Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Question Is my very light 6.5 yr old okay in booster?

My 6.5 year old daughter is somewhere around 38 lbs and has hovered at that weight for quite a while now. She's currently in a Graco Nautilus, which we love. The problem is that my younger daughter has just about outgrown her Graco Snugride (She's very small too - 4 yrs old, 30 lbs and FF now.) I'm wondering about the safety of passing the Nautilus on to her and having my older daughter ride in a high-back booster we also have. She is mature enough to sit in it the right way - my only concern is her weight.

Would you wait until she's over 40 lbs or do you think it's safe enough to give her the booster now, given her age and maturity level? We'd like to avoid buying another seat if possible, but I'll certainly buy one if the alternative is unsafe.

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

Re: Is my very light 6.5 yr old okay in booster?

If the booster you have is rated down to 30# and is a highbacked booster, and it fits your child and your car, and is used properly, I would have no qualms about a 38# 6yo in it.

And I hope this was a typo -- you have a 30# 4yo FFing in a Snugride infant bucket? If you indeed do, she needs something else immediately, before you take her in the car again.
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

Quote Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post
    If the booster you have is rated down to 30# and is a highbacked booster, and it fits your child and your car, and is used properly, I would have no qualms about a 38# 6yo in it.

And I hope this was a typo -- you have a 30# 4yo FFing in a Snugride infant bucket? If you indeed do, she needs something else immediately, before you take her in the car again.
    I agree, if she is mature enough, and the booster says that 30# and up can ride, i would personally do it.. maybe you mean Graco MyRide ??
    Gina, mommy to Bella Rae 10/25/07 ~ 30 lbs, 36 inches
    Riding in a Flora Radian XTSL
    and a Pink Sky Frontier 85

I would be fine with you 6.5 year old in a booster. And moving your 4 year old to the Nautilus sounds like a good plan.

I'm sure you are mistaken & that she isn't in an infant bucket. My money is on the ComfortSport.

Unregistered

Thank you! Yes, it was a typo - it's a Comfort Sport. I don't know why I had Snugride in my head - sorry. It's very small (and so are my kids) but it's NOT an infant seat!

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

Yay! I was pretty sure it wasn't the infant seat, but couldn't let it go unnoticed on the off chance it was.
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

LOL, I was at the thought of a 4yo in a SR. Glad to see it was a typo.

What is the highback booster?
    Down to just a spare Radian, folded in the hall closet for my Godbaby.

Check out this thread for a Pilot overview!

Unregistered

Thanks all. Didn't mean to scare anybody!

I think the full name of the booster is this: First Years Compass Ultra Folding Adjustable Booster. My husband bought it a while ago, before we realized our older daughter was too small/young for it. Is this one okay?

Unregistered

One more detail: it's a B530 (First Years Compass Ultra Folding Adjustable Booster)

Thanks for the HUGE pool of knowledge here! I love this place.

Moderator - CPS Technician

Make sure that the booster you have positions the seatbelt well on your daughter. Here is a link with some information about how a booster should position the car's seatbelt. There are also two pictures - one of good seatbelt fit (smiling boy) and another of poor fit (grumpy girl). If you're not sure (and it can be hard to be 100% sure!), then take a picture and post it here for feedback.

My almost 6.5 year old (birthday is 4/11/04) is 38 lbs. She hit 40 lbs a couple months ago and I told her that she could move to a HBB after we were done traveling for the summer. (She's been booster training for a while and I'd been telling her that once she hit 40 lbs she could move to a booster full time). Well, she lost weight. Yesterday she was 38.2 lbs with clothes and shoes on. She's still in a high back booster. She sits well, its rated from 30 lbs, she fits in it well, and I'm comfortable with it. There is a big difference between a 38 lb 6 year old and a 38 lb 3 year old...
    Sarah
    Mom to: Alyssa (13 years, 5'4", seat belt) Makaela (12 years, 5'0", 78 lbs, 5 steps in most vehicles, cosco nbb in DH's truck) Sydney (10 years, 57", 68 lbs, Parkway SG, literider) Lillian (8 years, 75 lbs, 54" Parkway SGL, literider) Ella (7 years, 48 lbs, 48", CA65, Frontier85)