Radian LATCH comparison pictures -- SL vs Non-SL

Mae

I found some old pictures today while I was organizing, so I figured I'd post them. :)

SuperLATCH:

IMG_6877.jpg

IMG_6876.jpg

SuperLATCH on Right, Regular LATCH on Left:

IMG_6882.jpg

Buttons are in different spots; SL on bottom, regular LATCH on top:

IMG_6883.jpg

SL on bottom/left (pinkish webbing), regular on top/right:

IMG_6884.jpg

Side by side comparison-- Regular on left, SL on right:

IMG_6880.jpg

Last edited:
ADS

Irishmama

Holy cow, that's one heavy duty latch connector! I wondered what made the super latch able to hold so much, and now I know. Thanks for posting that! :)

Mae

Holy cow, that's one heavy duty latch connector! I wondered what made the super latch able to hold so much, and now I know. Thanks for posting that! :)

It's literally heavy, too! Weighs a lot more than the regular connectors!

glockchick

Holy ton of hardware batman! :eek:

That explains it.

Would you happen to have pictures of where the latch strap adjusts since many people seem to be having a problem with the SL loosening on them?

Jennifer mom to my 7

IMG_0155_4.jpg

My latch hooks are pretty buried, so the adjuster isn't at the belt path. I think the issue is when the adjuster sits on the belt path at the wrong angle.

Mae

That explains it.

Would you happen to have pictures of where the latch strap adjusts since many people seem to be having a problem with the SL loosening on them?

I can grab one tomorrow! These pictures are from when my brother got his SL, my RN only has the regular old school LATCH. Buuuut, I am expecting an XTSL to arrive tomorrow :whistle: so I can get pictures then! :D

Melanie

I'm using a SL latch strap on a non-SL XT seat (per Sunshine Kids to replace my damaged latch strap).

Differences:

The buckle thing is on the opposite side. I think the SL's buckle piece falls a tiny bit higher on the seat RF. I can see that if the LATCH anchor was out into the car seat more, the buckle might fall in that area where it's not inside the belt path, but too long to be completely outside it.

The webbing is a lot nicer on the SL. It doesn't bunch up like the old one did. In my current car, the webbing really wants to bunch up at the buckle part. It makes it so you can't pull anymore slack because the webbing can't go through the buckle. In this car (squishy seats) it really took 2 people, a lot of strength and a lot of maneuvering the car seat to get in in tight and upright with the old latch strap. It was difficult enough that I broke the plastic covering piece off the buckle of the original LATCH strap. I'm able to get the seat in by myself with the SL strap.

The buckle mechanism seems to work better on the SL. I think the original one was loosening a bit and I don't seem to have that problem now.

Having the new strap has made me like my Radian a lot more.

btw: I did think it was odd that SKP would send me a LATCH strap. I had to cut the holder off the old one to take it out. The new one has the extra webbing to attach it to the seat, but a rivet would need to be drilled out and put back in. So since it's not attached to the seat I don't think it actually meets federal guidelines. I know someone who had a similar issue with a Britax seat and Britax wouldn't give/sell her another LATCH strap.

Melanie

That explains it.

No picture-can't locate my camera cable:rolleyes:. The old one is like the adjuster on the top tether (of the XT and old Marathons). The new one is like the top tether on an old Frontier.

Mae

Here you go. :)

Non SL on top, SL on bottom -- You can see that there's an actual button you have to push, whereas on the SL seats, you just lift the metal tab.

IMG_8964.jpg

IMG_8968.jpg

Now just for fun, the weights of the connectors so you can see how much heavier the SL's are. The NonSL's connectors measured at 9.2 oz and the SL connectors measured at 1lbs, 2oz.

IMG_8980.jpg

IMG_8981.jpg

Last edited:

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Thanks for those pictures! I've only ever owned SL Radians, so it was interesting to see the difference!

I wish it still had the grey push-button LATCH releases. My old Evenflo Express had that for the harness, and I :love: it... it was my favorite harness adjustment ever.

sunnymw

just wanted to add that the newer sl models now have a black latch system instead of the maroon they had before :thumbsup:

Thank you!! I was just looking at the pics a seller sent me for my XTSL and going.. "Wait... that's not a maroon strap... that's just an XT! But everything else says SL!!" and then trying to figure it out, LOL!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC