EFTA vs MR (rear facing) any pros/cons?

a_js

I have my eye on whichever one of these goes on sale first as what I'll get for new baby. But before I do that, I thought I'd check with those of you who have used both (I've used neither--primarily interested in them for the RF weight limit) and see if you'd recommend one over the other, or anything I should know. I drive a Toyota Matrix and the seat will be on the passenger side, if it matters.

Thanks very much for any thoughts :thumbsup:

ADS

daycaremom2002

I haven't used either personally, but I have seen many complaints about the EFTA adjusting knobs pressing into the seat back when used rear facing. It makes it difficult to tighten or loosen the harness and in some cases has caused damage to the vehicle seat back.

Angela

I haven't tried the MR (will be trying it out tomorrow though), but I have had 2 Triumphs... the older generation and the EFTA.
Pros
high rear facing weight limits
high forward facing weight limits for a convertible
small front to back width (fits well behind tall drivers)

Cons
Knobs - especially the release on them. They always tend to stick on me.
Lack of comfort pads on the harness
Infinite adjust harness - goes hand in hand with the lack of comfort pads, since you can't add thin socks to the straps to help out with digging into necks
Large seat width - bad for putting more than 2 seats in a car.

My personal opinion, try out both and see what you like best.

cookie123

I think the knobs are a good thing if you have flat seat backs - no digging for the front adjuster. I've only used them on the Bolero though. I like the OH pattern! I'm not a fan of the high bases, though. I'd pick the Radian if it worked in my vehicle easily, personally.

a_js

Thanks all! I do have a Radian, and I'd have preferred to use it, but that lovely RF boot makes it impossible.

I wish I could try both, but I can't find anywhere here that has the MR. I can site-to-store order it at two places, though, which is good for returns if I need to.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
If you ever want to do a three across, an EFTA probably won't work. Well, unless you have my Dodge Ram 2500, but hey, I can do a three across with regents there.

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
If you're interested in the Evenflo Triumph 65, you might want to consider the Evenflo Momentum as well. Babies R Us has 2 versions of the Momentum, one with Evenflo's SureLATCH (which make the seat easy to install, but isn't always compatible with a car's lower anchors) and one with the push-on/alligator style LATCH. I believe that the shell might be a little taller on the Momentum than the Triumph, but I think it otherwise has the same limits as the Triumph 65 (40 pounds rear-facing/65 forward-facing), though I'm not sure about the harness height, either. I also believe that the Momentum doesn't have the knobs that sometimes can be irritating on the Triumph.

I have a My Ride, and I really like it rear-facing (haven't used it forward-facing yet, though it seems like it installs really reclined in a lot of cars, which doesn't bother me, because I need it for the RFing weight limit). Easy to install, easy to use. My son did think it was cramped compared to his Radian on a long car trip that we took, but other than that, he seems to like it.

a_js

A 3-across is so hard in a Matrix anyway, that isn't really a factor.

Why am I now craving cookies..

Does anyone know which has the tallest shell/harness height? I think it's the EFTA, but am not quite sure. I'm going to go look at the Momentum--thanks!

Mommy2Marcus

I have had & used both as a primary seat. I loved both, but in the end the EFTA was still my favorite seat for RF. My son will be 4 in 6 weeks & would still fit in both RF with about 1 inch to grow. However he is really close to the weight limit when fully dressed of the EFTA. The EFTA also fits better in my smaller back seat RF.

In the end, if I had to decide right now which one to buy for RF, I am not sure which one I would pick. Both are really great seats. However I would probably pick the MR for the higher weight limit & the cup holders. Marcus LOVED those cupholders.

featherhead

A 3-across is so hard in a Matrix anyway, that isn't really a factor.

Why am I now craving cookies..

Does anyone know which has the tallest shell/harness height? I think it's the EFTA, but am not quite sure. I'm going to go look at the Momentum--thanks!

I sold my EFTA a while ago, but IIRC the top harness position was 17-17.5 inches. The MyRide is more like 16-16.5 inches. As for shell height they are very similar. The last time I measured my kids in all their seats it seemed that the MyRide had about 1/2" more room, but the time before that the EFTA had about 1/2" more room. I guess it's all about the angle they are installed, and how the kid is sitting.

Mom2FiveGirls

I have both and love both. I don't have the actual measurements, but the EFTA has higher top slots/harness settings. My 6.5 year old fits in the EFTA with a little bit of harness room left. She has been over the top slots in the MR since we got it last October. I personally love the knobs on the EFTA! I have a 2000 Ford Excursion and the harness adjuster on the MR can get buried so its hard to get to sometimes. The knobs don't dig into the seat at all in my truck. I also love it because I babysit and my 3 year old also likes to ride in the EFTA and the infinite harness comes in really handy! I'm thinking about putting the EFTA in DH's car and that way DD#3, 4, or 5 could all ride in it if they needed to and the harness could be adjusted to fit any of them easily. The EFTA is a big seat and probably wouldn't puzzle well with other seats for 3 across, etc. I have the MR and the EFTA beside each other (3 across with the MR, EFTA and nbb) but I also have a beast of a vehicle... The MR is wide at the cup holders, but because of the small base, I've been able to puzzle it with other seats in other vehicles.

For FFing, I'd prefer the EFTA. For RFing, I love the 40 lb weight limit on the MR. I have short torso'd kids apparently. DD#4 still fits in the MR RFing. She'd still fit RFing in the EFTA if it weren't for the 35 lb limit (she's 38 lbs).

I guess if I could only have one seat, I'd probably pick the EFTA. I love both of them though!

gigi

The EFT65 is out now (which is essentiall an EFTA with highter weight limits - the same limits as the My Ride). I'd go with that or a Momentum. If it were me, I'd buy the Momentum b/c I like the SIP better and the alligator latch. But I do LOVE my EFTA, so I'd recommend either the 65 or the Momentum.

Mom2FiveGirls

The EFT65 is out now (which is essentiall an EFTA with highter weight limits - the same limits as the My Ride). I'd go with that or a Momentum. If it were me, I'd buy the Momentum b/c I like the SIP better and the alligator latch. But I do LOVE my EFTA, so I'd recommend either the 65 or the Momentum.

I was just coming back to edit my post to add that... If I was buying a new seat right now, I'd go with the EFTA65 over the MR! :)

jujumum

I haven't used the EFTA, but use the MR both ff & rf.

I think they are both great seats, but something to think about is the type of seat you like to use. I LOVE the heavy, solid, plush, super adjustable factors of the EFTA & the new Momentum. However, I also love the simple design and use of the MR, which is very similar to the use of an MA.

Ultimately, for us, I decided that on a day to day basis, that I'd be happier with the simple design of the MR rather than the fiddly looking, more complicates adjusters and red tabs of the EFTA.

:)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The Momentum is nice, but I keep messing with the bottom/back where the bum goes and it seems so hard when you take the infant padding out, and the metal seat tracks are right there on the front of the seat...I dunno, the rest of the seat, where the child isn't actually touching it, is so poufy and comfy, it's strange to be so hard and weird where they sit!
I do rather prefer the My Ride for it's simplicity, too (replaceable harness...you may never NEED to replace it, but you CAN, which makes it nice).
Roundabout 55 is a comparable price...you've ruled out all the Britaxes already? Or the True Fit Premier is nice, too (I prefer seats with rebound management--RF tether or anti rebound bar-- when I intend to use them a long time, personally, but that's just me).
They are all at least 24", bum to top of shell, and will fit (MOST....please, no one bother chiming in with your huge or teensy kids stats, I know they are out there ;)) kids till 3-4 RF easily (FF to 5+)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC