TrueFit with a suspected small newbie

Kappy

Senior Community Member
Yes, I'm a newbie, but a long time reader. I usually just stay on babycenter (I'm the creator of the ERF group there! yay).

We're expecting our second child in February, and for the life of me I can't find any really good pictures of newborns in TrueFits. I'm thinking about the Premiere, simply for the ARB.

I don't want to get an infant seat, just to need another convertible. I'm not looking to give our newbie our DS's current seat, and the aspect of just saving money is quite nice.

Our DS is almost 3 (in November), and I go back and forth with RF and FF for him. He is in a BLVD CS, and he fits wonderfully RF and FF. He's 27 pounds, 34 inches tall, with maybe a 12 inch torso. He barely fit in the BLVD at 17 months. He has an extremely short torso. If I had to guess, he probably has about 4 inches of shell above his head. So our BLVD is going to last a very long time for him, and I'm fairly certain that I'm gonna keep him in it until he is boostering age.

The infant seats were are considering are the KeyFit30 and Flex-Loc (30 ver). This will not be our last child, so I'm thinking the infant seat may be a better idea?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
How small of a baby are you expecting? Five pounds? A 50% newborn? My daughter fit great in the TFP from birth. She was 7 pounds 12 ounces.

3934911613_b02d838203.jpg

That's her at three days old.

I like the Keyfit, but I do not like the BT. If you're installing it with LATCH it's ok, but the handle has to be down, and a seatbelt install is enough to make me cry.

Wendy

Kappy

Senior Community Member
I'd say around 7 pounds, give or take. Our DS was 7 pounds 5 ounces, but dropped to 7 even when discharged. He was 20 inches long. He had a very short torso, and it didn't seem like his SR22 fit him really well. Granted, I didn't know anything compared to what I know now about CPS.

The handle position of the infant seats really doesn't bother me. I have a Town and Country, and we're all short. So there is PLENTY of room between the vehicle seats and RF CRs.

With the infant seat I'm leaning more for the KF. I like its design and install a lot better. I'm really liking the infant insert on it. DH just likes the carrying handle a lot more on the BT. I don't care about that, because I probably won't use it that much since I plan on babywearing with this one.

I'm considering the convertible due to money saving and the fact that I plan on BWing.

I have full authority on car seat safety due to my past profession. DH doesn't really have any say, but I do like his opinions.

I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch and purchase something that I'm not happy with.

LM4M

CPST Instructor
I have no advice (except a "yeah that" to whatever Wendy said), just wanted to say welcome to the board :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC