Fractured Femur & 2 month old

scoutingbear

nak

Friends of ours are on their way to the hospital to pick up a 2 month old with a fractured femur. :( I think he is in a spica cast and most likely needs to be flat. Of course they are thinking car seat to get him home in. They have a KF 30 and a MR. There is no help or resources for a special needs seat so they have to just make it work. They had a baby a year and 1/2 ago with a similar situation. (Can't seem to find the thread on it for the good advice either). The other seats that I have and could lend them are a radian, scenera, and CCO. A car bed is most likely out of the question and although they plan to keep hm at home as much as possible, they will have to take him to dr appts, visits, etc. Any advice on getting him to ride safer would be appreciated. They are going to try and get him in the MR to bring him home as it has more harness length than the KF.

ADS

scoutingbear

The problem that they are having is that the baby is casted flat, without a bend in the cast with both legs straight in front. At least that is how the baby they had last time was casted for the same type of fracture. Per advice here we ended up setting up the radian for that baby with folded receiving blankets under her bottom as a "filler" for the times she HAD to be in the car. I know that is not best practice and am hoping to help them figure out if there are any safer solutions with the seats they have now. I'll know more when they actually pick him up. I think they have both the KF and the MR with them, just to try and get him home.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
The coccoro may be a good fit also. Flat casting is not really the norm for most femur fractures. Generally, it is best to keep the hip flexed some to preserve as much range of motion as possible. Casted children, like many special needs car seat issues, is not as black and white as with typical children. Do the best you can to get as close to best practice as you can. If that means using receiving blankets to support the baby, that is fine.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Radian is sometimes the best fit. I just took the SN training, if they are still having fit issues when I get back (I'll be back by Tuesday) feel free to have them contact me, I'm happy to talk to them and/or see them.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC