Testing New Rep/Thanks System

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Effective immediately, there are a few changes as discussed and some others:

1) You can now leave 8 Thanks and 2 Reputation clicks per day

2) Thanks now give 1 rep point each (instead of zero) and should appear in a member's reputation log

3) You can now leave reputation in any forum, including all community forums except the Senior Community Member Forum (that is purged periodically and would result in a loss of reputation points anyway).

4) Reputation you give is worth the same as before, except in the community member chat forum where it is worth 50%. The points you give per click (your reputation powe) is based on your time registered, number of posts and your own reputation. I am not sure if these are rounded up or down, but we will find out soon!

5) Thanks is not available in the main community member chat or senior community member chat forums, but is available in the TMI and TTC forums.

6) You can now remove Thanks. This was made effective a little while ago. I assume that will also remove rep. I do not know how this would appear in someone's reputation log. Anytime a thread is removed by the author or a moderator, it is likely that the Thanks and corresponding reputation will be removed.

7) New members must have 100 posts and at least one earned reputation click (6 total points) to leave reputation for other members. This is up from 1 point each. The requirement to leave Thanks remains at 1 post.

8) You now have to "spread" reputation around only 4 times instead of 5. Basically one per person per 48 hour period.

This is a trial. It may revert to the old system if it doesn't work out well and may be completely disabled or revamped when the big upgrade is completed, probably at the end of the year.

As a reminder, you may opt out of the Thanks system altogether by sending a request to me or Admin via Private Message. The Thanks button will no longer appear, though you will still see that members have received Thanks on their posts.

Also, the requirements for the "Carseat Guru" usergroup will increase in terms of reputation, given that newer members can give a lot more rep points than before.

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The changes from earlier were not working as intended due to rounding in the system resulting in some rep clicks being worth zero points. The intent is to allow people to leave more total Rep/Thanks clicks per day and at least as many total rep points per day.

With the new system, I think it accomplishes this better and is less confusing. I closed the old thread, you may now comment here.

Consider that Judi is one of those with the most Reputation Power (points per rep click) of any non-moderator. She is worth 8. Before, she could leave 5 Thanks (worth zero before) and 3 rep clicks for 24 total points a day. Now she can leave 2 rep clicks for 16 points plus 8 Thanks for another 8 points, also 24 points per day. That assumes her rep clicks are anywhere outside the communit member chat forum, where she would be worth only 4 points per click.

Anyone with less than 8 reputation power can now leave more total rep per day. For example, someone with 3 power can leave 6 rep plus 8 Thanks for 14 total points, wheras before it was only 9 points from 3 rep (worth 3 each). Someone with 5 power can leave 18 total points, compared to 15 before.

You will probably receive a lot more under the new system, given that Thanks is easier and there are a lot more thanks based points now, especially from newer members with low reputation power.

Please note that you could still possibly get a rep click that is worth zero if it is left by a newer member in the Community forums, depending how the system rounds.

BigDaddy

6) You can now remove Thanks. This was made effective a little while ago. I assume that will also remove rep. I do not know how this would appear in someone's reputation log. Anytime a thread is removed by the author or a moderator, it is likely that the Thanks and corresponding reputation will be removed.
I just thanked this post and then removed it so you could see how it appears.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Good timing because I was doing some testing and checking my reputation frequently for the last 10 minutes or so. I never saw your thanks, so I assume that means thanks-based rep is removed if the thanks is removed.

Also, I confirmed that the system appears to round down. So, a newer member with 1 rep power who leaves a rep click on a post in the community member chat forum will give zero points. This seems to be unavoidable. Fortunately, many newer members will not be able to leave Rep clicks at all due to the post and rep requirements, so it would generally only happen to those who meet the Community Member requirements but have been registered for less than a year.

Anyone with 2 or more power will leave at least one point, but again it rounds down. If you are worth 3 points, you'd give 3 points upstairs but only 1 point in the community member chat forum.

Mae

Please don't shoot me... :eek: but why did you rid of Thanks in the community forums? Snark reasonings? Or could you not disable thanks giving rep if the thanks give rep in other forums?

Mae

I confirmed that the system appears to round down. So, a new member with 1 rep power who leaves a rep click on a post in the community member chat forum will give zero points. This seems to be unavoidable.

Anyone with 2 or more power will leave at least one point, but again it rounds down. If you are worth 3 points, you'd give 3 points upstairs but only 1 point in the community member chat forum.

Wait. I thought that Rep in the CPS forums was given in full power? I thought that rep was only rounded down in the community forums...? So if that's the case, then why is the rep being rounded down in the CPS forums by new members (by equalling zero)?

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Wait. I thought that Rep in the CPS forums wwas given in full power? I thought that rep was only rounded down in the community forums...? So if that's the case, then why is the rep being rounded down in the CPS forums by new members (equalling zero)?

As of 15 minutes ago or so, this should no longer be the case and it should now work as described above.

LM4M

CPST Instructor
I have rep left by someone, where it listed the thread name (like it should) yesterday. Today it says "n/a" for the thread name. I can still see the rep points and the person's name who left it. But a search for the thread turns up nothing. Looks like it's been deleted, since when I go under "my posts", the post I can got rep for isn't listed there. :confused:

So basically, once you get rep points, if someone deletes the whole thread, you keep your rep but you just can't click on the link (well, actually you can't even see the thread title anymore, or where the rep came from, just "N/A").

You may or may not have already known this, but with all the changes with the thanks/rep system, just thought I'd throw it out there since when I have been "thanked" in the past and a thread has been deleted, it does NOT show in your thanked posts. So in that case, I'm not sure if you'd get to keep the points or not.

Mae

I'm pretty sure that I discovered something else, too. I'll test it here in a second.

I think that if you Thank and Rep somebody in the same post, you only get the Rep points. Yesterday (or the day before, I can't remember), I was Thanked and Rep'd by the same member (for the same post) and her name only showed up once in my Rep count history thing. It only showed her Rep, not the Thanked Post.

Let me go experiment on somebody. I'll be back soon.

NannyMom

I'm pretty sure that I discovered something else, too. I'll test it here in a second.

I think that if you Thank and Rep somebody in the same post, you only get the Rep points. Yesterday (or the day before, I can't remember), I was Thanked and Rep'd by the same member (for the same post) and her name only showed up once in my Rep count history thing. It only showed her Rep, not the Thanked Post.

Let me go experiment on somebody. I'll be back soon.

I think I found that too. Judi and MAggie thanked me in 1 post. When I look at my rep list, there's a note from Judi, so she left rep and thanks (and I just got rep for the rep). On the rep list, the thanks rep from Maggie just says "thanked post".

Mae

So you didn't get a point for the thanks?

I didn't in my situation.

I'm experimenting now. I'm PMing somebody and I'm Rep'ing her, then I'm going to Thank her and see what we get. She's checking her Rep count inbetween my Rep and Thank.

Mae

Ok, yeah.

If you Rep and Thank somebody for the same exact post, the other person will only receive your Rep, not your Thank. The Thank doesn't even show up in your Rep count, you'd have to manually go to your Statistics page in your profile and check your Thanks count (who keeps up with that?!) or stumble upon the post you were Thanked for.

However, if you have two seperate posts in the same thread, and the same person Thanks both of your posts, you will still get both Thank points. Does that make sense?

Simplysomething

3) You can now leave reputation in any forum, including all community forums except the Senior Community Member Forum (that is purged periodically and would result in a loss of reputation points anyway).

See, I have rep that was given on threads that no longer exist (some from way back when SCM had rep, and some from far far more recently), and I still have the points--it's just instead of a link back to the thread it says "N/A". My rep count has not gone down.

Why wouldn't the same thing happen if the thread were purged by you instead of deleted by the OP or by another mod?

That said, I do understand why you might not want to have the rep enabled in that forum. I'll survive either way. :)

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I'm not sure. It could be that it will eventually be removed once certain routine maintenance is done. When threads are removed, some counters like post count and others may not automatically be updated. It requires me to click the right button to update the counters during downtimes. It could be that it will be adjusted someday, because some of those maintenance tasks take a long time and so I don't run them as often as others.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC