:( my 3 yr old gained 6 lbs in the last 6 months :( NOW WHAT?

Jocey'sMommy

So we took my 3 1/2 yr old to the doc yesterday for a bug bite. In feb she weighed 28lbs and she has always been a slow gainer so I assumed that we would make it to 4 yrs RFing in the Marathon and RA50 with the 35lbs weight limit . . . .BOO!! Cause yesterday she was 34LBS at the doc :( SO now she is FFing and I am trying to figure out what to do, I really don't have the money for two new seats until her birthday in Feb but I really don't want her FFing . . . Should I sell my two seats and two extra covers to buy 1 new seat and then the 2nd one later when I do have the funds or should I just FF?? I really really really want her RFing and if I had the money I would have already gone out and gotten the seats. So what seats have a heigher shell than the MAs and have a 40lbs limit.

Also I went to BRU and tried out all the seats and I HATED all of them :(
I don't know what to do since she is older, I don't know what to buy . . . I am just still in shock that MY kid that was 28lbs for a year gained that much weight overnight it seems

ADS

aeormsby

I wouldn't put yourself in a financial bind to keep a 3.5yo RF :twocents:

My DD turned FF at about 3y2m because she had a growth spurt and was within 1-2lb of the 33lb RF limit on our MA's (and this was before the 40lb seats came out). I did briefly consider getting one of the 40lb RF seats when they came out 4 months later, but we had just bought the Frontier at that point so she stayed FF.

You've done GREAT keeping her RF this long. Make sure those seats are installed tightly with the top tether FF and she is very safe. :thumbsup:

Jocey'sMommy

I "know" at her age it is ok, but I am still cought up on the fact that she is still a peanut, she still has about 3 inches growing room height-wize in the seat and she is very very skinny, hardly any muscle tone( 2 months premature) its just a step I had not prepared myself for so soon :(

babyherder

If selling your old seats lets you get a new seat to rear face her longer, I would do it. If she still has growing room, height wise, in the MA what about a 40lb rf scenera? If my only choices were a ff MA or a rf scenera, I would go with the rf scenera.

If you don't have the money, I wouldn't worry about it. You did the best you could and you're still doing the best you can.

jjordan

It was rough on me to turn my dd around to FF as well. But, as the pp said, I wouldn't buy new seats at this point if it presents any sort of financial hardship. I assume the doctor's office weight was fully clothed? If so, then technically you could leave her forward facing a bit longer, if you're willing to do regular weigh-ins. (Incidentally, with small kids it is sometimes more accurate to weigh them by weighing yourself holding them and then yourself alone and subtract. Sometimes scales aren't very accurate for smaller weights.)

Irishmama

I would add that before you buy new seats, check her weight again on another scale. I worked at a vet's office, and our scale would get a little off, and we'd have to get it calibrated. It's possible your doctor's scale was a little off.

Do you have a scale you could weigh something that you know the weight of, like a 40 bag of dog food, to make sure the scale is correct, and then weigh dd again?

Last edited:

Jocey'sMommy

I might have to track down another scale, I was holding her on the scale, but at the same time I keep thinking "really???" how did my slow gainer tiny 3 yr old gain a pound a month over the last 6 months without me noticing??? lol I have the two seats and I can sell two covers, I tried DD out in a scerena not too long ago and she was right at the outgrown limit of the seat RFing, I was even thinking a myride would work same height, different weight. What do you think that I could get for my two seats?? Could selling all four get me anough to buy one Radian now and I can by a back=up later, or I could buy two myrides now?? I really don't know how much I could get for the seats now that both mine are on clearance now anyway :( The only other seat I have considered is the CALX but I honestly think it is way overpriced for what you get

NannyMom

Why the CALX and not just the CA? It's priced lower, and you can get an even better deal if you have some old baby equipment to trade in.

ETA: I agree with weighing her again first. That's ALOT of weight to gain in a short period, when most children her age average 3-4 pounds per year.

Jocey'sMommy

the CALX, I tried the reg CA out in my van and it was a pain to install, I never got the angle I wanted and it was looser than I was comfy with :( I think I will take her tomorrow night to my dad's er and get him to weigh her a few times lol

Irishmama

I wouldn't worry too much about getting new seats until you know if the weight you got at the doctor's was correct. I know someone else had that issue recently, and when they weighed the child again somewhere else, the doctor's (I think it was a dentist's) scale was off. Maybe bring something to compare, like a 10 bag of flour, to see if the scale is accurate. I can't imagine lugging a big bag of dog food into an ER. :D

Keep in mind too, that most kids have a break from gaining after a big gain, if she truly is 34 lbs. So if she gained 6 pounds in six months, she may not gain for awhile, and would get another six months in her current seats.

As far as selling your seats, have you checked to see what they are going for on your local Craigslist? The average person doesn't know about the new Britax's. I know I didn't keep up on that before I came here! :p So you might still be able to get a decent amount for them. And there will still be people with "classic" Britaxes who want to buy covers for them. :whistle:

So the short version of my long winded reply is make sure her weight is accurate first, then go from there. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC