I broke Judi's Radian :(

brooklynsmommy

Ok, it happened when we were installing it, but I'm taking blame for it. Yesterday at our play date she helped me install the XTSL RF in the center of my 96 Explorer. I hopped on it to get it tight and we got in in tight enough after two tries. After DD rode in it to the mall it slipped way back. I thought the tether just had slack in it. It felt tight when I tried to move it. Today I loosened up the tether all the way to check how loose it was. I noticed that the curved part on the upper part of the boot was up against the brown plastic part (see pictures below) and that what was making it feel tighter than it was. So I took it out to place it outboard and saw the damage to the poor boot. In the bight of all of the seats is (I believe) the hinges for all of the seats to be able to lay flat. The foot of the boot was right on it when we were installing it.
0826175636.jpg

0826175732.jpg

ADS

jaded

Eek! At least it's just the boot though, and not the entire seat. But see, that's why I haven't tried too hard to install the Radian in my husband's '01 explorer, it has those weird metal/plastic points on the rear bench too.

brooklynsmommy

Outboard there is more than enough room. I have just never ridden in the back. So I didn't really know about those dumb things.

jaded

for me, it would have to be in the middle too, as the shoulder belts are needed for my older kids.

good to know, sorry it came at the expense of the Radian though.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I believe it is the new boot. :eek: at that first pic! Now I have learned something new about the Explorer.

autumnlily

I looked at the new boot with my radian razor eyes and the base did the same thing. I think the whisper of it alone could break that boot. (both of mine look similiar.

soccer_widow

The same thing happened to my boot in my Pathfinder. SK sent me a new one for free. I was planning to pay for it since it was my stupid car's fault, but they said it was no problem, and sent me a new one.

Mae

That upright install is so not fair.

I can get a 29* in mine. :whistle:

I just uninstalled my brother's Radian and noticed the boot was messed up, too. However, his isn't near as bad as yours. I imagine it'll get there soon though... :(

This is a major flaw in the boots. How many threads have we had JUST on this same exact problem?! Not cool.

menfusse

Same thing happened to my boot in our Jeep. I think it hits the lower tether anchors. Mind did it after being installed center, and our Commander has center LATCH. There wasn't anything else to hit in the center but the anchors.

Anyway, they sent me a new boot no questions asked. Seems like they'd get a bit tired of that and re-work the spacing a bit or something.

hrice

Same thing happened to my boot in our Jeep. I think it hits the lower tether anchors. Mind did it after being installed center, and our Commander has center LATCH. There wasn't anything else to hit in the center but the anchors.

Anyway, they sent me a new boot no questions asked. Seems like they'd get a bit tired of that and re-work the spacing a bit or something.

Same thing here. I also have a Commander. They sent me a "new" (it came dirty and scratched and had long dog hair stuck to it) boot and the same thing happened again, just not as bad. I haven't replaced it. It is not affecting the install at all.

NannyMom

Same thing here. I also have a Commander. They sent me a "new" (it came dirty and scratched and had long dog hair stuck to it) boot and the same thing happened again, just not as bad. I haven't replaced it. It is not affecting the install at all.

:ROTFLMAO: Maybe they ran out of boots because of all the replacements and Russ had to give you his. :( Sorry they sent you a nasty boot though.

hrice

:ROTFLMAO: Maybe they ran out of boots because of all the replacements and Russ had to give you his. :( Sorry they sent you a nasty boot though.

I wondered if they are pulling them off of the ones from the crash replacement program. From the condition of this one it was definately used!

menfusse

Um...ew. The only reason I replaced mine, because it wasn't quite as bad, was because I was selling the seat. I couldn't sell it that way, so I got the new boot for the new owner, lol.

Lulu

I hate those boots. They need to fix this problem. Mine is not that bad, but it is definitely splitting.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC