH there, you lose the other outboard spot. If you use the SB, you can still snuggle 3 across, but there's only 1 top tether (in the middle spot).

There is cargo space galore, even with all of the seats up and in place. We store things in the floor compartments where the seats go for stow n go.

GCs are generally less expensive then most minivans, but I'm not sure that you'll be able to find one 2008 or newer in that price range, unless it were base. Mine is an SXT with several options and was stickered $12K more than your high point. But, GCs don't hold their value as well as others, so buying used may make a big difference...I don't know.

Would I recommend the GC? Yes, *I* would. It's my 2nd and I'll most def get another one. The "cons" (lack of LATCH in 3rd row and crappy MPG) aren't enough to sideline the "pros" for me.

Chely7425

Thanks for the ideas guys! I have found the GC with some options (automatic sliding doors and a few other things) in my price range. I don't mind the not holding value thing because we plan on driving it till it dies. You said the latch is off center in the 3rd row... does that mean that a seat installs outboard with seatbelt (a RF seat or booster) would not be RIGHT next to a seat installed with latch? My radians have super latch so that means I can use latch over 40 or 48 pounds or whatever in the newer GC right?

luckyclov

You said the latch is off center in the 3rd row... does that mean that a seat installs outboard with seatbelt (a RF seat or booster) would not be RIGHT next to a seat installed with latch? My radians have super latch so that means I can use latch over 40 or 48 pounds or whatever in the newer GC right?
I don't know the answer to the SL question because we haven't crossed that path yet. Hopefully a tech can answer for you. I know the GC manual says to follow the LATCH limits in the car seat's manual, though.

The LATCH in the 3rd row is off center (on the 60 side of the 40/60 split bench). So, if you installed a RF Radian using LATCH, you would lose the outboard driver's side spot back there. You'd still have use of the passanger side outboard spot for a SB installed (no top tether there, though) car seat or a booster. There would be a slight open space between the two.

Emunds.com has all the specs of the different vehicles...I have no idea off hand if there's any difference in specs between the GC models.

Chely7425

I don't know the answer to the SL question because we haven't crossed that path yet. Hopefully a tech can answer for you. I know the GC manual says to follow the LATCH limits in the car seat's manual, though.

The LATCH in the 3rd row is off center (on the 60 side of the 40/60 split bench). So, if you installed a RF Radian using LATCH, you would lose the outboard driver's side spot back there. You'd still have use of the passanger side outboard spot for a SB installed (no top tether there, though) car seat or a booster. There would be a slight open space between the two.

Thank you :) This is what I was wondering... I don't like having to seats RIGHT next to each other, plus it is likely that when my oldest goes FF he would be in the middle 3rd row with a RF seat installed SB outboard next to him.

christineka

The sienna would work as long as you don't want to put a rfing radian in the middle-most seat. Three across the 8 passenger is really easy. I think you could put any combo of wide seats across. I've had a regent, true fit, and radian across the middle row.

Chely7425

When you say middle most seat do you mean middle row or middle seat of the middle row? I was thinking at first I want 2 RF RN in the 2nd row and the infant seat middle row... or something :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC