Vent I can't decide what to do!!!!

purplemama

The BRU trade in starts Fri. so I want to get a seat then. BUT...... I can't freaking decide if I want to do a bucket or a convertible with the new baby!!!! DH wants a bucket but I'll be the one dealing with it the most. Part of me wants a bucket but then I think well, I want to babywear so what would be the point? I am horribly indecisive and this is driving me insane since I got the postive test!! ARRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ADS

jjordan

You live in Michigan, so personally I'd go with a bucket. I am the type to slip on ice occasionally even if I'm careful, so I feel like a baby is safer being carried in a carseat than being carried by me.

Plus, when I had a baby and a toddler at the same time, I found it hard to have the baby in a sling while I was lifting the toddler into and out of the shopping cart. So it was handy for me to have the baby in the carseat while we went grocery shopping. The carseat went in the main basket, the toddler in the child seat, and groceries wherever I could stuff them in between. :)

dhardawa

I would definitely go with the infant seat, especially if you're in a cold climate. They are so convenient because you don't have to wake up the baby if s/he is asleep. Plus, they fit small babies much better.

mydogteaser

I like buckets as well. Especially for winter babies. If you get one of the higher weight buckets, it will be a year or more until you need a convertible. And then who knows what will be out to choose from for convertibles!

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
Do you have access to another seat to trade? Can you get both? Then as soon as winter hits, you can switch to the bucket and switch back once it warms up again?

TerisBoys

I agree with the others.

Just because you have a bucket doesn't mean you can't wear baby. The bucket can stay in the car easily if the situation suits. Or if baby is sleeping and you're somewhere that you can use the bucket, you can take it in.

That said, I only used a bucket with my littlest (Born Oct 5) for about 6 weeks. I had a problem with his bucket's harness and opted to move him into a convertible wearing a fleece snowsuit at that point.

That said, if it were me, today...I'd get a SR 35 or an OnBoard 35 and plan to leave it in the car the majority of the time. Having a 3yo and newbie is a lot different than having an older child and a newbie. You may find that you need the baby contained in the bucket more often than you anticipate.

NannyMom

I'd say get the bucket. Just because you can take it out of the car, doesn't mean you have to. You can leave the seat in the car and wear baby. Then in winter if you find it easier to buckle and blanket baby in the warm house, you have that option.

canadiangie

This is easy. ;)

Get a larger longer lasting infant seat, and if you never want to lug it around simply leave it in the vehicle and treat it as a convertible. For the odd times you 'need' to lug the kid in his/her bucket detach it from the base and go. :thumbsup:

geekKT

I know how you feel; I was in your place a few months ago. I went back and forth, and back, and forth, and probably back again on my decision of bucket vs. convertible.

I did end up going convertible (TFP) from birth, for these reasons: 1) DS is an April baby. I figured by the time winter rolled around I wouldn't want to lug a bucket around anyway. 2) I don't have any older kids to wrangle. 3) I figured I could hate it and would know to get a bucket next time.

In your situation, though, I'd probably make the opposite choice. I love the PP's suggestion of using a larger bucket seat and leaving it in the car as that's essentially the same thing, but gives you the option to take it out if you would need to. :thumbsup:

Pixels

I love the covers on the BT30s. So pretty. Just don't forget to put the handle down in the car. We forgot several times with just one kid; I expect we'll forget more with a second.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC